Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2018, 4:06 pm
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
United's New Boarding Process (with Wiki) [starting 18 Sep 2018]

Sorry if this post is a duplicate.

Anyone else experience the new boarding sequence? 1k’s going ahead of group 1, along with GS? I was at SNA and they said it’s supposed to be implemented system-wide in the next few days but that they were implementing now. Made me happy to go in front of the 20-25 group 1’s

I imagine it might piss others off.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 4:20 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
It's about time.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
Originally Posted by wunderpit
Sorry if this post is a duplicate.

Anyone else experience the new boarding sequence? 1k’s going ahead of group 1, along with GS? I was at SNA and they said it’s supposed to be implemented system-wide in the next few days but that they were implementing now. Made me happy to go in front of the 20-25 group 1’s

I imagine it might piss others off.
Yes, one out of my 4 recent UA flights called 1K’s before Group 1 (pretty sure it was at Newark). The other 3 did not. So not sure it is an official change unless it is being rolled out slowly.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 4:40 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
I believe they're testing a new boarding procedure, one where you don't have to line up and wait like Southwest. They've been testing it at select gates at select airports from what I've heard. The Point's Guy covers it more in depth in the link below

https://thepointsguy.com/2018/02/uni...rd-its-planes/
Old Sep 16, 2018, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by freeagent
I believe they're testing a new boarding procedure, one where you don't have to line up and wait like Southwest. They've been testing it at select gates at select airports from what I've heard. The Point's Guy covers it more in depth in the link below

https://thepointsguy.com/2018/02/uni...rd-its-planes/
The new boarding with new signs (groups 1 and 2, with groups 3-5 waiting to be called) are implemented everywhere now, of course, with some exceptions. Testing phase is over.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 4:52 pm

Hmm. When boarding ORD-BUF on Wednesday 9/12, 1Ks were indeed called before BG1. That’s how pmUA used to do it before the dreadful CO merger. Very welcome trend if it endures!
Old Sep 16, 2018, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B
Hmm. When boarding ORD-BUF on Wednesday 9/12, 1Ks were indeed called before BG1. That’s how pmUA used to do it before the dreadful CO merger. Very welcome trend if it endures!
pmUA: 1Ks AND international business/domestic first class boarded simultaneously. GF and GS boarded first.

Take that away from the current group 1 and you get.... plats.

Which at that point you might as well just allow the rest of the *Gs to board with the plats.

Boy, that would start to look familiar.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 5:27 pm

just go back to the PMUA way. i don't understand why the need to test so many things when it worked well for so long. i also liked how on the passthrough lane, they always roped it off, and hten you'd walk up and they'd open it for you. it felt less like you had to barge your way in.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The problem is until this is announced and implemented consistently, 1Ks still have to line up in Group 1 and making things more chaotic during boarding.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 5:53 pm
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
I was half listening when the gate agent mentioned it. But September 18 stuck in my head as the official rollout. We shall see soon!

I asked her to confirm and with a smile she said “I guess if 1k’s complain enough they’ll do something about it”. It was a little snide but i don’t care!
Old Sep 16, 2018, 6:02 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS; Marriott Titanium / LT Plat
I was at TPA (Tampa) last Tuesday, the 11th, on UA513 to DEN and thought I was imagining things when hearing that for a flight being boarded for EWR. They didn’t do it for my flight, nor did it happen on the return in DEN on Thursday morning. I am on TPA to EWR on the 18th and will see what happens!
Old Sep 16, 2018, 6:12 pm

A change I like and about time as well.
Old Sep 16, 2018, 6:35 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Kmxu

The new boarding with new signs (groups 1 and 2, with groups 3-5 waiting to be called) are implemented everywhere now, of course, with some exceptions. Testing phase is over.
That new system is pretty much how AA runs it, and it doesn't exactly work as advertised. No matter what the sign says, people do not sit down. Instead, they just crowd around the gate area waiting to see their number appear on the board so they can jump in the line to hope and get some overhead bin space. The result for the priority and CC boarders is akin to those "tunnels" that NFL cheerleaders create for the players to run through.

At least with the zone pillars, the gate lice that want to get in line early are not in anybody's way. I'm Pro-Pillar.

But on topic, that's a nice change for you 1Ks
Old Sep 16, 2018, 6:37 pm

Programs: None anymore
Looking forward to trying this out!
Old Sep 16, 2018, 6:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
They should also include F/C before group 1!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.