FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}
Old May 25, 2019, 12:48 pm
fumje
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MCOGUY
Why is paid First Class effectively Zone 5 on United? I'm Exec Platinum on AA, equivalent to 1K on United. Years ago I was 1K on United until they went into bankruptcy and as service went to hell I switched to American. Flash forward, company policy wants us to fly United, Delta, or Southwest, and with no status flying United, I book the coach fare, and then upgrade on my own dime to a paid First Class fare.

My gripe is the boarding order. Nothing against 1K's, but why should a paid First Class fare have lower priority than a 1K, who may or may not be in First Class, and might have a lower fare basis than the paid First Class passenger? I don't have a problem with the CK pre-boarding, but I do with the 1K's (as I'm the equivalent on AA), if you're already in First, no need for a separate boarding order, and if you are a 1K and not in First, then wait and board in the zone immediately after First Class, like AA does.

Living in Orlando, I'm especially irritate about boarding families and kids first - in MCO it's all families and kids! My gripe - First Class zone 1 means nothing! It's actually zone 5 after you board the pre-boards, military, CK, 1K, families etc. United tries to 'simplify' the boarding with fewer zones, but this is outright boarding fraud, the way they mislead people in thinking zone 1 is first boarding. I've seen First Class bins already filled up by families, 1ks etc, that most likely don't have a paid First Class ticket, yet they boarded before the paid First Class revenue passengers. I say. Board the kids and families after First, and the non-upgraded 1ks after First Class is more reasonable and fair.
In my experience there are very few pre-board passengers who use bin space away from their seats. I can't think of ever having seen it.

Later in the boarding process it can become more chaotic, as people get held up in the train, look down the aisle, and decide to grab the nearest available space.

All of which leads me to the conclusion that preboarding 1K passengers and even families has no effect on bin poaching.