IAH, Gate E4 Boarding Process

Old Jun 8, 2010, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
IAH, Gate E4 Boarding Process

Anyone used the new gate set up at E4? Looks a lot like the self boarding gates that LH has in FRA.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 12:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by anaaflyer
Anyone used the new gate set up at E4? Looks a lot like the self boarding gates that LH has in FRA.
I'm seriously not being mean or sarcastic, but what exactly is a 'self boarding' gate? I thought all gates are 'self boarding', as I have yet to be carried down the jetway and onto the plane by any airline staff, although that option would be a nice feature to add to the new uber-Platinum tier
Old Jun 8, 2010, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
I'm seriously not being mean or sarcastic, but what exactly is a 'self boarding' gate?
One with a turnstile-like control that opens when you swipe your own BP. Basically you scan, it verifies and then opens the gate to let you on the plane. A couple of those plus a regular gate to let a GA handle folks who need help is what LH has in FRA at some gates. My last flight home from FRA no one pulled my BP; I scanned it myself and walked on to the plane.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 1:20 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by sbm12
One with a turnstile-like control that opens when you swipe your own BP. Basically you scan, it verifies and then opens the gate to let you on the plane. A couple of those plus a regular gate to let a GA handle folks who need help is what LH has in FRA at some gates. My last flight home from FRA no one pulled my BP; I scanned it myself and walked on to the plane.
How would they (at IAH) handle things like visitor visa departure records? You could turn in your I94, swipe your BP, and walk out the front door of the airport without immigration having a clue you're still here.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
How would they (at IAH) handle things like visitor visa departure records? You could turn in your I94, swipe your BP, and walk out the front door of the airport without immigration having a clue you're still here.
Well they don't necessarily have to use it for international departures. In Germany you clear into the transit by getting stamped out by immigration or you're flying Schengen so that isn't an issue. Plus there is the part where you'd be caught as not on the plane during the final count so the fact that the airline is holding the form and knows that you didn't actually leave would likely be an issue. Given what I experienced with CBP last Thursday in SFO heading to SYD I doubt that this sort of thing will work on international departures in the near term but CO does operate quite a few domestic flights from IAH too so I'm guessing they'll have ample opportunities to try it out.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 2:37 pm
Moderator: Avis and Rental Cars

We had these in FRA on LH going to FCO. They worked very well! For me, as long as the computers enforce the priority boarding, I'm all for it! However, the computers cannot enforce the carry-on requirements, so I think that needs to be addressed somewhere.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 2:47 pm

Does anyone have a picture of these?
Old Jun 8, 2010, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by polarissilver
The ones in FRA look like this:

Old Jun 8, 2010, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by polarissilver
Originally Posted by Hartmann
The ones in FRA look like this:
Cool! ^
Old Jun 8, 2010, 3:23 pm

Programs: AS MVP 75K, DL Diamond, LH SEN, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador
I used something similar flying SK out of OSL (it scanned fingerprints too). I haven't seen the machines in IAH yet, but I have no problem with them as long as they work.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 3:50 pm

Programs: Flying Nut
This is an interesting development. I know CO tried something similiar in another part of the system but it didn't work. I would think that it would be a good process to a degree. I fear that they would go to less than 2 agents for any large flight as when there are issues, one agent can not handle the concerns of such a flight.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 4:09 pm
Company Representative, United Airlines

Originally Posted by anaaflyer
That's correct anaaflyer. Last week we installed a prototype of a self-boarding gate in Houston (IAH) Terminal E, gate E4. This particular configuration has two self-service boarding lanes in addition to a traditional agent-assisted boarding lane. These lanes allow customers to scan their own boarding passes – including mobile boarding passes. Digital signage at this gate is also being tested to help familiarize customers with the process.

We look forward to testing this set-up over the summer, and in a number of different configurations. Although I don't have any photos to share, I'm sure it won't be long before someone posts some!
Old Jun 8, 2010, 7:35 pm

The gates being used are the next generation of the ones in the photo above. They look a little bit like this, according to a little birdie I know:

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewan...united-states/

No word on whether the gates will enforce boarding zones/rows/elite levels/military IDs/handicap status.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 8:44 pm

Programs: Flying Nut
Originally Posted by sbm12
The gates being used are the next generation of the ones in the photo above. They look a little bit like this, according to a little birdie I know:

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/thewan...united-states/

No word on whether the gates will enforce boarding zones/rows/elite levels/military IDs/handicap status.
I think that the most interesting thing about this is the fact that there are standard ropes to the left of the check in gates that could easily be circumvented unlike the LH ones that have a hard wall attached to the outside gate. I assume that will have to change in the future.
Old Jun 8, 2010, 9:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA Silver; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Scott6067
I think that the most interesting thing about this is the fact that there are standard ropes to the left of the check in gates that could easily be circumvented unlike the LH ones that have a hard wall attached to the outside gate. I assume that will have to change in the future.
Not really - there will still be an agent there, it's not like they board the flight using only these gates with no agent present. I don't see this being any more of an issue than at a "regular" gate.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.