Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2019, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by eng3
This was supposed to be marketed as an increase of 1K perks? I guess I didn't notice. Isn't the boarding order still the same?

EDIT: Oh wait, 1K before plat vs grouped today. nevermind
Well, they used to be interspersed among Plats and First/business not other-wise qualifying as pre-boarders. Now they’re ahead of Plats and Fitst/Business not other-wise qualifying as pre-boarders.

I agree - pre-boarding was a “free” way for UA to give a bennie to 1Ks who have seen upgrade percentages go way down. GS are still insulated via PN bucket.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 10:30 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Recent flights had "pre-boarding" for 1K's out of SNA, DEN &SFO. Not so at PHL, where the board clearly showed 1K's at the end of pre-boarding but the gate agent just called for Group 1 after GS and family's with small children were called. Annoying for first class on an A319 because the bins up front were full.
Old Jan 30, 2019, 11:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by 1kBill
Recent flights had "pre-boarding" for 1K's out of SNA, DEN &SFO. Not so at PHL, where the board clearly showed 1K's at the end of pre-boarding but the gate agent just called for Group 1 after GS and family's with small children were called. Annoying for first class on an A319 because the bins up front were full.
That's complaint-worthy. It's a published benefit.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: United 1K, 1.9MM
Every time I fly out of TLV they have a different boarding procedure. When I flew out on flight 91 on 1/29/19, 1K's were told to stand on line 1. They actually had all of the old numbered boarding zones posted. This 4 months after the new boarding process was put in place!.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:55 am

During my flights the past couple of weeks I sort of loitered around the podium well aware of the fact that people lined up in he BG 1 and 2 lanes were eyeing me and questioning why I wasn't in one of the lines. Then when the preboarding started and 1K was called I calmly approached the scanner while I noticed that the 1Ks who dutifully had lined up in BG1 desperately tried to advance to the front past the other not 1Ks, all the while looking at me with evil eyes and cursing the fact that I somehow "gamed" the system. Then I sat down in 1B and had to endure the hateful looks in their face while they obviously tried to send a curse upon me working their way to their respective seats. Boarding wasn't the most comfortable of times.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:04 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Exleftseat
During my flights the past couple of weeks I sort of loitered around the podium well aware of the fact that people lined up in he BG 1 and 2 lanes were eyeing me and questioning why I wasn't in one of the lines. Then when the preboarding started and 1K was called I calmly approached the scanner while I noticed that the 1Ks who dutifully had lined up in BG1 desperately tried to advance to the front past the other not 1Ks, all the while looking at me with evil eyes and cursing the fact that I somehow "gamed" the system. Then I sat down in 1B and had to endure the hateful looks in their face while they obviously tried to send a curse upon me working their way to their respective seats. Boarding wasn't the most comfortable of times.
If they are 1K and they don't know that the system changed, they deserve not to be the first ones to board when 1Ks are called. Many months since the system changed and we all got an email about it.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by StuckinITH
If they are 1K and they don't know that the system changed, they deserve not to be the first ones to board when 1Ks are called. Many months since the system changed and we all got an email about it.
Not only that, UA sometimes sends an additional email with a reminder - my SO just got their reminder email a couple days ago in preparation for today's flight. If someone doesn't read these announcements, I don't have much sympathy. It's not like it just happened yesterday.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:17 am

Agree. I was surprised myself that there were seemingly few people who were aware of the ( now not any longer so ) new system. And I experienced that in so many airports on virtually all my flights, including LAX and ORD where I would have expected greater awareness.of the boarding procedure.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:25 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Many months since the system changed and we all got an email about it.
Agree, but the boarding pass stating "Boarding Group 1" may be just too much for some to overcome.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Does it say BG1 on GS boarding passes?
Old Jan 31, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Does it say BG1 on GS boarding passes?
Yes.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
More and more people boarding from Group 1 when 1Ks are called. I can see their BPs and they aren't 1K. And the gate agents aren't stopping them. It's making for a more cluttered boarding process. IAH seems to be the worst for this right now. ORD isn't much better.

-RM
Old Jan 31, 2019, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by RobOnLI
More and more people boarding from Group 1 when 1Ks are called. I can see their BPs and they aren't 1K. And the gate agents aren't stopping them. It's making for a more cluttered boarding process. IAH seems to be the worst for this right now. ORD isn't much better.

-RM

This.

First time poster, long time lurker!

ORD terminal 1 - at both ends of C and D are the worst. Nowhere near enough room for current process.

Last edited by 1kEA; Jan 31, 2019 at 8:56 pm Reason: Forgot terminal #
Old Jan 31, 2019, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Boarding at SFO today was pretty orderly, but I think the lack of 1Ks helped. About 10 of us boarded, appearing out of the woodwork to skirt around the lines and get on the flight -- similar to what I have observed GS do in years past. It's a mild benefit to not worry about overhead bin space, but I'm still skeptical it's worth all the furor it has caused.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: UA 1K
I am on a lot of E-170s, and it infuriates me when the new process is not followed. Being 1K or GS with this equipment is a major advantage, since half of F doesn't get their bags into the overheads. Interestingly, EWR has missed this several times over the past few weeks out of C terminal (A is sometimes understandable as it's a complete cluster). A GA last week told me that it "slowed down boarding" on the smaller plane, and they were just boarding groups together. No..... I mean, I wouldn't otherwise care if I knew I had dedicated overhead storage. But while I like the 170 and 175, you need to be aggressive in boarding in order to not have to fight upstream upon landing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.