Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2018, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1P
apparently not US citizens I fear
What on earth does that have to do with anything? Whether or not you can follow directions and wait your turn has nothing to do with nationality.
Old Jun 17, 2018, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by findark
UA seems to be wishfully thinking they can duplicate WN's boarding efficiency by moving to the two-lines-with-refresh model, but is missing the most important facet.
Available seating in the gate area?

David
Old Jun 23, 2018, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Is Global Services still effectively group 4 with this new setup? Flying through IAD tomorrow morning and will be experiencing the "new" process for the first time since they demoed it in Cleveland a while back then quickly killed it.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by LordHamster
Is Global Services still effectively group 4 with this new setup? Flying through IAD tomorrow morning and will be experiencing the "new" process for the first time since they demoed it in Cleveland a while back then quickly killed it.
GS is still pre-board, usually in the order of: Disabled, families with children under two, uniformed military, then GS. However a number of stations when GS agents are present (such as BOS) will quietly ask GS to board first.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 7:31 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
The "new" process is really an evolution of the godawful cluster that they inflicted upon Cleveland. That process (if you couldn't tell) I hated completely and without reservation or mitigation. The "new" process (at least as I've experienced in ORD...and...huh...somewhere else) is very close to what I asked for in one of these threads, and it's not perfect, nor as clean as having 5 boarding lanes it's infinitely more tolerable, and in some ways potentially better. (from the perspective of a G1 who likes to stand before I sit on a plane for any appreciable period of time and thinks a boarding lane is the most sensible/out of the way place to do it) than the CLE catastrophe.

In any event, the actual boarding order has not changed -- only the physical configuration of the boarding lanes so GS are still wherever the GA happens to call them amongst the military/need more time/children under 2/kitchen-sink-toting/GS preboarding order
Old Jun 23, 2018, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by wxguy
GS is still pre-board, usually in the order of: Disabled, families with children under two, uniformed military, then GS. However a number of stations when GS agents are present (such as BOS) will quietly ask GS to board first.
They can call it pre-board, but generally they call
1. Disabled
2. Children under 2
3. Military
4. GS

Making GS effectively BG4. 5 is then that they currently call BG1. Frankly there are usually so few GS and Military that they should IMO board first (as they are the few and the quick). Then Disabled / Children under 2.
TomA likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Originally Posted by jsloan
What on earth does that have to do with anything? Whether or not you can follow directions and wait your turn has nothing to do with nationality.
Apparantly you've never crossed the border between Shenzhen and Hong Kong. haha

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/frank...b_5387959.html

Last edited by TomA; Jun 23, 2018 at 8:25 pm
Old Jun 23, 2018, 7:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM - AF G – TK G – AZ Ex – Hilton D – Marriott G – IHG P
Will this system be used on international widebody flights as well?

I'm starting to just stay in the lounge until the last minute on a lot of flights. I usually have a medium backpack and small ipad case (kinda purse sized I guess). I'm not picking row 1 anymore so that I'm not forced to find overhead space for the backpack--it fits under the seat without using my legroom.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 10:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by TomA
Apparantly you've never crossed the border between Shenzhen and Hong Kong. haha
Fail to see what that has to do with the rather offensive suggestion upthread that non-US citizens mess up boarding. Obviously many other cultures also respect the concept of queue, since you're distinguishing between Hong Kong residents (queue) and mainland residents (no queue).

One of the most blatant line cuts I've ever experienced was by some jerk from California who cut in front of me at VIE.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 1:43 am

I personally prefer boarding processes & passengers in mainland China and India. Planes are fully boarded in like 10 min. Not the 35+ min ordeal / dog&pony show we get here with US airlines.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: United Million Mile Flyer, Hilton Silver, Marriott Gold, DL, AA WN
Originally Posted by 1P
Those sitting in the bulkhead row of domestic F do indeed need to be gate lice because they have no storage under the seat in front of them and all their carry-on luggage therefore has to go into the overhead. And if you want to know why they sit in the bulkhead row, it's principally so that they don't have anyone in front of them reclining a seat into their lap to the point that they cannot even get a tray out for a meal, let alone to work on a laptop..

That's why it would be good to add an additional category after the Preboards for bulkhead F pax, before the rest of whatever Group 1 is going to be called.
This is also true of E+ and other Y bulk head passengers. Allowing passengers in these seats - no matter their status - to board in group 1 would help at least for those who are able to arrive at the gate before boarding begins. (We all know that there is little hope for any connecting passengers whose incoming flights are late for over head space no matter what their status or boarding group.)
Old Jun 24, 2018, 7:23 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Karl-MDW
This is also true of E+ and other Y bulk head passengers. Allowing passengers in these seats - no matter their status - to board in group 1 would help at least for those who are able to arrive at the gate before boarding begins. (We all know that there is little hope for any connecting passengers whose incoming flights are late for over head space no matter what their status or boarding group.)
I'm normally a fairly passive gate louse -- see previous comments about wanting to stand before sitting -- but I become somewhat more aggressive when I'm in a bulkhead for exactly that reason (and I was quoted in the WSJ last year because of it -- it's the only time, aside from my wedding, I ever have anything in the overhead on UA).

This though, I think could more effectively be resolved onboard. I've seen (on both mainline, and UAEX) flight attendants 'protect' the first bin -- particularly in F, occasionally in Y -- until the bulkhead pax are onboard and seated. The level of protection ranges from just closing the bin to closing the bin and politely scolding anyone trying to usurp the space (along the lines of "I need to save this bin for the customers in 1x/y because there's nowhere else for their personal belongings") to physically moving any non-bulkhead bags aft if they still don't listen.

If this was a more formalized policy/procedure, I can see how that would take some of the stress/urgency out of it for bulkhead pax.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM
Just had first experience with new boarding and config. Horrendous security lines had me a bit late to gate, no worries, only about 15 people in line 1, and tons in line 2. Turns out they were boarding group 3 and all 15 people in line 1 were group 4 trying to "nose in" so I had to join the end of group 3.

Im all for the new theory boarding, but it only "works" if the policy is followed.. Because if not, it will be worse than previous catastrophe with all the back groups filling in line 1 "waiting" ..
Old Jun 25, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by ecoomer
Just had first experience with new boarding and config. Horrendous security lines had me a bit late to gate, no worries, only about 15 people in line 1, and tons in line 2. Turns out they were boarding group 3 and all 15 people in line 1 were group 4 trying to "nose in" so I had to join the end of group 3.

Im all for the new theory boarding, but it only "works" if the policy is followed.. Because if not, it will be worse than previous catastrophe with all the back groups filling in line 1 "waiting" ..
You mustn't be afraid to simply walk around them or walk to the gate agent, show your boarding pass, and board. If you're G1 and they're boarding G3, you have the right to do this. That is the goal of the 'new' lanes and the G1 lane should've been kept empty when not in use. However, some airports/gates are space constrained so I guess YMMV.

I know it sounds borderline DYKWIA, but if done right, will be just fine. Just don't, you know, start raising your voice and saying you're G1, United's number one customer, and demand they stop boarding till the red carpet comes out for you, and then run everyone down on your way to the boarding pass scanner.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 1:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I personally prefer boarding processes & passengers in mainland China and India. Planes are fully boarded in like 10 min. Not the 35+ min ordeal / dog&pony show we get here with US airlines.
Meaning, calling boarding in one shot and watching an out of control mob push and shove their way on board, stomping on and climbing over any unlucky fool who happens to trip or fall in the melee? No thanks. On my last flight on a Chinese airline, and hopefully last ever for the rest of my life, I watched two old Chinese ladies shove two young caucasian female backpackers to the ground and climb over them trying to get on the terminal bus after we landed. You would think a tsunami or other disaster was just minutes away. Boarding the next flight for departure involved being shoved, and then needing to shove my way through a massive crowd of people rushing for the bus without people showing any regard for pre-boarding, the elderly, wheelchairs, children or anyone or anything else. It was like watching people rushing from a burning theater. You needed to push your way through or risk being trampled. By the time I got on board, I swear my life expectancy was just shortened by 3 years.

I'd rather have an orderly boarding process defined by groups with strict enforcement by properly trained gate agents who keep the lines straight and in order, punish line cutters and those who board out of order, and ensure priority is maintained for passengers by cabin, status and group number. If UA should take a cue from any other carrier, it would be NH, and most definitely not CA.
Silver Fox and JVPhoto like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.