Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2019, 8:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by S.R
Seems easier for the GA to just look at the boarding pass that lists the status right there (quite large on paper BPs), but hey what do I know
and your name is on your BP, why in the world would you have to say it aloud to the GA?

Old Jan 27, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
The counting is quite off-putting. A new development?
At EWR on Saturday a GA was going through the pre-board line and was yapping (and pointing at pax) to another GA who was checking VISAs: "Is this number 5? There should be another GS. Number 4 is over there."

​​​​​
Old Jan 28, 2019, 7:37 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I've never "enjoyed" pre-boarding before this change. Was it this bad/strange in the past? What did GS do?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 7:44 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by eng3
I've noticed that they are policing the pre-boarding of 1K's more. Over the past month or so on maybe 5 flights, when they call 1K's to pre-board, they announce "There should only be ## 1K's lining up" and they proceed to count how many board.
That seems to fail to account for companions of 1Ks, whether on the same PNR or not, who are eligible to board with them.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 7:45 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

Well, contrary to appearances at hubs, there might be zero 1Ks at outstations. Can’t clog up one of 2 boarding lines with no one. On occasion mid-week OGG-LAX, I’ve observed no GS or 1Ks take advantage of pre-board privilege.
Others have noted the variation, but the GAs should be able to account for that. If there are more than, say, 8 1Ks on the flight (or pick some percentage of capacity) then ask 1Ks to line up in group 1. If fewer, then do it as they do now, with the scrum, which wouldn't be too big.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 7:58 am

I must be lucky. Had six segments, domestic and international, and all the pre-boarding was very orderly for each segment.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
I must be lucky. Had six segments, domestic and international, and all the pre-boarding was very orderly for each segment.
Always helps to know the airports where it was good/bad/indifferent please!
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by flymsy
i must be lucky. Had six segments, domestic and international, and all the pre-boarding was very orderly for each segment.
Originally Posted by silver fox
always helps to know the airports where it was good/bad/indifferent please!
msy iah lax syd
Old Jan 28, 2019, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by drewguy
Others have noted the variation, but the GAs should be able to account for that. If there are more than, say, 8 1Ks on the flight (or pick some percentage of capacity) then ask 1Ks to line up in group 1. If fewer, then do it as they do now, with the scrum, which wouldn't be too big.
Unfortunately, this introduces uncertainty into boarding process. People with BG1 on the boarding pass want to line up in Lane 1. BG2 in lane 2. What you suggest would have 1Ks wondering where they'll be gathering, non-1K BG1ers being told to leave Lane 1 and line up in lane 2, BG2ers being told to line up in Lane 1 after 1Ks board. There's enough confusion as it is - the suggestion of 1Ks sometimes being in pre-board area and sometimes in Lane 1 doesn't make things simpler or easier.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drewguy
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Unfortunately, this introduces uncertainty into boarding process. People with BG1 on the boarding pass want to line up in Lane 1. BG2 in lane 2. What you suggest would have 1Ks wondering where they'll be gathering, non-1K BG1ers being told to leave Lane 1 and line up in lane 2, BG2ers being told to line up in Lane 1 after 1Ks board. There's enough confusion as it is - the suggestion of 1Ks sometimes being in pre-board area and sometimes in Lane 1 doesn't make things simpler or easier.
If they would print '0' or 'P' or something in the boarding group box, I suppose that would work, but I agree that it wouldn't be pleasant to have to check or even outright wonder for each flight what to do.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by fumje
If they would print '0' or 'P' or something in the boarding group box, I suppose that would work, but I agree that it wouldn't be pleasant to have to check or even outright wonder for each flight what to do.
Yea - a giant "Pre-board" for 1Ks and GSs instead of "BG1" on BPs is the most obvious improvement UA can make (IT willing).
Old Jan 28, 2019, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Yes the roll out had some confusion. The BP says "Group 1" and the GA will say "Group 1 line up in line 1". The email said NOT to line up at all. Numbering the lanes 1 and 2 adds to confusion since 3,4,5 wonder where they go., if it were just green and blue or A and B people wouldnt know where to line up til their group number was called.

They could do preboarding like WN with the posts. Have disabled, GS, military, family, 1K stand next to the posts though I suppose that doesnt really work well for the disabled or families and the whole point is that pre-boarders are supposed to be relaxing in a seat until they are called. Unfortunately, I often end up standing there because I'm not sure where to go and don't want to miss my change and have to wait for the entire 1 line to go.

The 5 lanes were much more clear in the past and the number of pre-boarders was pretty low. What was so bad about that?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 3:45 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by eng3
The 5 lanes were much more clear in the past and the number of pre-boarders was pretty low. What was so bad about that?
Nothing was bad about it, but UA has clearly decided to increase some perks of 1K status as they made it more expensive to reach.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by physioprof
Nothing was bad about it, but UA has clearly decided to increase some perks of 1K status as they made it more expensive to reach.
With the upgrade benefits for 1Ks circling the drain, my belief is UA knew they had to do something. And this is truly small consolation. Kayaking for discount J/F looks better every day.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by physioprof
This was supposed to be marketed as an increase of 1K perks? I guess I didn't notice. Isn't the boarding order still the same?

EDIT: Oh wait, 1K before plat vs grouped today. nevermind

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.