Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2019, 4:07 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
Originally Posted by fumje
In my experience there are very few pre-board passengers who use bin space away from their seats. I can't think of ever having seen it.
I confess that i’ve done this several/many times...

But only on E175s where my main carry on was a 33L backpack that would fit into the port side narrow bins in First Class. And I’m usually sitting in row 7 so somewhat close by.

Just trying to conserve bin usage. Those narrow bins are never full, even when the rest of the bins are. 😊
Old May 25, 2019, 10:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Agree that the way FAs operate is highly variable, from those that will not even touch a bag to those that will help put it in the bin or move them around to make more space. Last flight, a very nice FA had closed the first set of bins in F and when bulkhead passengers arrived he opened them specifically for them.
Old May 25, 2019, 10:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by threeoh
How many Y pax pre-boarded and how many of them put bags in F?
I don’t stand in line counting the pre-boards. All I know is that I’ve been among the first to sit in F and I’ve noticed non-crew bags in the overhead already, and then while sitting there I watch Y passengers drop off their bags on their way back to their seats.
Old May 26, 2019, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by halls120

I don’t stand in line counting the pre-boards. All I know is that I’ve been among the first to sit in F and I’ve noticed non-crew bags in the overhead already, and then while sitting there I watch Y passengers drop off their bags on their way back to their seats.
Same here. It's becoming a real problem and UA needs to designate those bins as "First Class Only."
Old May 26, 2019, 8:41 am

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by JetAway
Same here. It's becoming a real problem and UA needs to designate those bins as "First Class Only."
Boarding as GS, I've gotten on to find the entire set of FC bins full, between crew bags and bags from other early boarders.
Old May 26, 2019, 10:47 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by porciuscato
Boarding as GS, I've gotten on to find the entire set of FC bins full, between crew bags and bags from other early boarders.
Mainline or UX?

The only earlier boarders (after the crew) would be those with disabilities / needing extra time and active military, so this does sound like something pretty odd was going on.

Was this ever on mainline vs a small UX where crewbags can be a major problem?
Old May 26, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold

Then why is this is an issue - presumably, if you are already in your F seat - you've got your carry-on in the bin already if you are watching all the Y passengers like a hawk taking up the precious bin space in F.

Personally, I'm coming up on 4MM and I've never observed that behavior.
Old May 26, 2019, 12:07 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Mainline or UX?
The only earlier boarders (after the crew) would be those with disabilities / needing extra time and active military, so this does sound like something pretty odd was going on....
I've experienced it on both, though it has only been on mainline Airbus 319/320 (not a problem on 737s usually). Where I fly, the group of people "needing extra time to board" defines itself quite expansively. Plus, people with "small" children (also defined expansively) are frequently called before GS. So it is not unusual for me to see a dozen people board before the first GS. Most of these people have seats in the back.

I suspect the same sense of entitlement that motivates an able-bodied person to board with the disabled might also spur them to stick their bags above seats that they have not paid for.
Old May 26, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...I suspect the same sense of entitlement that motivates an able-bodied person to board with the disabled might also spur them to stick their bags above seats that they have not paid for.
I must be the luckiest guy travelling. On the occasions I do decide to board with 1Ks, there have been zero instances of F bins being full, even with GS, families, "people needing extra time", military. Only on rare occasions (1 in 20 or more flights?) do I notice a F passenger who has to stow a bag farther back. Usually, just rearrangement of items provides space for even the last bag.
Old May 26, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I've experienced it on both, though it has only been on mainline Airbus 319/320 (not a problem on 737s usually). Where I fly, the group of people "needing extra time to board" defines itself quite expansively. Plus, people with "small" children (also defined expansively) are frequently called before GS. So it is not unusual for me to see a dozen people board before the first GS. Most of these people have seats in the back. ....
interesting -- I fly mainline or larger UX and I can not remember a case of no F OHB space as BG1 (& up-faring) -- occasionally as Row 1, I have to stow one row back but that has been most due the general less OHB for Row 1.

I know the issue does happen, have seen late arriving F passenger have issues (but FA finds a solution - turning bags the right way is the most common ) and on the rare (10% or less?) occasion an OHB bin poacher but some are giving the impression they have this more frequently ( 1/3? , 1/2? of the times) -- which does not fit my experience -- odd disapparity in the frequency. Would be interested in understanding the frequency with which people are have problems.
Old May 26, 2019, 12:48 pm

I suspect the same sense of entitlement that motivates an able-bodied person to board with the disabled might also spur them to stick their bags above seats that they have not paid for.
Even if we accept this happens a lot (which I don't), moving 1Ks back out of pre-board / having them board after F won't help with that.

Pre-boarding for those needing extra time is a legal requirement and not likely to change soon, and is uniform across airlines.

Again, the idea that all these pre-boarding 1Ks in Y are shoving their bags in F and then walking back to an economy cabin that has wide open bins is I'm sure something that happens like 1 out of every 10,000 flights but not something that is really a widespread problem. The problem is (a) aircraft like A319 that don't have enough bin space in F for all the bags, (b) crew bags (discussed ad nauseum already), and (c) Y pax who board later (like Group 3/4) who see full bins in the back and open bins up front and don't want to risk seeing if there is something free near their seat in row 35 with the possibility of having to swim upstream to gate check.
Old May 26, 2019, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I must be the luckiest guy travelling. On the occasions I do decide to board with 1Ks, there have been zero instances of F bins being full, even with GS, families, "people needing extra time", military. Only on rare occasions (1 in 20 or more flights?) do I notice a F passenger who has to stow a bag farther back. Usually, just rearrangement of items provides space for even the last bag.
you are indeed lucky. As someone else already noted, the problem is worst on the 319/320.

Sure seems like it would be easier for FAs to either guard the bins or keep them closed during preboards than to have to do it at the end of boarding.
Old May 26, 2019, 3:34 pm

you are indeed lucky. As someone else already noted, the problem is worst on the 319/320. ...
Did not the A3xx's get larger OHBs 3-4 years ago to address the insufficent space/
Old May 26, 2019, 4:06 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
the problem is worst on the 319/320.
It's worst on the 319, with only 2 rows of F. I've had to stow carry-on over row 7 a couple of times.

This situation should improve a bit when they retrofit larger F cabins.
Old May 26, 2019, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...you are indeed lucky. As someone else already noted, the problem is worst on the 319/320...
Probably why I rarely see a F bin problem - I'm rarely on those a/c.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.