Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2021, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Yesterday MCO-IAH on a 767. There was a third boarding lane (separate rope) next to BG1 and BG2 which the pre-boarders used. I counted 7-8 1Ks and was pleasantly surprised with how easy it worked. This morning IAH-MCO (also a 767) we left out of D9 which has no UA branding etc. so technically no 'line' to stand in. I missed the 1K announcement but when they called group 1, it was a typical mess but not too bad.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 5:26 am

Programs: UA 1K, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, Delta Silver, Hilton Gold

GRU-EWR yesterday. Staff was checking for GS/1K before allowing people into this pre-boarding line.
Very organized - there were lines for groups 1 to 4 as well.
Old Nov 16, 2021, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Turkish Airlines gets it.

Old Nov 17, 2021, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Just want to rant a bit… does anyone else hate how early United begins the boarding process nowadays? I’ve been flying frequently lately and they start boarding 50-60 min before scheduled departure time (737, 757 on domestic hub to hub, 2-3 hour flights).

If you want any shot at overhead space you need to be one of the first ones on the plane. Every single flight I’m sitting on the plane for 25 min, boarding is basically complete, and a full plane sits there for 25+ min at the gate before pulling away.

It is pretty hard to show up to the airport 60 min before flight time like before because you basically lose a chance at overhead space.

Anyone else have a similar experience?
Old Nov 17, 2021, 4:53 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Originally Posted by wenstinator
Just want to rant a bit… does anyone else hate how early United begins the boarding process nowadays? I’ve been flying frequently lately and they start boarding 50-60 min before scheduled departure time (737, 757 on domestic hub to hub, 2-3 hour flights).
I don't think anything has changed. 737/Airbus at T-40, RJs at T-25, widebodies including 757s at T-50. Boarding times seem to be hard-coded and don't seem to account actual occupancy.

Boarding times are probably very outdated. I don't see why 752s need 10 more minutes than 739s. And UA's Basic Econ carryon policy (and the proliferation of markets/seats sold) makes boarding faster than before.
Old Nov 17, 2021, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
In general, on flights I've recently been taking, folks know the line up drill and get on-board and in seats fairly quick now so that boarding is usually complete at 20-25 minutes prior to departure. My flights have been during weekdays so I have little to compare to for equivalent weekend flights.

Flights where its taking close to the full boarding period are more likely to be leisure dominant routes such as LAX-LAS or LAS-XXX.

At least that's my take.

David
Old Nov 18, 2021, 10:46 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Boarding times seem to be hard-coded and don't seem to account actual occupancy.
Yes, boarding times (at least those printed on the BPs) are determined solely by the aircraft type, period. I thought part of it was contractual but a quick scan of the FA contract didn't turn it up and I can't be bothered to dig deep right now. I know a while back (5+ years?) the AFA was getting grumpy about GAs asking FAs if they could board early (and asked members to report occurrences) but I'm not sure if that's still a thing.

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Boarding times are probably very outdated. I don't see why 752s need 10 more minutes than 739s. And UA's Basic Econ carryon policy (and the proliferation of markets/seats sold) makes boarding faster than before.
I can't say I've seen a particularly notable decrease in boarding times in the markets I fly (primarily domestic) post-BE. I may be an odd duck, but particularly for outstation flights into the hub or P2P flying I'd just as soon board as early as possible with the hope that we get under way as early as possible. If "everyone" is at the gate and ready to go why not just load us up and ship us out? I still have that optimism at hub-out flights but the chances of holding for a baggage/connecting passengers/flow typically conspire against making an early out realistic.

On the flip side though I can see how early boarding times can add stress -- my Tuesday RIC-ORD flight was delayed at RIC (see my "outstation staffing" post) and then after landing had a taxi from our runway to F25 that included a stop somewhere near Indianapolis [not sure what our crew did to tick off ATC... ] that meant I got the "we're now boarding your flight at C23" text before the airplane door was open. Ran F-to-B-to-C (why did they get rid of the shuttle again?) and got to the gate just as group 5 was being called. Then of course we sat because someone was riding an electric cart "from somewhere on F" and we took a delay to accommodate them...had I known I would have jumped on to the bumper of the cart or at least slowed myself down...

Last edited by lincolnjkc; Nov 18, 2021 at 11:07 am
Old Nov 24, 2021, 1:54 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
I do find it very frustrating that paying first/business class passengers board after or during large swaths of their top tier passengers. It pretty much guarantees a fight for overhead space in first class which does not feel great when paying a ticket premium for the privilege.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dll
I do find it very frustrating that paying first/business class passengers board after or during large swaths of their top tier passengers. It pretty much guarantees a fight for overhead space in first class which does not feel great when paying a ticket premium for the privilege.
What about the top tier passenger who paid a ticket premium?
​​​​​​
Old Nov 24, 2021, 2:10 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by fumje
What about the top tier passenger who paid a ticket premium?
​​​​​​
Indeed. If they're seated in F/J, they'd have no change in boarding group. I do like how DL does it that way - Diamond Medallion (their top tier) and First/Business board at the same time. And I only find this a real issue on narrowbody flights on UA, especially the A319/320 routes with small 3-row cabins and already limited overhead space. Widebody flights, and newer 737s with larger bins, are less problematic in my experience with UA.
Old Nov 24, 2021, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dll
Indeed. If they're seated in F/J, they'd have no change in boarding group. I do like how DL does it that way - Diamond Medallion (their top tier) and First/Business board at the same time. And I only find this a real issue on narrowbody flights on UA, especially the A319/320 routes with small 3-row cabins and already limited overhead space. Widebody flights, and newer 737s with larger bins, are less problematic in my experience with UA.
I believe all the competition for F bin space comes from F bin passengers (and, unfortunately, flight attendants ). Perhaps you would like to have the flight attendants board after you!
Old Nov 25, 2021, 10:22 am

So on the 11/23 flights:
ALB - ORD: They followed the "proper" procedure with good pauses in between the various pre-boarding folks, including 1K
ORD - DEN: Same as above
DEN - GJT: Same as above
Old Nov 1, 2023, 9:52 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This is archive thread, the active thread is
UA's Boarding Process with WILMA now - Inconsistent process / PreBoarding issues

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 8, 2024 at 2:13 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.