Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2018, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by HawkeyeFlyer
I am really not sure. First I have seen or heard of it. However, people don't follow the current boarding process or group numbers, and UA rarely does anything to enforce it. Just try telling elite members of any level or those who paid for economy plus aisles that they have to wait for people in the back with window seats to board first.

Think of how over head space will be further abused and argued over.
they have been doing this new boarding process at lax for over a year now. Elites still board first. Then the G1 Lane is left open for elites (BG1/2) that arrive late and wish to bypass the current remaining lines (BG3/4/5).

Windows have ALWAYS boarded first before aisles. Before basic economy, BG3 was windows. BG4 was middle. BG5 was aisle. It hasn’t changed.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
I received an email about new boarding procedures at IAH (Term E). My gate wound up not using them. However, I had a long layover in IAH so I decided to go on a walk. A lot of "E" gates had new signs that simply had a 1 on the left and a green 2 on the right. None of the gates that had these signs in use had any electronic signage. So how exactly are these supposed to work? I get how groups 1 & 2 would be logical and they can line up in their respective lane. Anyone in groups 3, 4 and 5 will likely be utterly confused.

United, at one point, tested a boarding system in ORD that had two lanes...one for currently boarding and one for "next to board" with electronic signs overhead. This seemed quite logical and could work very easily.

I think United (and all other airlines) have conditioned people to the 5 or 6 group boarding process. Now having just signs for "1" and "2" (granted, they don't have the word 'group' on them) is confusing. They could have changed the game by going with "A" and "B" maybe.

-RM
Old Apr 29, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I received an email about new boarding procedures at IAH (Term E). My gate wound up not using them. However, I had a long layover in IAH so I decided to go on a walk. A lot of "E" gates had new signs that simply had a 1 on the left and a green 2 on the right. None of the gates that had these signs in use had any electronic signage. So how exactly are these supposed to work? I get how groups 1 & 2 would be logical and they can line up in their respective lane. Anyone in groups 3, 4 and 5 will likely be utterly confused.

-RM
I have flown out of LAX several times in the past several months with the "new" system. The boarding groups remain the same as before. United is just saving space in the terminal by not having to have separate lanes for groups 3-5. And those groups are advised how and when to board by very specific and pointed announcements by the gate agent.

The process looks smooth to me. More people do remain seated because they don't have the option of lining up early. I've watched the boarding process on flights that I'm not on just to kill time. It works.

LAX has been undergoing a major renovation over the past few years and the re-designed gate areas were configured for fewer boarding lanes.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 6:31 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I boarded at LAX last week. The lanes were marked Group 1, Group 2, and at the bottom of the sign "Groups 3-5 please stay comfortably seated until your group is called"
Old Apr 29, 2018, 7:43 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
I witnessed exactly this at IAH yesterday. As we were a few minutes to boarding, person after person kept approaching the desk at C-3 asking where to go for group 3, etc and the agent had no clue.. she looked around and said "I'm not sure where the sign went". Great training

Not to mention, this setup might work better in the more compact gate areas in ORD but in IAH where they have the new OTG setup and the 1/2 lanes can be far off to the side, people don't notice them and end up being confused.
sexykitten7 likes this.
Old May 2, 2018, 7:14 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by laxmillenial

they have been doing this new boarding process at lax for over a year now. Elites still board first. Then the G1 Lane is left open for elites (BG1/2) that arrive late and wish to bypass the current remaining lines (BG3/4/5).

Windows have ALWAYS boarded first before aisles. Before basic economy, BG3 was windows. BG4 was middle. BG5 was aisle. It hasn’t changed.
Isn't this basically Delta's Breezeway from over a decade ago? And if it's open for G1/G2 who arrive later, it's not just elites, to be precise.

I haven't had a gate using the new process yet, but will tonight. Wonder if it will make any meaningful difference. Honestly, I'd be happy with two changes:
- Split up Group 2 into those who earned status (UA Gold/Silver, *G/*S) and those who are credit card holders or have purchased Premier Access.
- Prevent people from spilling out into the concourse and blocking traffic.

I mean, this is just dumb and all-too-frequent:

Originally Posted by diburning
I boarded at LAX last week. The lanes were marked Group 1, Group 2, and at the bottom of the sign "Groups 3-5 please stay comfortably seated until your group is called"
I would think that you'd still have to contend with Groups 1 and 2 lining up early, though, and it's typically Group 2 which is the really long one that blocks traffic and causes the most confusion/congestion.
zeer0 likes this.
Old May 2, 2018, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Something like 80% of the people in an airport on any given day fly only once or twice per year, and Americans are getting dumber by the day. Combine those two facts, and short of having gate staffers with cattle prods, there's only so much that can be done to avoid the (dumb) crowding and lines that obstruct the flow of traffic in the concourse.
SFOrunner likes this.
Old May 9, 2018, 2:09 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

Absolute clustermug at RDU earlier this week, this is for boarding at the far end of the concourse and I wasn't last in line. This is just the Group 1 and 2 line. They really need to do something to fix this issue, especially at outstations.
Old May 9, 2018, 2:46 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by CMK10

Absolute clustermug at RDU earlier this week, this is for boarding at the far end of the concourse and I wasn't last in line. This is just the Group 1 and 2 line. They really need to do something to fix this issue, especially at outstations.

Better than the mob of people that happens with AA. A line is so much better than an unorganized crowd.
TSparky and laxmillenial like this.
Old May 9, 2018, 9:07 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
Better than the mob of people that happens with AA. A line is so much better than an unorganized crowd.
Totally agree!
Old May 14, 2018, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I go to experience this for the first time at LAX. I flew Delta this year for the first time in awhile and it was similar. Having less group lines reduces the need for line space. In many gates, there is just not enough room for all those queues. I found it worked okay. It is more like the gate lice system of yesteryear. I think with Groups 3-5 nonexistent, people don't line up as early. Maybe they wanted less crowds spilling into walkways and such too early.
Old May 14, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CApreppie
I go to experience this for the first time at LAX. I flew Delta this year for the first time in awhile and it was similar. Having less group lines reduces the need for line space. In many gates, there is just not enough room for all those queues. I found it worked okay. It is more like the gate lice system of yesteryear. I think with Groups 3-5 nonexistent, people don't line up as early. Maybe they wanted less crowds spilling into walkways and such too early.
I have maintained for years here that the problem is actually the very existence of the "lines". When they are there they encourage people to line up. The PMUA Red Carpet approach actually worked well precisely because there was no place for folks to line up other than the initial high priority group (at that time F,1K) and the "next up" group (PE at the time). This meant that other folks were not encouraged to be lining up. Once you create additional lineup points then, not surprisingly, folks use them and the result is today's mob-scene. All you really need is an "in-use" line and a "bypass" line with the latter being for folks that arrive after their group has already boarded. With 2 lines and even reasonable enforcement of folks using the "in-use" line too early you get the right psychology which is that there is no purpose in trying to get in some line before your group has one available. With today's system that means that you'd have a line for group 1 form in the "bypass": line and a second line form in the "in-use" line for group 2 folks before things start. Others simply wouldn't have a line to use. Of course, redefining the groups a bit to trim the size of gp1 and gp2 would further clean things up but the net would be a much simpler and less chaotic process.
Old May 22, 2018, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Anyone with experience boarding in group 1 (or 2) when your UA status is not on the BP*?

* crediting elsewhere
Old May 22, 2018, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17
Anyone with experience boarding in group 1 (or 2) when your UA status is not on the BP*?

* crediting elsewhere
Will you have your UA card with you?

Typically the machine will beep when a pass in a not-yet-called boarding group is scanned, which is a prompt to the GA to find out why that passenger is boarding then.
Old May 22, 2018, 8:54 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
Will you have your UA card with you?
UA card? What's that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.