Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I just got an email about the new boarding process for my LAX-SIN flight tomorrow night. Will be interested to see how it works
Old Feb 21, 2018, 9:56 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sexykitten7
What do you mean they skipped BG1? Was there an outcry from BG1/Plats? Did they have to cut in front of BG2s? Did the GA correct themselves?

The fact it happened twice at different stations makes me think they programmed the computer wrong. Either that or Plats got lumped into another group (1K or BG2)
I suspect the GAs were a bit confused by the new procedure as well and thought they'd already covered BG 1 but I was there waiting for First or Group 1 to get called and they just jumped right to Group 2. It was no big deal, the lead person in Group 2 saw the handful of us still in Group 1 line and motioned for us to go forward but I'm just not seeing why United thinks this is a better procedure (other than maybe clearing out some of the congestion in the lines as people hope to get a leg up for their own group).
Old Feb 27, 2018, 11:14 am

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K, 2MM, LT RCC
{I}s it Uniformed Military Personnel or Military Personnel. Seems anybody could take advantage of the latter.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 27, 2018 at 3:52 pm Reason: Moved to exisiting thread and delted unneeded comment
Old Feb 27, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by mkasperzak
{I}s it Uniformed Military Personnel or Military Personnel. Seems anybody could take advantage of the latter.
No. Some military members aren't supposed to be in Uniform at the airport. Why penalize them? If you walk-up without uniform and flash your ID, they'll let you board.

Let's not punish our military for having to follow their orders and not be in uniform. They've certaintly done enough for us. I don't care if they're in uniform, not in uniform, PJs, or even a hawaiian shirt. They're still military.

#stillcalm
AugustusM likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 27, 2018 at 3:52 pm Reason: quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old Feb 27, 2018, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
No. Some military members aren't supposed to be in Uniform at the airport. Why penalize them? If you walk-up without uniform and flash your ID, they'll let you board.

Let's not punish our military for having to follow their orders and not be in uniform. They've certaintly done enough for us. I don't care if they're in uniform, not in uniform, PJs, or even a hawaiian shirt. They're still military.

#stillcalm
I don't think what was being asked was more then "what's the rule". I know for sure I've heard the announcement as "uniformed military".
Old Feb 27, 2018, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by BThumme
I don't think what was being asked was more then "what's the rule". I know for sure I've heard the announcement as "uniformed military".
Oh yeah, the announcement is "uniformed military".
Old Feb 27, 2018, 4:17 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
I'm flying out of LAX tomorrow to EWR and received the email about the new trial boarding process. The email indicates fewer people in boarding groups as well as a window-middle-aisle boarding sequence.

When I checked in I was in economy and as a Platinum my boarding pass indicated Group 1. I was waitlisted for an upgrade and with 10 open seats (that never happens!) they upgraded the 3 people on the waitlist shortly after checking in. My boarding pass still shows Group 1 but with a Business seat.

So I have no idea whether they will pre-board Business and 1K passengers before Platinums in Group 1 or not. Will be interesting to see. I hope they don't because as a Platinum I obviously am not a fan of that change (though I realize that would have me boarding ahead of 1Ks tomorrow).
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by nycityny
So I have no idea whether they will pre-board Business and 1K passengers before Platinums in Group 1 or not. Will be interesting to see. I hope they don't because as a Platinum I obviously am not a fan of that change (though I realize that would have me boarding ahead of 1Ks tomorrow).
Please make sure to report back what happens. I’ve gone through the new boarding process at LAX twice now. I don’t recall anything jumping out as different than before.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 3:04 pm

I just watched 2 flights board at LAX while awaiting my delayed flight. One was to Newark and the other Houston. Both boarded in the “normal” order using only 2 boarding lanes. Preboards were disabled, military, GS and children 2 and under, the last 2 reversed from the norm. Groups 2-5 boarded in the lane on the right. Group 1 was on the left. Seating is minimal so the idea of uncalled groups sitting while waiting is laughable.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 4:34 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
Correct me if I'm wrong, but before the introduction of BE, wasn't it Group 3: window, Group 4: middle, Group 5: aisle? So how is window-middle-aisle boarding new?
Old Feb 28, 2018, 5:31 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
They probably put middles and aisles together in 4, since the majority of middles (the schmucks who bought BE) will be boarding in Group 5.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
I just watched 2 flights board at LAX while awaiting my delayed flight. One was to Newark and the other Houston. Both boarded in the “normal” order using only 2 boarding lanes. Preboards were disabled, military, GS and children 2 and under, the last 2 reversed from the norm. Groups 2-5 boarded in the lane on the right. Group 1 was on the left.
This is what I experienced week before last LAX-EWR. I was in BG1 as a business class pax. I don't know if lane 1 is left open after BG1, but if so we are pretty much back to the system before the merger, some tweaks accepted.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by anc-ord772

This is what I experienced week before last LAX-EWR. I was in BG1 as a business class pax. I don't know if lane 1 is left open after BG1, but if so we are pretty much back to the system before the merger, some tweaks accepted.
Lane 1 is left open after BG1 has boarded. And is there for your convenience should you arrive late from a connection.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I just watched 2 flights board at LAX while awaiting my delayed flight. One was to Newark and the other Houston. Both boarded in the “normal” order using only 2 boarding lanes. Preboards were disabled, military, GS and children 2 and under, the last 2 reversed from the norm. Groups 2-5 boarded in the lane on the right. Group 1 was on the left. Seating is minimal so the idea of uncalled groups sitting while waiting is laughable.
What did your flight do? The same?
Old Feb 28, 2018, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by fumje
What did your flight do? The same?
Yes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.