Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by halls120
...Before they started charging for bags, people brought less on to the plane...
While this may be true, I have found that I have been conditioned to not want to wait 10-20 minutes for the process of recovering my bags at the carousel. My time is too valuable to wait that long, when I could be that much closer to wherever I need to be. As a Plat I get 3 bags free, but would prefer not to check any if I can help it. I suspect there are more than enough FF that feel the same way and is a consideration in any BG process.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: Hertz PC
What drives me nuts is the fake disabled...

You get the convoy of wheel chairs and other disabled that "Magically" sprint off the plane at the destination. I say if you disabled and you pre board you have to be the last ones off the plane. I think that would stop a lot of the fraud.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 9:25 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by bhunt
What drives me nuts is the fake disabled...

You get the convoy of wheel chairs and other disabled that "Magically" sprint off the plane at the destination. I say if you disabled and you pre board you have to be the last ones off the plane. I think that would stop a lot of the fraud.
Its NOT only the disabled that get wheel chaired to the gate. ANY non UM person who needs assistance, including the perfectly able bodied elderly who need help navigating to the gate or help navigating the terminal automatically gets put on a wheelchair. We asked for assistance for my 85+ year old grandmother who was traveling alone to be taken to her gate. They showed up with a wheelchair. She looked at the the wheelchair and told the guy I can walk. THEY insisted that she take the wheelchair. Saw this happening many times at the checkin desk when help is requested for a senior traveling alone. This wheelchair and pre-boarding was engineered by the Airlines who decided to pre-board ANYONE who needs even minor assistance, including the elderly who only need help finding their gate. [Overly personalized comment removed by moderator.]

Last edited by l etoile; Feb 11, 2018 at 11:04 am Reason: Rule 12
Old Feb 11, 2018, 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by seat38a
And as someone who pays for his first class seat and actually values my overhead bin space, I disagree. Yeah its going to go down really well when FC boards last and finds all the FC overhead bins poached by Coach passengers.
I think you read the first part of my suggestion about F boarding last, and then didn’t read the rest—where I suggested a solution to the exact issue you raise.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 2:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by prometa
I think you read the first part of my suggestion about F boarding last, and then didn’t read the rest—where I suggested a solution to the exact issue you raise.
This suggestion:

​​​​​​Put an FA in the last row of F during Y boarding, with the OH bins in F closed, and the FA can just tell everyone 'nope, can't put your bag there', and bin space for F passengers will be fine.
Won't work. It would require an FA to stand and guard the F bins during the boarding, and that simply isn't going to happen.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 3:28 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 2MM, HH LT Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by halls120
This suggestion:

Won't work. It would require an FA to stand and guard the F bins during the boarding, and that simply isn't going to happen.
I watched four late boarding F passengers have to check bags last week because BG3 or 4 people stowed their bags in the F cabin with the FA watching them do so.

Last edited by limey1K; Feb 11, 2018 at 4:38 pm Reason: Clarity
Old Feb 11, 2018, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by limey1K
I watched four late boarding F passengers have to check bags last week because BG3 or 4 people stowed their bags in the F cabin with the FA watching them do so.
Premerger, I was on a CO flight. The guy who ultimately sat beside me watched a coach passenger take a spot in the FC cabin. He took that passenger’s bag out, put his in and then gate checked it. He put the receipt in the overhead locker. Gutsy. Not something I’d do.
bocastephen and Silver Fox like this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
Premerger, I was on a CO flight. The guy who ultimately sat beside me watched a coach passenger take a spot in the FC cabin. He took that passenger’s bag out, put his in and then gate checked it. He put the receipt in the overhead locker. Gutsy. Not something I’d do.
And for an excellent reason. Not only is that bag now presumably checked in Mr. FC's name -- meaning he'll be the first person approached if it contains anything it shouldn't -- but it's also going to show up in baggage claim at his destination, not the person's whose property it is.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 10:01 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Misplaced or not, it doesn't give Mr FC the right to handle or remove someone else's property.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 2:14 am

Programs: AA Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
And for an excellent reason. Not only is that bag now presumably checked in Mr. FC's name -- meaning he'll be the first person approached if it contains anything it shouldn't -- but it's also going to show up in baggage claim at his destination, not the person's whose property it is.
I assume OP used gate check to mean valet check (green tag, no name, shows up plane side).

But I agree it's not great form!
Old Feb 12, 2018, 8:12 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by prometa

What everyone else since your reply said plus we already have a bunch of FA's who minimally do their job or don't do it. The only thing I trust 100% is boarding first before coach can poach the spaces.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 11:33 pm

plus we already have a bunch of FA's who minimally do their job or don't do it.
I apologize if I am out of date, but in my experience, UA FA's were not paid until the door closed. How do you have a job to do when you are not being paid?
laxmillenial likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K; Kimpton Inner Circle, Marriott Platinum; Hilton Diamond
I'm at ORD and I see a new boarding process down by the B24 gate. The gate agent says it is a test. A sign shows two choices...Main and Bypass. It seems that UA will board each group as they call them up but no longer at some gates will you have Groups 1-5. They say it's to improve experience and getting people on the plane faster.
Old Feb 13, 2018, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA

Its NOT only the disabled that get wheel chaired to the gate. ANY non UM person who needs assistance, including the perfectly able bodied elderly who need help navigating to the gate or help navigating the terminal automatically gets put on a wheelchair. We asked for assistance for my 85+ year old grandmother who was traveling alone to be taken to her gate. They showed up with a wheelchair. She looked at the the wheelchair and told the guy I can walk. THEY insisted that she take the wheelchair. Saw this happening many times at the checkin desk when help is requested for a senior traveling alone. This wheelchair and pre-boarding was engineered by the Airlines who decided to pre-board ANYONE who needs even minor assistance, including the elderly who only need help finding their gate. [Overly personalized comment removed by moderator.]
What did you think assistance meant? If you just need directions, the employee doesn't whip out a wheelchair and force you to sit in it. Otherwise the airport would be crawling with wheelchairs, and I would be in one of them, infuriated that a simple question was answered with a wheelchair and "okay, let's go".
Old Feb 13, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I like the cattle pen boarding lanes better. The gate lice can hang out in their own boarding groups.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.