Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2018, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HH Gold, Marriott Gold Elite
New Boarding Process

Don't know if this has been discussed. Just received this e-mail on new boarding process:

Update about your upcoming flight from EWR
United® will be introducing a new boarding method at select gates at New York/Newark (EWR). Our customers have told us they want a better experience when boarding, so we’re working to improve the process.Here are some of the changes you may see if your gate is demonstrating a new process:
No need to line up before your group is called: Simplified lanes with new signs will allow you to relax at the gate or within the airport longer.
More efficient boarding: Following priority boarding groups, we’ll board customers sitting in window seats first and then middle and aisle seats.
Less crowding: Fewer lines will create more space and easier access to the boarding door for customers exiting the plane from the previous flight and during pre-boarding.
Improved digital displays: Monitors around the gate will display clear and relevant information about boarding and your flight.

There’s nothing you need to do right now. We value your feedback and you may receive a survey about your boarding experience after your flight.
Thank you for choosing to fly United. We look forward to seeing you on your upcoming flight.
Learn more ›
Old Jun 28, 2018, 5:14 am

I received the same email for my flight yesterday from ORD-FLL. To me, it was a more confusing overall to the travelers in the gate area. With no where specific to line up for 3-5, lanes 1-2 just because a crowded mess.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 6:23 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by msglsmo
I received the same email for my flight yesterday from ORD-FLL. To me, it was a more confusing overall to the travelers in the gate area. With no where specific to line up for 3-5, lanes 1-2 just because a crowded mess.
Pretty sure the GA and the monitors state (or should) "If you are in Groups 3-5, please stay seated until your group number is called".
Old Jun 28, 2018, 8:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
This though, I think could more effectively be resolved onboard. I've seen (on both mainline, and UAEX) flight attendants 'protect' the first bin -- particularly in F, occasionally in Y -- until the bulkhead pax are onboard and seated. The level of protection ranges from just closing the bin to closing the bin and politely scolding anyone trying to usurp the space (along the lines of "I need to save this bin for the customers in 1x/y because there's nowhere else for their personal belongings") to physically moving any non-bulkhead bags aft if they still don't listen.

If this was a more formalized policy/procedure, I can see how that would take some of the stress/urgency out of it for bulkhead pax.
If UA would do this, I'd sit in the UC until 15 before boarding ends. Just like I used to do before the merger when I never had to worry about finding OH space for my carry on. I won't hold my breath waiting for this to happen, however.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
I thought this was mostly ORD and IAH, with some EWR added. Just got this notice for my flight tomorrow from SFO. I didn't think they would try and introduce new processes during what TSA says is going to be their biggest weekend EVER.
Old Jun 30, 2018, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by nmenaker
I thought this was mostly ORD and IAH, with some EWR added. Just got this notice for my flight tomorrow from SFO. I didn't think they would try and introduce new processes during what TSA says is going to be their biggest weekend EVER.
I got one for IAD yesterday, but they were not using the new process.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 4:00 am

Programs: UA and SQ; Hilton, Fairmont, Marriott, Rydges Priority
Just had the pleasure of flying a domestic Virgin Australia in a 737-800 with a full load of pax.
From the first ‘elites’ boarding call to doors closed just over 10 minutes.
One half the plane boarded from the front, the other via the rear stairs.
Carryon limited to one piece, maximum 7kg and policed. Plenty of room in the overheads for everyone.
Compared to the boarding chaos I experience with United virtually 100% of the time this showed how it can be done.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 6:28 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
I cant ever remember boarding a UA flight where boarding was thru both the front and the back. Perhaps someone can ID when this has been done. Been on a number of foreign carriers where the carryon weight limit strictly enforced. Planes seem to empty faster upon arrival. When we flew on Icleandair a few years ago the carryon was one pound over. I had to check it.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 7:37 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by leiserom
I cant ever remember boarding a UA flight where boarding was thru both the front and the back. Perhaps someone can ID when this has been done. Been on a number of foreign carriers where the carryon weight limit strictly enforced. Planes seem to empty faster upon arrival. When we flew on Icleandair a few years ago the carryon was one pound over. I had to check it.
Bolding mine: Way back in the days/daze when I lived on the United Shuttle SFO-BUR-SFO, it was quite common to board thru both the front and back stairs rolled out to the aircraft at BUR
Old Jul 1, 2018, 7:55 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by leiserom
for a short while we had dual jet bridges in Denver for boarding from both ends. Then one collapsed. Good idea but shoddy engineering. Instead of fixing the design, the idea was abandoned. Kind of like the baggage system.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 12:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Just received my email about my flight from SFO tomorrow - has anyone experienced the new process at SFO departing on a widebody? I can only imagine the result is a massive mob of hundreds crowding the door area, with people from different zones pushing and shoving through as they are called forward, extensive line cutting and zone jumping, similar to what I've experienced boarding a widebody on AA - complete and utter chaos with none of the gate staff doing anything to control it.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Just received my email about my flight from SFO tomorrow - has anyone experienced the new process at SFO departing on a widebody? I can only imagine the result is a massive mob of hundreds crowding the door area, with people from different zones pushing and shoving through as they are called forward, extensive line cutting and zone jumping, similar to what I've experienced boarding a widebody on AA - complete and utter chaos with none of the gate staff doing anything to control it.
In my experience, widebody boarding occurs one of two ways as there are two doors:

BG1/2 are lined up to the left. BG 3/4/5 are lined up to the right.

1. After pre-boarding, BG1 is told to board. They utilize both doors. Then BG2. Then 3,4,5.
2. After pre-boarding, BG1 and BG3 board concurrently. BG1 through the door that is in the front, BG3 on the door to the back of the plane. Then BG2 and BG4. And Finally BG5.

#2 is what I normally experience 95% of the time.

I have never experienced a UA flight that is a massive mob. Only AA or UA express (and a very delayed UA express hence why they used the reason that everyone needs to board together). I would not fear for this new boarding process. Every time people "find" themselves in BG1 and they're holding a BG4/5 boarding pass, the GA very quickly tells them to sit down and wait till their group is called. Also, if you require a passport check, this also serves as a pre-emptive "you're in the wrong lane for boarding" reminder by a GA.
bocastephen likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 6:30 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
In my experience, widebody boarding occurs one of two ways as there are two doors:

1. After pre-boarding, BG1 is told to board. They utilize both doors. Then BG2. Then 3,4,5.
2. After pre-boarding, BG1 and BG3 board concurrently. BG1 through the door that is in the front, BG3 on the door to the back of the plane. Then BG2 and BG4. And Finally BG5.

Which doesn't make any sense, considering everyone in BG2 is in Y. This defeats the whole purpose of BG2 priority, effectively switching BG2 and BG3 orders.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by zeer0
Which doesn't make any sense, considering everyone in BG2 is in Y. This defeats the whole purpose of BG2 priority, effectively switching BG2 and BG3 orders.
I agree. However, it is due to the fact that BG1/2 are lined up together on one side. While BG 3/4/5 are lined up on the other side.
So, only one side per scanner moves forward.

And again, it's only happened to me once or twice. hence the 5%.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Originally Posted by laxmillenial

I have never experienced a UA flight that is a massive mob. Only AA or UA express (and a very delayed UA express hence why they used the reason that everyone needs to board together). I would not fear for this new boarding process. Every time people "find" themselves in BG1 and they're holding a BG4/5 boarding pass, the GA very quickly tells them to sit down and wait till their group is called. Also, if you require a passport check, this also serves as a pre-emptive "you're in the wrong lane for boarding" reminder by a GA.
Although I have not boarded a widebody at ORD with the new procedure, 2. is my typical experience at ORD and 1. is my typical experience at SFO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.