Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2018, 9:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
I agree. However, it is due to the fact that BG1/2 are lined up together on one side. While BG 3/4/5 are lined up on the other side.
So, only one side per scanner moves forward.

And again, it's only happened to me once or twice. hence the 5%.
How does this work - is everyone crowded together in a clump on each side of the fence, and when a boarding group is called, they lurch forward out of the line to rush the podium? I can't imagine how this is more efficient and less stressful than strictly enforcing one single file line per group, boarding in order.

I guess I will find out in a few hours - but from my couple of experiences boarding an AA 777 with no status, even with two boarding lanes, everyone just pushed and shoved into one mass of people that created a fan shape growing wider away from the podium, then as each priority was called, there was mass panic as people began pushing and shoving their way through the mass to get to the boarding lanes at the very front. Unless you were at the gate 40 minutes before departure and managed to get into one of the short lanes, the result was definitely not pretty.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by bocastephen
How does this work - is everyone crowded together in a clump on each side of the fence, and when a boarding group is called, they lurch forward out of the line to rush the podium? I can't imagine how this is more efficient and less stressful than strictly enforcing one single file line per group, boarding in order.

I guess I will find out in a few hours - but from my couple of experiences boarding an AA 777 with no status, even with two boarding lanes, everyone just pushed and shoved into one mass of people that created a fan shape growing wider away from the podium, then as each priority was called, there was mass panic as people began pushing and shoving their way through the mass to get to the boarding lanes at the very front. Unless you were at the gate 40 minutes before departure and managed to get into one of the short lanes, the result was definitely not pretty.
For UA widebodies, at least intl, there's a boarding lane per group. On the one time I took a widebody domestically, there's a lane for BG1 and BG2. BG3/4/5 are told to sit, stay out of the lanes, and then told to line up in BG1's lane when BG2 is called.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
So, I'm currently sitting by the GA at SFO-LAX (waiting to board because it's a solid potential oversale situation) and I'm getting to observe the full boarding process with the new lanes. The group 2-3 changeover was not super smooth, but seems to be going well otherwise.

Edited cause I apparently always assume I'm flying to ORD
Old Jul 4, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by zymm
So, I'm currently sitting by the GA at SFO-LAX (waiting to board because it's a solid potential oversale situation) and I'm getting to observe the full boarding process with the new lanes. The group 2-3 changeover was not super smooth, but seems to be going well otherwise.

Edited cause I apparently always assume I'm flying to ORD
I was on the SFO ORD on Sunday, oversold, people were confused, it was basically the only gate doing the new 1/2 and 345 wait process. But, the oversold meant they were offering 2000$ for a later flight change. We had to get to destination, but these are good days if one wants to play bump roulette.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 10:03 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Report from my boarding experience - basically no change from the former/standard setup. Grp1/2 on the left side door, each with their own lane, Grp 3/4/5 on the right side door, each with their own lane. SFO Gate 100.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Report from my boarding experience - basically no change from the former/standard setup. Grp1/2 on the left side door, each with their own lane, Grp 3/4/5 on the right side door, each with their own lane. SFO Gate 100.
Did they start 1 & 3 at the same time, or did 2 come before 3?
Old Jul 5, 2018, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by fumje
Did they start 1 & 3 at the same time, or did 2 come before 3?
They followed the old method...preboards, G1, G2 then G3 etc
Old Aug 4, 2018, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA 1P, SPG Gold
Not sure if this is different than what is now being done:

Old Aug 4, 2018, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by laangelsfan
Not sure if this is different than what is now being done:

https://twitter.com/briansumers/stat...442946560?s=21
Nothing new. Been in place at various airports for months now.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz PC, Avis 1st
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Nothing new. Been in place at various airports for months now.
I've used the "new" signs at IAH and it's fine. What I'm interested in is the "Improved recognition and better positioning of customer status levels to create more balanced boarding groups."
Old Aug 5, 2018, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by iahkid2014
I've used the "new" signs at IAH and it's fine. What I'm interested in is the "Improved recognition and better positioning of customer status levels to create more balanced boarding groups."
Well, the new system provides lanes at the onset of boarding for only BG1&2, so only the Premier Access passengers can stand in their lines if they choose to do so. Instead of providing lanes for BGs 3-5, the non-status get to sit or stand nearby and see the priority boarders stand in their queues - some recognition . Not sure how "more balanced boarding groups" works w/o UA actually adjusting who goes into which group, which I don't think has happened.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 2:10 pm

I will say the push alerts via the app once boarding starts is pretty nice.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 2:49 pm

Programs: AS G75K, UA Silver
Having used the new lanes often enough, there's one thing that seems completely overlooked:

Why on early would you give the lanes the same numbers as boarding groups? I've seen many confused pax when asking Group 3 to board through Lane 2. If you called them "Lane A" and "Lane B", I could probably see a lot less confusion trying to match group numbers to the lane numbers.

I will say the push alerts via the app once boarding starts is pretty nice.
This is a thing now? I have push alerts disabled, so I'm assuming the only place you see this is via the alert?
lincolnjkc likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 3:59 pm

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
This is a thing now? I have push alerts disabled, so I'm assuming the only place you see this is via the alert?
Yep, maybe for about a month or two now? As soon as they start, my phone dings. Pretty good.
Old Aug 5, 2018, 8:43 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Gold

Yep, maybe for about a month or two now? As soon as they start, my phone dings. Pretty good.
Do you enable the push notifications for a specific flight on the app or do you have it enabled for everything? I have all pushes set to on and have probably taken 30+ flights since then, have never got a notification.

Either way, sounds great once it starts working

PS - also happy to see they will start updating boarding times for delayed flights, similar to AA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.