Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:55 am

I got an email 2 weeks ago from United which explained this............. except........ it also added boarding by Window seat and middle seat........... I guess they dropped that part of the change?
The issue I would see with this method is the fight for bin space means all WINDOW seat passengers get first dibs at the bins.
United® will be introducing a new boarding method at select gates at Chicago (ORD). Our customers have told us they want a better experience when boarding, so we’re working to improve the process.
Here are some of the changes you may see if your gate is demonstrating a new process:
■ No need to line up before your group is called: Simplified lanes with new signs will allow you to relax at the gate or within the airport longer.
More efficient boarding: Following priority boarding groups, we’ll board customers sitting in window seats first and then middle and aisle seats.
■ Less crowding: Fewer lines will create more space and easier access to the boarding door for customers exiting the plane from the previous flight and during pre-boarding.
■ Improved digital displays: Monitors around the gate will display clear and relevant information about boarding and your flight.

Last edited by oyouno; Sep 19, 2018 at 9:15 am
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by goodeats21
The idea of a "pause" between groups is great, but not consistent with the directive to Gate Agents to get the flight boarded and pushed ASAP. Incentives are not aligned to encourage paced boarding....

Not that I think paced boarding would be any slower, but perception seems to be rushing the boarding process is better for push times.
A pause pretty much has to happen for the disabled unless you want people playing frogger around wheelchairs. How it goes after that is another question. Previously, gate agents were shockingly good about the pause between military, families, GS. I’d say they did it 80% of the time. (Which was always inconsistent with the display overhead showing all groups as boarding.)

Honestly, I just don’t think it matters anymore. Nothin’ like elites and strollers pushing and shoving forward against each other!
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:03 am

Programs: United GS, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds

A pause pretty much has to happen for the disabled unless you want people playing frogger around wheelchairs. How it goes after that is another question. Previously, gate agents were shockingly good about the pause between military, families, GS. I’d say they did it 80% of the time. (Which was always inconsistent with the display overhead showing all groups as boarding.)

Honestly, I just don’t think it matters anymore. Nothin’ like elites and strollers pushing and shoving forward against each other!
yes in fact we had to wait outside the jet bridge door for two wheel chairs to come back up before they would let us scan and board. Was a strange one. We closed the door 20 mins early on a 738 - granted only about half full and first had 4 empty seats.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:04 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
And so it is: 'pre-board' is simply group 0 - but without a queue. Then Group 1. Then Group 2.

No one should be surprised that UA has found a way to take a bad situation and make it worse...

Hey, why not do Throwback 90s! Board by row from back to front!!!!
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Good or bad, I cannot wait to experience this.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by kokonutz
And so it is: 'pre-board' is simply group 0 - but without a queue. Then Group 1. Then Group 2.

No one should be surprised that UA has found a way to take a bad situation and make it worse...
And with all this “testing” that went on for the last year, not once, in any airport I am aware of, was the process that was rolled out live systemwide yesterday actually tested. You just have to wonder how stuff like this happens.

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Hey, why not do Throwback 90s! Board by row from back to front!!!!
Amen.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: UA GS 1MM, CM PP
Originally Posted by TexasAggie02
Flew out of Boston this morning - automated announcement has been updated but the pre-boarding announcement has no pauses so as expected there was a mad rush to the gate.
Originally Posted by LordHamster
This is actually worse than I expected and exactly what I was afraid of.

I expected the odd GA to mess up with gradual improvement over the course of the year. When they enshrine the incorrect method into an automated announcement, this will be an absolute cluster.
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
I don’t have a good feeling about how this is all going to turn out.
This all sounds just delightful, United.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: UA GS 3Million, Marriott/SPG LIFETIME Platinum - current Titanium, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
Until UA deals with the carry-on scammers, there is no system which works well.
Exactly. On UA71 from AMS-EWR this weekend - two 1Ks in front of me with three full size carryons a piece (I’m not talking a briefcase or computer backpack - I’m talking a full-size Longchamps bag). One of them even had the audacity to complain at me when he had to move back to the third (3rd!) overhead been he had filled.

Who lets these people on the plane?
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: UA GS 3Million, Marriott/SPG LIFETIME Platinum - current Titanium, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by mozilla
Are people who choose to travel on full unrestricted F fares one or two times a year less valuable than 1K, even though they cost UA nothing in status perks?.
Uh, yes.

First off, United has very little full F to anywhere but Asia. Secondly, most people who pay for F or P (now) are remarkably airline agnostic - they tend to need to get from A to B and are willing to pay for the fastest route between them.

I would opine that non-status flyers in full-fare F (on United) are about as rare as upgrades from Europe on a Friday.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:32 am

Programs: United GS, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Flight from IAH today in the C gates - GA did make the announcement - albeit in the wrong order without any pauses except a 10 sec pause for 1ks at the end (disabled, kids, military, GS, 1K) and everyone was already pre boarding before the announcement so only a few 1ks skipped through the BG1 line to join me at the end of the cattle call.

Hopefully they will work it out.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I pay for a premium experience. I don't want to stand around in line.
This, right here, made me laugh.

"Premium experience" might be applicable to the PS routes, but certainly not to any others.
But that is not what I am paying for when I buy F. I am strictly buying a more comfortable seat. I believe that I am a pretty typical business flyer, and it doesn't bother me to fly in Y on the short routes, but I will almost always buy F on transcons if I can't use an RPU.

I never eat any of their substandard F food, I never drink any of their liquor, and I don't really care when I board. I just want a place for my rollaboard (my backpack always goes under the seat in deference to my fellow travelers). In my over 2 million miles of flying, I have never encountered a situation where I couldn't have my rollaboard close by.

Last edited by zombietooth; Sep 19, 2018 at 9:03 am
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by TexasAggie02
Flight from IAH today in the C gates - GA did make the announcement - albeit in the wrong order without any pauses except a 10 sec pause for 1ks at the end (disabled, kids, military, GS, 1K) and everyone was already pre boarding before the announcement so only a few 1ks skipped through the BG1 line to join me at the end of the cattle call.

Hopefully they will work it out.
You do wonder how hard it can possibly be to work this out (for better or for worse, old system or new).
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by canadiancow
However, lots of people just grab the first bin they can when they walk on.
They've been trained by FA announcements that space in the rear is full and to take any available overhead space.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by zombietooth
But that is not what I am paying for when I buy F. I am strictly buying a more comfortable seat.
Absolutely agree. At the end of the day domestic F is all about the extra space. (Though I do appreciate decent food and a steady flow of water.)

Originally Posted by glbltvlr
They've been trained by FA announcements that space in the rear is full and to take any available overhead space.
That's being very kind to the passengers. IME people who snag first available overhead space are doing so for their own convenience at the expense of others who are actually sitting near that space. It's this kind of selfish, inconsiderate behavior which makes air travel increasingly unpleasant.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
You do wonder how hard it can possibly be to work this out (for better or for worse, old system or new).
Currently at LGA and watched four gates board the new process - worked MUCH better than I thought and really did cut down on gate crowding... they were also asking if people haven’t travelled in a while to feel free to come up and ask questions - was impressive....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.