Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by riphamilton
very pleased that golds are no longer mixed in with credit card holders.
I suspect that the majority of Premier Gold Elite® members also hold a credit card.

Originally Posted by LAXOGG
Will GS board before families traveling with children 2 and under? A big ^ if this is the case.
But when does the disabled active military GS® member traveling with a child under two board?

Originally Posted by drewguy
Well, it's relatively easy to see if there are any bags in the FC bins before anyone from FC boards. If there are, the FA removes them and gate checks them (with perhaps an ask of the economy cabin first).
Often those bags belong to crew members. But ^ anyhow!

Originally Posted by therossinator
I think one of the biggest (and understated) wins with this new process is the standardization of pre-boarding military members whether they're in uniform of not. We could split hairs all day about first or business class vs GS or 1K, "devaluation" and such, when in reality there will be more than enough overhead bin space and "tangible benefits" for everyone who is boarding in the blue lane. I think it's more notable to pull service-members not in uniform from the throws of groups 3, 4, and 5. This is the move that I really applaud, United; thank you.
But where will it stop? I've never fully understood the military pre-board. Why not offer the same "benefit" to police, firefighters, and ambulance drivers? And why only "active duty" military? Do we no longer respect our veterans?

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
It all keeps circling back to overhead space.....
In my observations, many people travel with too much stuff. (donning asbestos suit now)
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by FullFare
...I've already phoned in to UA about this. I'm in control of my company's worldwide travel to a significant extent (we allow F paid travel for worthy events) and have already told UA that we would like to be heard about this issue.
Well, I guess United has at least one customer company that makes travel decisions based on boarding process (and a bin problem that is almost non-existent for BG1 customers). So this new process is going to reduce bin space for your F passengers?

“Worthy events”? My company uses travel time as coach vs front cabin. U.S. domestic is usually coach or U.S. to Europe/Africa/AsIa/etc in front cabins. Airline is not chosen for boarding process. no need for some arbitrary “this is a worthy event”. So you send people on the same route in different classes based on some arbitrary “this trip is special but this one isn’t”?

I can guarantee the largest integrated oil company in the world won’t be complaining about the boarding process to UA. It’s trivial and not even worth the time thinking about it. If it wasn’t trivial and TLIOCITW whined, UA might reconsider, but if it’s just a few companies who think boarding process is of such paramount importance, you’re just tilting at windmills.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Sep 18, 2018 at 10:22 pm
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wonder what is next. Make 1Ks and Golds harder to achieve?
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA ConciergeKey | UA Plat | UA 2M Miler | Marriott Plat | Hilton Gold | Hyatt Globalist
I flew from SNA to DEN today. I approached the gate before the flight and asked the agent if they'd be using a new boarding process. She was very nice, took out an official memo and showed it to me, explaining that everyone systemwide would use the process starting today, Sept 18th. She laughed and said, "it's going to be a fun few weeks training you guys".

She suggested that since I was a 1K, that I stand near the side of the gate and wait to be called, after families with small children. Since it was a Tuesday and somewhat light for FFers, I waited with a group of a few others. On a Monday morning, the group would probably be five times as large.

When they started pre-boarding, 3 GS boarded, some folks who needed extra time, then a family, then when they called 1K, 5 other 1K's leaped forward in front of me as I casually walked to pre board. Two were rude and cut in front of the other three 1K's and it was a rush to the scanner. This process is going to take some time to work out the kinks. I wish my fellow 1K's would relax and board calmly.

This also happened to be my flight where I reached 2M lifetime UA miles. I didn't know what to expect, if anything. Luckily my upgrade cleared, the FC cabin service was great. When we started preparing for landing, the FA approached me, asked me my name and said, "I don't know if you realize it, but with this flight, you've flown 2M miles with us, that's crazy." I guess with UA that's what you get for 2M lifetime miles, oh well, at least they remembered.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mh3265a
I'm stunned by some of the comments on this forum. I don't see UA aggrieving their paid FC people because MOST of them will be in the pre-boarding group. Not all, but many are GS/1K. They are trying to value their most frequent fliers. What's wrong with that? I'd argue that with FC being so cheap now that many who pay for FC either buy a cheapish TOD or aren't that loyal. This really doesn't change things too much. I love how people think the end of the world is occurring because of this change.
As yes. FIrst of all, it's a non-issue, because F pax are all 1K.

Second, the ones that are not 1K are on $69 fares.

Great logic.

Originally Posted by mh3265a
Sorry I don't see the devaluation. Folks forget that before the merger in pmUA GS and 1Ks got to pre-board. So some might argue, as I would, that a benefit is being brought back. Will someone really not buy United First because they have to board with group 1 which is what they've always had to do? I don't think so. They'll buy it one way or the other because they want a better seat and service.
The issue is much less that 1K now boards first and much more that *G can now board first.

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Posts like this keep ignoring the fact that a passenger on a $8,000 F or C ticket on a domestic connection will potentially be boarding not just after 1ks and GS who pre-board, but also behind potentially 100 MORE Golds at an ORD or SFO who are now also in Group 1.
This is what people don't seem to understand.

I pay for a premium experience. I don't want to stand around in line.

When I have sufficient baggage to need bin space, I could leave the UC right at or before boarding time, get to the gate right when the group 1 lane is getting close to empty, and board. Previously, that meant I boarded (at the latest) after 1K, Platinum, and F. Now it means I either have to get there earlier enough to secure a place in line, standing around, or I also have to wait until *G has boarded.

Buying F used to ensure I could get bin space without camping out in line. That perk is gone.

And I'm surprised at the people who say they've never been forced to gate-check in F. I fly UA much less than most people in this thread, and yet I was once turned away on ORD-SFO at the aircraft door because there was absolutely no room left for bags, and I'd have to check mine. I walked back up to the podium, told them I was not going to check my bag, and to offload me and move me to the next flight (which I knew was about an hour later). This was after a mechanical delay on my inbound caused me to arrive halfway through group 5 boarding, so not the same scenario as I describe above, but they can certainly run out of bin space for F pax on narrow-bodies. And yes, I had reasons to not separate from that bag, beyond the normal risk of damage, loss, delay, or waiting 45 minutes at the other end.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:26 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by LordHamster
Any flight from ORD to MCO will end up with EVERYONE on the plane pre-boarding as they are either disabled, have kids or are a GS/1K. Group 1 will consist of exactly 1 person.
Last month I flew SFO-IAD-SFO both on 777-200. At both airports there were around 8-12 GS. In SFO I walk around the lines by walking through an adjacent empty gate to our gate for pre-boarding. At IAD several of us were cutoff by the long and winding BG1 line so it was not possible to move to closer to the gate, so we boarded a the end of BG1.

Now with 1K joining the pre-boarding, the elite population eligible for preboarding will probably be x 5 (ratio of GS:1K ~ 1:4), it will be interesting to see 40 GS/1Ks trying to move closer to the gate. Joined by some infrequent flyers who wonder why this large group of passengers are congregated near the gate entrance. The situation will be especially challenging on TPAC flights out of SFO where many foreign tourists stay close to the gate regardless.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by canadiancow
Buying F used to ensure I could get bin space without camping out in line. That perk is gone.

And I'm surprised at the people who say they've never been forced to gate-check in F...
Almost laughable assertion to imply F passengers routinely (or frequently) will have to check carry-ons. Exactly how does the new boarding process affect the bin space of F passengers?

Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:48 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH

Almost laughable assertion to imply F passengers routinely (or frequently) will have to check carry-ons. Exactly how does the new boarding process affect the bin space of F passengers?

The specific sentence you quoted doesn't say anything about the new boarding process affecting it. It disputed a claim that F pax never have to gate-check.

However, lots of people just grab the first bin they can when they walk on. If your bag's in front of you, deplaning is easy. If it's behind you, you're going to be off last. As such, lots of people, especially those who are all going to be in E+, where the overheads quickly fill, will slowly start taking one row ahead of the curtain for bags. And then the F pax who boards will have to go back to the exit row to find space, which means they're going to be last off the plane.

Putting your bag more than a row or two behind you (i.e. far enough that you can't just say "excuse me, would you mind passing me my bag?" when everyone stands up) means waiting for everyone to deplane before you can grab it. When I'm running late and end up in row 1 with my bag over row 20 (on a 170), that's annoying, but the bins are small, and I was late. When the same thing happens on a 737 because 50 people are able to board before me (and yes, *G are now able to board before F if they camp the line), I'm not nearly as happy.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PanAmWT

Now with 1K joining the pre-boarding, the elite population eligible for preboarding will probably be x 5 (ratio of GS:1K ~ 1:4), it will be interesting to see 40 GS/1Ks trying to move closer to the gate. Joined by some infrequent flyers who wonder why this large group of passengers are congregated near the gate entrance.
The bean counters at UA would love on any given flight to see 40 GS/1K's - personal opinion, I doubt any flight ever had 40 GS/1K
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
The bean counters at UA would love on any given flight to see 40 GS/1K's - personal opinion, I doubt any flight ever had 40 GS/1K
Well, I was #30 on the upgrade list as a 1K on an AUS/SFO flight earlier this year. It's not the least bit difficult for me to believe that there are 40 GS/1Ks on some flights.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:11 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsloan
Well, I was #30 on the upgrade list as a 1K on an AUS/SFO flight earlier this year. It's not the least bit difficult for me to believe that there are 40 GS/1Ks on some flights.
You would still be 25% off -

But, if there are that many GS/1K - all the more reason to make the 1K's happy with pre-boarding - The needs of the few (First Class not 1K or GS) do not outweigh the needs of the many (us 1K's)
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

...The needs of the few (First Class not 1K or GS) do not outweigh the needs of the many (us 1K's)
Live long and prosper preboard
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:20 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
You'd be surprised.

On recent LAX-SIN I saw the FAs' map for the forward J cabin and over half the pax were marked as 1K. And that's ex-LAX, rather than SFO.

Heck, I've been on SAN-SFO with 15-20 combined GS/1K. That's on an airbus or 737.
You would still be 25% off
UA only flies narrowbodies AUS-SFO. Extrapolate 30 1K/GS on a 739 to a full 77W or 789, and you've easily got over 50.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One big problem with UA's boarding queues is that they actually disrupt concourse traffic. People don't bend the lines and a lot of the times, they end up cutting concourse traffic. They really need to try to manage it better as the problem would not go away with the new process...
Old Sep 18, 2018, 11:26 pm

Programs: UA GS
You would still be 25% off -

But, if there are that many GS/1K - all the more reason to make the 1K's happy with pre-boarding - The needs of the few (First Class not 1K or GS) do not outweigh the needs of the many (us 1K's)
On my weekly trips EWR-DEL two years ago, we routinely had 50+ GS/1K on board.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.