Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 3, 2018, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SPN Lifer
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

update 29 Sept 2017, effective 1 Oct, 2017

Departure: The airport you are leaving on an international J/F flight* from, i.e. EWR-ORD-NRT
Connecting: The airport to or from which you have a short-haul flight to connect to a longer flight, i.e. EWR-ORD-NRT or NRT-ORD-EWR
Arrival: The airport you arrive at after your long-haul flight, i.e. EWR-ORD-NRT

Hours- 4:30a - 10:45p

*Currently it appears that any departing international flight on an *A partner qualifies (except AC operated transborder flights ), but only United flights with the premium cabin class listed as 'Polaris Business' or 'Polaris First' will qualify for entrance after arriving off a United Polaris flight.
UA premium cabin flights not marketed as Polaris, such as Domestic First or International Business (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean ... ) are not eligible for Polaris lounge access.

Similar / Related Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
IAD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

Status of new permanent EWR United Clubs?
Print Wikipost

EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2023, 12:52 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
It's a fluke if you get seated and served!
United747 likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seanp7
Is 10:30pm new? It has been 10pm sharp closures on my recent visits. I believe the restaurant won't seat you after 9.30pm, perhaps earlier if staff is trying to close it down. It makes the 11pm EWR-LHR flight unattractive (especially if it's delayed!) - it's definitely worth turning up to EWR 2-3 hours before to ensure you get fed in the PL...
I think it might be last seating at 9pm IIRC, assuming the lounge as a whole still closes at 10pm.
And yes, agreed about that 11pm flight, I won't pay for J on that one for this reason.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by fumje
Kind of reads like it's halal cart chicken. Which sounds good to me! 😁
Me too, that's why I wonder what it really is

Originally Posted by kirkwoodj
It's a fluke if you get seated and served!
It's that a joke about the menu item?
Old Feb 8, 2023, 1:32 pm

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by eng3
Me too, that's why I wonder what it really is
I think about the time it takes to get served in the sit-down restaurant. Last two times there for me it took about an hour to get a seat and over another hour to get the meal, two guests the first time and four the second.
Old Feb 8, 2023, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles

Yup!
Old Feb 10, 2023, 5:17 am

Does anyone have any recent data point of using Polaris on a terminal B departure? Someone said he was recently denied terminal C access on a SAS business class boarding pass. Only United boarding passes were allowed?! This happened in February 2023.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 8:30 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by Henrik_B
Does anyone have any recent data point of using Polaris on a terminal B departure? Someone said he was recently denied terminal C access on a SAS business class boarding pass. Only United boarding passes were allowed?! This happened in February 2023.
Have never tried to use a B to enter C, but I've used a C to enter B many times. As far as I know (and from many anecdotes in various threads), any EWR terminal BP should be accepted at any other terminal. Barring a recent change in policy.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by st530
Have never tried to use a B to enter C, but I've used a C to enter B many times. As far as I know (and from many anecdotes in various threads), any EWR terminal BP should be accepted at any other terminal. Barring a recent change in policy.
Agreed. The experience widely reported is that any valid (same day) BP can be used to clear TSA at any terminal. With the recent opening of the new Terminal A, I would think it is even more common.
And would expect many posts if they recently changed the "rules" on that.

Was the report of being denied on FlyerTalk somewhere? Would bet there was something unusual in their attempt.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by st530
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Agreed. The experience widely reported is that any valid (same day) BP can be used to clear TSA at any terminal. With the recent opening of the new Terminal A, I would think it is even more common.
And would expect many posts if they recently changed the "rules" on that.

Was the report of being denied on FlyerTalk somewhere? Would bet there was something unusual in their attempt.
I also did not see the report. Best guess reading between lines is the contract staff guarding TSA queue either turned person away or advised that terminal C is UA only / terminal B is SAS and the person misunderstood it to be a denial. PL access is permitted for long haul *A J departure.

If anyone questions and you simply say you'll use the lounge at C and bus to B, there should be no issue.
SPN Lifer and narvik like this.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 11:04 am

I also did not see the report. Best guess reading between lines is the contract staff guarding TSA queue either turned person away or advised that terminal C is UA only / terminal B is SAS and the person misunderstood it to be a denial. PL access is permitted for long haul *A J departure.

If anyone questions and you simply say you'll use the lounge at C and bus to B, there should be no issue.
The report was published on a Swedish forum, Here is the Google translation:

Unfortunately, no luck for me and my partner in visiting the Polaris lounge today in Newark. We were refused entry to security in Terminal C because we did not have United boarding passes. As I understand it, it is a company whose task is to check exactly that before security. They didn't have a machine to scan the boarding pass with unfortunately.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry

The report was published on a Swedish forum, Here is the Google translation:

Unfortunately, no luck for me and my partner in visiting the Polaris lounge today in Newark. We were refused entry to security in Terminal C because we did not have United boarding passes. As I understand it, it is a company whose task is to check exactly that before security. They didn't have a machine to scan the boarding pass with unfortunately.
Ah, interesting. I would wager fumje has it correct. I wouldn't be surprised if the EWR contract staff were brusque and dismissive, making it seem they were flatly denying access.
Telling staff you are aware of the terminal setup and are going to C to use a lounge should be no problem.
SPN Lifer, kirkwoodj and Henrik_B like this.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 3:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Ah, interesting. I would wager fumje has it correct. I wouldn't be surprised if the EWR contract staff were brusque and dismissive, making it seem they were flatly denying access.
Telling staff you are aware of the terminal setup and are going to C to use a lounge should be no problem.
If that still doesn't work maybe there's a way to get a "gate pass" from the info center like in TPA. Or go-to B. Is there a shuttle to C?
Old Feb 14, 2023, 3:43 am

Originally Posted by AugustusM
I think about the time it takes to get served in the sit-down restaurant. Last two times there for me it took about an hour to get a seat and over another hour to get the meal, two guests the first time and four the second.
I usually wait around 0-30 min, never had to wait an hour. It does often take 20-30 min to get the first course. Usually I'm not sitting there an hour. I guess I'm flying at better times
Old Feb 14, 2023, 5:14 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
I usually wait around 0-30 min, never had to wait an hour. It does often take 20-30 min to get the first course. Usually I'm not sitting there an hour. I guess I'm flying at better times
Last two times I was on the 10:00PM LHR flight. I don't want to eat on the plane at 12-ish so I opt for the menu in the PL. It was jammed both times at around 7:30-8PM when I put my name on the waitlist.
Old Feb 14, 2023, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If that still doesn't work maybe there's a way to get a "gate pass" from the info center like in TPA. Or go-to B. Is there a shuttle to C?
No way to get a "gate pass" that I am aware of. There is no shuttle from B to C, only the reverse.

If someone is really worried about this, they could clear security in the new Terminal A, which United and other airlines all fly out of, then take the shuttle from A to C to visit the Polaris Lounge.
I wouldn't bother though. This is a one-off report from someone who had a bad experience with a Newark employee. If this was wide-spread, there would be posts all over the United Forum about it.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.