Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kokonutz
How many times do the 100 UA and * Golds licing ahead of premium cabin pax have to be pointed out to you.

It's tiresome. Kind of like flying UA.
If it truly bothers you that much, since I believe this is a deliberate attempt to provide an extra benefit to 1K's and doubt it will change - why wouldn't you just fly someone else if this is so important to you.

Often, people value different things - if this is so valuable, certainly there are other airlines that will let you pre-board ahead of the top elites.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:54 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
UA has strong reasons to want 1K's happier. Here is the data. Another thread widely says there are probably about 100,000 1K's - if that is the case, that means $1,200,000,000+ reasons to keep that group happy - and that is based only on minium PQD
assuming 100,000 1k are us residents. which i doubt. i know of someone who got 1k off $2000 pqd. still loyal to the ua ff program but mostly flying overseas on oal.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:23 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
I will miss GA's jumbling up the boarding announcement to welcome "uniformed Global Service members."
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
Originally Posted by getagb
Gate agents know who’s going to board the plane. I think it’s fine if they combine small groups.
Ha. Really? Yes, they have the ability to know who is boarding the plane, but IME many do not care to take notice and tailor their boarding process accordingly. This is based on years of missed split-second windows for GS pre-boarding. I still have little faith that this pre-boarding will be properly structured and executed in the long term.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by cur
assuming 100,000 1k are us residents. which i doubt. i know of someone who got 1k off $2000 pqd. still loyal to the ua ff program but mostly flying overseas on oal.
I don't know if it 100,000 1K's or 200,000 or 50,000. But for every $2000 PQD person there is likely someone like me, who balances them out as a $30,000 PQD person - lots of PQD ( to me, not to UA), but not enough love for GS
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I don't know if it 100,000 1K's or 200,000 or 50,000. But for every $2000 PQD person there is likely someone like me, who balances them out as a $30,000 PQD person - lots of PQD ( to me, not to UA), but not enough love for GS
Yep. It would be interesting to see the distribution. But it's considerably easier to make 1K with $30k in spend than it is with $2k in spend

At the end of the day, the fact that UA has chosen to give 1Ks boarding priority over occasional F purchasers probably tells us something about which group of passengers is more profitable to them.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee

At the end of the day, the fact that UA has chosen to give 1Ks boarding priority over occasional F purchasers probably tells us something about which group of passengers is more profitable to them.
I agree - here is what UA does know via analytics - they know exactly who is boarding at what time. Regardless which side if the aisle you are on with this issue - UA has the data - and the data justified this benefit or was part of a bigger strategy to make the loyal fliers even more loyal.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:20 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
The bean counters at UA would love on any given flight to see 40 GS/1K's - personal opinion, I doubt any flight ever had 40 GS/1K
That happens quite commonly in SFO-HKG, SFO-PVG, SFO-TPE and SFO-NRT. One of my HKG-SFO flights more than a year ago when I was 1K, I was told by a FA 49 1Ks were on board, that was a record for me..
Domestically, my trip SFO-IAD 08Jun18 UA408 on a 777-200 there were more than 10 GS boarding. On my return 10Jun18 UA2274 on a smaller plane (737-900s?) there were at least 8.GS. The average ratio of 1Ks is 4X GS. Similar size happened last month on 777-200 both ways when 12 GS boarded in SFO.

Last edited by PanAmWT; Sep 20, 2018 at 1:34 am
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Yep. It would be interesting to see the distribution. But it's considerably easier to make 1K with $30k in spend than it is with $2k in spend

Precisely. Quite why some people have a hard time understanding that is beyond me. I am certain they have crunched the numbers and know exactly where to place their emphasis.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 3:24 am

You mean the same reason why UA has chosen to give occasional INTL $1500 P-fare purchasers PL access on domestic connections, over 1Ks who spend $49k exclusively on UA and can sit in an overcrowded UC at best? Or the same reason why the GF-legacy cabin is filled with occasional J upgraders and non-revs over 1Ks?

You had a point if one or the other was treated consistently better, but that's just not the case. In fact, service treatment has become even more inconsistent now.

And please, let's all stop pretending how valuable we are to UA, it sounds very much DYKWIA. Every customer is valuable and every customer deserves a consistently good level of service that is appropriate for the class of service he is booked in.

Last edited by mozilla; Sep 20, 2018 at 4:12 am
Old Sep 20, 2018, 5:08 am

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
I agree - here is what UA does know via analytics - they know exactly who is boarding at what time. Regardless which side if the aisle you are on with this issue - UA has the data - and the data justified this benefit or was part of a bigger strategy to make the loyal fliers even more loyal.
If this is true, they will soon see the result of the cuts to the GS expirence - removal of GF, degradation of pre-boariding, etc.

If many decisions post-merger were indeed made based on data, I doubt the same decisions would have been made.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 5:37 am

Programs: United 1K 2 Million Miles, BA Silver, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Shambles at LHR ok UA17 to EWR this morning, no pre boarding for 1k passengers and groups 1/2 all mixed together.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Ok, EWR-FLL last night: brilliant! Gate Agent described the new boarding process slowly and clearly 3 times. He went to the "1" queue and asked if there were any 1K's and for them to exit the line and stand in front of the gate. There were about 5 of us there. 1 GS, 4 1K's. I was 3rd to board.

Boarding was civil, organized, and not rushed. A great experience (and great employee)! There weren't any disabled or families with 2yo's, admittedly.

(Alas, on board, I was overlooked for a PDB and couldn't be bothered asking for one).
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:19 am

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by mozilla
And please, let's all stop pretending how valuable we are to UA, it sounds very much DYKWIA. Every customer is valuable and every customer deserves a consistently good level of service that is appropriate for the class of service he is booked in.
or she.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz
removal of GF
You mean removal of non-rev class? I have no absolutely zero doubt that this was not even a close call based on the numbers - specifically, the revenue per square foot of real estate the GF cabins were generating.

We can debate whether UA killed the product by a thousand cuts, but the fact is those seats were not selling, and were going largely to awards and non-revs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.