Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by flyingvee
More and more I'm hearing the sharper GAs call for "hundred thousand mile flyers" rather than "1K customers," probably for this reason.
Both that and in the pre-pre-boarding announcement adding a "...followed by our 1K customers, which is not the same a Group 1..." or similar certainly seem to help things.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
I think that the first person in the Group 1 line sets the tone for the stampede or not. This morning out of LAX, the GA called 1K's with no special explanation. The first person in the Group 1 line seemed to know the drill, and did not budge.
Old May 16, 2019, 3:42 pm

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis Preferred Plus
Has anyone else seen first class called to board ahead of group 1 recently? The last few weeks I've been on a CRJ700 out of a smaller airport, and they included the premium cabin at the end of their pre-boarding list.
Old May 24, 2019, 10:16 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, HH Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marrriott Silver, SPG, National Exec Elite
Why is paid First Class effectively Zone 5 on United? I'm Exec Platinum on AA, equivalent to 1K on United. Years ago I was 1K on United until they went into bankruptcy and as service went to hell I switched to American. Flash forward, company policy wants us to fly United, Delta, or Southwest, and with no status flying United, I book the coach fare, and then upgrade on my own dime to a paid First Class fare.

My gripe is the boarding order. Nothing against 1K's, but why should a paid First Class fare have lower priority than a 1K, who may or may not be in First Class, and might have a lower fare basis than the paid First Class passenger? I don't have a problem with the CK pre-boarding, but I do with the 1K's (as I'm the equivalent on AA), if you're already in First, no need for a separate boarding order, and if you are a 1K and not in First, then wait and board in the zone immediately after First Class, like AA does.

Living in Orlando, I'm especially irritate about boarding families and kids first - in MCO it's all families and kids! My gripe - First Class zone 1 means nothing! It's actually zone 5 after you board the pre-boards, military, CK, 1K, families etc. United tries to 'simplify' the boarding with fewer zones, but this is outright boarding fraud, the way they mislead people in thinking zone 1 is first boarding. I've seen First Class bins already filled up by families, 1ks etc, that most likely don't have a paid First Class ticket, yet they boarded before the paid First Class revenue passengers. I say. Board the kids and families after First, and the non-upgraded 1ks after First Class is more reasonable and fair.
Old May 24, 2019, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Where does United promise Boarding Group 1 boards first? Where’s the fraud? Your assumption (or desire) doesn’t constitute fraud.

UA has decided a 1K is an important customer who generates a reliable source of continuing revenue (which may last for years). A one-off First buyer still gets to board before most of the passengers on the plane.

There are lengthy threads debating pluses and minuses of how UA boards. Same old arguments either way. Obviously, UA wants to do it this way.

A lot of airlines board families with children under age 2 early. You make it sound like UA is boarding children (any age) and family first.

I think a 1K who has spent $40K with UA in last 12 should be treated better than some one who buys one $200 first ticket from SFO to LAS (or whatever).

if you’re a big cheese at AA, I guess it won’t take too much time to replicate your “importance” at UA. You might try a 1K challenge.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; May 24, 2019 at 10:53 pm
Old May 24, 2019, 11:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Where does United promise Boarding Group 1 boards first? Where’s the fraud? Your assumption (or desire) doesn’t constitute fraud.

UA has decided a 1K is an important customer who generates a reliable source of continuing revenue (which may last for years). A one-off First buyer still gets to board before most of the passengers on the plane.
You're missing the key point. If UA FA's actually protected the bins in First from early boarding poachers, I'd agree with you. But they don't. Until they do, they are screwing over paid first passengers. Not a long term strategy for winning new customers over, BTW.
Old May 24, 2019, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by halls120
You're missing the key point. If UA FA's actually protected the bins in First from early boarding poachers, I'd agree with you. But they don't. Until they do, they are screwing over paid first passengers. Not a long term strategy for winning new customers over, BTW.
I don’t pre-board unless I’m in a window seat and have never had a bag storage problem. I know it exists, though.

That being said, we get into the same old argument of giving existing, reliable customers a little extra or hoping a few infrequent flyers become a reliable customer. I fly monthly to/from Hawaii the F cabin is full of people who are hardly going to be continuing revenue sources to UA even if carry them on board in a divan.

I’m pretty sure UA has put some thought into the arguments about GS/1Ks pre-boarding vs non-upper-status F. I’m no marketing expert, but I’ve heard it’s much more advantageous to keep a good existing customer than to try to replace him/her.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; May 24, 2019 at 11:56 pm
Old May 25, 2019, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

I’m pretty sure UA has put some thought into the arguments about GS/1Ks pre-boarding vs non-upper-status F. I’m no marketing expert, but I’ve heard it’s much more advantageous to keep a good existing customer than to try to replace him/her.
I don’t disagree with the above, and I appreciated the UA policy when I was a 1K. But I am no longer 1K, and over the past year I have flown 5 TATL RT in business - one on UA, 1 on BA, 1 on KLM, one on DL, and one on LH. Before 2017, they would all have been on UA. Now that I’m a free agent, I go with the best value proposition, and most of the time it isn’t UA.

Old May 25, 2019, 9:48 am

Why would pre-boarding Y pax fill up the bins in F when the bins in Y are still totally open at that point? Makes no sense. I continue to think this is a total red herring.
Old May 25, 2019, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by threeoh
Why would pre-boarding Y pax fill up the bins in F when the bins in Y are still totally open at that point? Makes no sense. I continue to think this is a total red herring.
It isn’t a red herring. It’s real. I’ve sat in F on countless 319/320/737 watching Y passengers poach F bin space, especially on a full flight where GAs keep making full flight announcements.
Old May 25, 2019, 10:08 am

It isn’t a red herring. It’s real. I’ve sat in F on countless 319/320/737 watching Y passengers poach F bin space, especially on a full flight where GAs keep making full flight announcements.
How many Y pax pre-boarded and how many of them put bags in F?
Old May 25, 2019, 10:10 am

Programs: United Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Club, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz President, Avis President

I don’t disagree with the above, and I appreciated the UA policy when I was a 1K. But I am no longer 1K, and over the past year I have flown 5 TATL RT in business - one on UA, 1 on BA, 1 on KLM, one on DL, and one on LH. Before 2017, they would all have been on UA. Now that I’m a free agent, I go with the best value proposition, and most of the time it isn’t UA.

I actually think, this has more to do with United selling credit cards with boarding group 2. To the point where people keep saying that frequent travelers have more value, somehow Delta manages to get premium cabins and diamonds on board at the start of boarding. It's posbile that United hasn't done enough to trim the high level elites or Delta is much better at monetizing premium cabins. If United, "follows," Delta as they usually do, I expect that I will be happy as the occasional purchaser of first. Many may be unhappy, but then again, by then, the PQD requirements might have trimmed enough elites out that it isn't a big problem and elites might be something worthwhile where half the plane isn't in group 1.
Old May 25, 2019, 10:36 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by threeoh
How many Y pax pre-boarded and how many of them put bags in F?
Highly route dependent but some [lazy] [rude] Y pax will throw their bag in the first bin they find to minimize the amount of schlepping of their own bag they have to do without considering the impact on other passengers.

UA, unlike some other airlines has no formal "policing" of F bin space and individual FAs are highly variable (from not paying any attention at all to polite prodding, to outright evicting "misplaced" bags from the bins)

As someone who only uses bins when I'm in a bulkhead (and then only because I have to) this is my #1 stressor in flying when I get stuck in a bulkhead...and would be nice if UA formalized some level of bin protection for those seats if nothing else.
Old May 25, 2019, 12:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Highly route dependent but some [lazy] [rude] Y pax will throw their bag in the first bin they find to minimize the amount of schlepping of their own bag they have to do without considering the impact on other passengers.
As someone who only uses bins when I'm in a bulkhead (and then only because I have to) this is my #1 stressor in flying when I get stuck in a bulkhead...and would be nice if UA formalized some level of bin protection for those seats if nothing else.
I think the poster's comment is that pre-boarding 1Ks are probably not the major reason for OHB poaching and a reason F should board before 1Ks. Yes, some Y passengers poach the F OHBs but IME this seems more of a problem with later boarding groups as pre-boarding 1Ks have plenty of OHB space.
Old May 25, 2019, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MCOGUY
Why is paid First Class effectively Zone 5 on United? I'm Exec Platinum on AA, equivalent to 1K on United. Years ago I was 1K on United until they went into bankruptcy and as service went to hell I switched to American. Flash forward, company policy wants us to fly United, Delta, or Southwest, and with no status flying United, I book the coach fare, and then upgrade on my own dime to a paid First Class fare.

My gripe is the boarding order. Nothing against 1K's, but why should a paid First Class fare have lower priority than a 1K, who may or may not be in First Class, and might have a lower fare basis than the paid First Class passenger? I don't have a problem with the CK pre-boarding, but I do with the 1K's (as I'm the equivalent on AA), if you're already in First, no need for a separate boarding order, and if you are a 1K and not in First, then wait and board in the zone immediately after First Class, like AA does.

Living in Orlando, I'm especially irritate about boarding families and kids first - in MCO it's all families and kids! My gripe - First Class zone 1 means nothing! It's actually zone 5 after you board the pre-boards, military, CK, 1K, families etc. United tries to 'simplify' the boarding with fewer zones, but this is outright boarding fraud, the way they mislead people in thinking zone 1 is first boarding. I've seen First Class bins already filled up by families, 1ks etc, that most likely don't have a paid First Class ticket, yet they boarded before the paid First Class revenue passengers. I say. Board the kids and families after First, and the non-upgraded 1ks after First Class is more reasonable and fair.
In my experience there are very few pre-board passengers who use bin space away from their seats. I can't think of ever having seen it.

Later in the boarding process it can become more chaotic, as people get held up in the train, look down the aisle, and decide to grab the nearest available space.

All of which leads me to the conclusion that preboarding 1K passengers and even families has no effect on bin poaching.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.