Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
So 1K's used to be in BG1...good lord how long was that line!??
Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by threeoh
This seems like it would placate most people:

Preboard: GS, extra time
BG1: 1K, F, J
BG2: Plat, Gold, *G
BG3: Silvers, CC
BG 4-5: Y
BG 6: BE
works for me
Old Sep 20, 2018, 10:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LordHamster
works for me
it should - that construct would be essentially the pmUA process - the one that worked fine until SMI/J blew it up.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Had my first experience this morning. Thursday 6 AM 737-900 into SFO and I would guess the load is international heavy.

The boarding area definitely looks a lot better with fewer lines. I asked the GA how things have worked. She said not well. She said passengers would argue with them on the rules and even among themselves.

The Group 1 line was very long (30?) and Group 2 is only 1/3 of the Group 1 line.

When boarding started, GA called 2 GS by name then 1K. Now, some 1Ks lined up in Group 1 and others did not. So, we had to merge. I think about 10-15 of us boarded but F was only less than 1/2 full after that (many 1Ks were in Y).
Old Sep 20, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
I'm 0/2 for the 1K priority boarding today (CLE-IAD and IAD-PVD)... Agent in CLE made a PA about the boarding process having changed in the past week, but only appiled the Groups 2+ use the Green Lane portion of the change, otherwise bog-standard boarding.

I was in the front of G1 both times so no skin off my back but... (iffy carry-on for #1 that I wanted to make sure would get in a bin, bulkhead for #2 )
Old Sep 20, 2018, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
It's very simple, as soon as GS starts to board, I will just start moving with them. I don't see the need to stand with group 1 any longer.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Originally Posted by username
Had my first experience this morning. Thursday 6 AM 737-900 into SFO and I would guess the load is international heavy.

The boarding area definitely looks a lot better with fewer lines. I asked the GA how things have worked. She said not well. She said passengers would argue with them on the rules and even among themselves.

The Group 1 line was very long (30?) and Group 2 is only 1/3 of the Group 1 line.

When boarding started, GA called 2 GS by name then 1K. Now, some 1Ks lined up in Group 1 and others did not. So, we had to merge. I think about 10-15 of us boarded but F was only less than 1/2 full after that (many 1Ks were in Y).
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
I'm 0/2 for the 1K priority boarding today (CLE-IAD and IAD-PVD)... Agent in CLE made a PA about the boarding process having changed in the past week, but only appiled the Groups 2+ use the Green Lane portion of the change, otherwise bog-standard boarding.

I was in the front of G1 both times so no skin off my back but... (iffy carry-on for #1 that I wanted to make sure would get in a bin, bulkhead for #2 )

This is the kind of shocking inconsistency that I know and love from UA.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 11:44 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Good for you.

Unfortunately I am sitting on 2 UA paid first class tickets. One a mid-con ($1200) and one a hub-to-hub trans-con ($1900).

I will tweet UA customer (lack of) service both times explaining to them how they are mistreating paid first pax.

As a buyer of FC, I don't even bother to look at UA if I want to buy a first class ticket within 3 days....the cabin is already full of mileage pax and 1k/GS upgraders...DL is the easiest in these situations and AA better than UA but not great.
Suggest you continue to look at UA for last moment paid FC. Every flight I'm on has generally kept two FC seats available for purchase up until maybe one hour before departure.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 11:48 am

Programs: AA ConciergeKey | UA Plat | UA 2M Miler | Marriott Plat | Hilton Gold | Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
It's very simple, as soon as GS starts to board, I will just start moving with them. I don't see the need to stand with group 1 any longer.
This is definitely the safest bet. I have taken two flights since this was implemented on Tuesday and that's been my approach. It will take weeks to "train" a large group of entitled GS and 1K flyers on how to behave. The main issue will be the size of the lingering masses near the gate who are pre-boarding -- I really don't think United thought this one through.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
0705 flight this morning, MCO-ORD:

The new boarding process worked very well. There was no scrum. Announcements were clear and sufficient gaps in time were available between groups.
I did not board with the pre-boards, I waited until the end to see how it was working.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by threeoh
No, Gold used to be BG2 (with Silvers/CCs) and now is BG1. So Silvers at the end of the BG2 line have the same experience, but Silvers at the beginning of the BG2 line have a very different experience.

I think most people here would be happy if 1K/F/GS boarded together, then Gold/*G, then Silver/CC. I think people are more upset about Gold being comingled with F than they are with 1K boarding first (and even those upset at that would be ok with 1K boarding with F).

This seems like it would placate most people:

Preboard: GS, extra time
BG1: 1K, F, J
BG2: Plat, Gold, *G
BG3: Silvers, CC
BG 4-5: Y
BG 6: BE
It would hurt UA's cause in promoting their Chase card as "priority" and they care quite a bit about signing people up for those cards.

On Tuesday with flights out of CLE and ORD. The whole process seemed more orderly and less chaotic than I've often seen over the past few years. Yes, Group 1 was longer but no one seemed to care. The typical experience of 60% of all passengers fitting in Group 2 was clearly different.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 20, 2018 at 1:47 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by SF1K
Yes that is the case. So on 1 side of the argument is that the occasional F passengers is not as valuable to UA as the 1K. Seems AA sees that differently. Who knows, but as I stated in another thread as a non-status passenger in F I get treated better than a lowly Platinum on UA in F. I've already been told in that thread "then go fly another airline" - which I will/have. I only choose UA if the schedule and price is the most convenient for me compared to another airline, and then I just remind myself that it is going to mean it won't be a very good experience - set low expectations and they may be met.
Maybe if UA treated their occasional F pax as a valued customer and provide him/her first class service then the occasional might just become permanent.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
It would hurt UA's cause in promoting their Chase card as "priority" and they care quite a bit about signing people up for those cards.
Yeah - UA is stuck with designing a priority boarding sequence that includes people who shouldn't be promised priority boarding. Sure, give 'em a free bag and Premier Access at security. Neither require a structure like boarding does.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Yeah - UA is stuck with designing a priority boarding sequence that includes people who shouldn't be promised priority boarding. Sure, give 'em a free bag and Premier Access at security. Neither require a structure like boarding does.
Yes, that is half of their problem... they put themselves in a box over these credit cards. But it's only half their problem as witnessed by all of the posts over the best order for all of these "pre-board" groups. Right now, I count five pre-board groups with their own pecking order. Surely they can't make a line for each.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by sdix
Maybe if UA treated their occasional F pax as a valued customer and provide him/her first class service then the occasional might just become permanent.
The occasional F pax is still in BG1. Not BG2. Not BG3. Not BG4. Not BG5. They still get the seat/meal they paid for. They still get an orange tag on their bag.

When I see a GS customer treated like they are, I want to be a GS customer. Should everybody be treated like GSs in hopes they strive for GS? There would be 200 passengers pre-boarding a 757. Would kind of defeat the purpose of attaining status. Maybe the occasional F customer will see how a loyal customer is treated, maybe they'll want to become a loyal customer. Your argument is bogus: "I am paid F and I want to be treated better, but I don't want to have to become a loyal customer to be treated better". United has decided which passengers demonstrate current continuing value. It's actually a small subset of UA's frequent flyers. United has decided proven worth is more than "maybe I'll be a more frequent customer if 2 or 3 people don't board ahead of me". A lot of flyers make their choices based on network/schedule/price, not boarding sequence. If UA loses a potential customer because of a temper tantrum over boarding sequence, maybe United is more than willing to say "adios".

If AA provides the network and frequency you want, go for it. If they don't and you make the move because your ego is bruised because you have to board behind 3 other people, that's your choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.