Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They seemed to be doing it EWR-LAX on sunday and it didn't seem to go badly. I was surprised that there didn't seem to be a mass of group 3/4/5 people hovering around the edges of the two lines.

Boarding earlier in the day at TXL they just called each group one by one to the buses (and individually got the people needing assistance that they'd identified earlier - no signs or anything. There were group 3 people basically standing and blocking the narrow space to get to the bus walkway all through groups 1 & 2.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by Kacee
Absolutely agree. At the end of the day domestic F is all about the extra space. (Though I do appreciate decent food and a steady flow of water.)
I almost always get them to bring me something from the back, snack-wise, instead of a meal. Usually, I go for the Haribo Gold-Bears.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: UA Global Services 1MM,, AA Exec Plat. Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
On heavy elite flights, you’ll see 30 GS/1K hovering next to the Group 1 lane.

I perceive this as being a quasi GS devaluation. The benefit of GS pre boarding was the convenience of boarding seamlessly to the side of group 1. If there are now suddenly several 1K’s waiting too, it’s gong to be harder to pre board without major congestion.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: UA 1K 3 Million/ex-many year GS, AA PLT/2 Mil, AS MVPG, HH Dia, Starwood Life Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by chrisl137
They seemed to be doing it EWR-LAX on sunday and it didn't seem to go badly. I was surprised that there didn't seem to be a mass of group 3/4/5 people hovering around the edges of the two lines.
I've pointed out for years in these discussions that what most people miss is the psychology of the system. If you create physical lines with signs that say "group 3 here" then people will get in those lines very early and once a few people have done that others feel that they had better join the group or be left to the end. Those extra line up areas basically cry out "please crowd up here". Getting rid of the extra lines really is the key. With no designated spot to line up many fewer people will crowd to the gate because they don't know where to actually go crowd. The issue with UA (since the PM systems were replaced) has never been the number of groups - it has been the number of designated lines. With 2 lines (now and in PMUA days) you have one bypass line (no one lines up there except BG1 at the start) and one real line (where everyone else lines up but it makes no sense to line up when others have to go in front of you). Net is that you get less lining up. This actually worked pretty well in the PMUA days and ultimately (once you retrain all the BG3+ folks) it will likely work pretty well now. The mistake I do think UA is making with the new system is not creating a BG0 with GS/1K (and yes probably F) in it and starting that in the green line and BG1 in the blue line. Preboarding requires folks to make their way around the line structure which depending upon the gate can be awkward and there are probably enough GS/1K to sometimes make that troublesome. And truthfully it would make no difference at all except for ego to mix GS/1K/F into a single group domestically. There aren't enough of these folks in total to create legitimate baggage storage issues. Plus it would once and for all end the 3 second window for preboarding that some GAs seem to use that gives no one a chance to do anything.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 9:56 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kacee
You'd be surprised.

On recent LAX-SIN I saw the FAs' map for the forward J cabin and over half the pax were marked as 1K. And that's ex-LAX, rather than SFO.
...with the other half of the J cabin being non-revs, right?

Some of those 1K's may have been SFO-based, who flew down to LA to increase their upgrade chances to SIN.

I'm thankful that I won't be flying during the first few days of this. I should have enough Flyertalk data by the time I board my next flight (on the 28th) to determine whether or not I should join the pre-boarding scrum on the sidelines, or queue up in the first boarding lane.

Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by pdx1M
...There aren't enough of these folks in total to create legitimate baggage storage issues...
Yeah. The bag issue w/ the new procedure is a manufactured "problem". I'll still be boarding at end of BG1 if I'm in F or Y with a carry-on.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by SS255
...with the other half of the J cabin being non-revs, right?
Yes, exactly

This was a flight where the inventory invited GPU expenditure.
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Yeah. The bag issue w/ the new procedure is a manufactured "problem".
Yes it's a blow to ego dressed up as something else.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
It seems this whole thing is just a compression of elites and premium passengers into BG0 and BG1. It kind of defeats the purpose of having boarding groups in the first place, and the effect is worst on the largest mainline flights when you really need a process that feeds people onto the plane in a steady fashion. I have an SFO-IAD flight later this week, followed by SFO-EWR and SFO-ORD the week after (no wonder I never get CPUed, do I ever fly non hub-hub?!), I'm going to make sure to bring the popcorn for the BOARDING THROWDOWN. Also, making sure I'm in a non-bulkhead for each flight (this is kind of sad, I love the bulkhead, but I'm not trusting enough to stow my backpack w/ laptop anywhere I can't see people messing around in the bin)
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oyouno
I got an email 2 weeks ago from United which explained this............. except........ it also added boarding by Window seat and middle seat........... I guess they dropped that part of the change?
The issue I would see with this method is the fight for bin space means all WINDOW seat passengers get first dibs at the bins.
No, they didn't drop that part of the change, and it's not new. For the most part, window seat passengers have gotten group 3 for years. (Prior to BE, it was group 3 windows, group 4 middles, group 5 aisles).
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:43 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
An interesting issue- I have OZ award ticket in biz where unable to change FF# to UA. Will be Zone 1 on domestic flight but will not show 1K. Called UA and they are unable to change FF#. Will use my UA MP card and see if they look at me odd/throw my out of the pre-board.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 10:50 am
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

I spoke with the GS manager at ORD on Tuesday and mentioned the concerns that are posted here. He agreed that it will come down to training whereby the agents are supposed to pause between the groups instead of bunching them all together (which we all have witnessed). I asked him to go to some gates and witness what happens and he agreed to do so. (I'll get a report next week when I see him.)

He also said that he has daily meetings with the supervisors who are in charge of various gate sections of the terminal (e.g. C-20-32) and will alert them to the issues and ensure the agents do what they are supposed to.

I will call GS customer service each and every time that the procedure is not followed. They "gots to know" and do something about it. The more complaints, the more they will act.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:08 am

I've taken three flights since the 18th, flying from YUL, EWR and IAH. The GA's all followed the official protocol, calling out the pre-board groups one by one. In both YUL and IAH, I was the only 1K. In EWR, on a 767 wide body flight to IAH, there were only four, which shocked me.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flyme2
I've taken three flights since the 18th, flying from YUL, EWR and IAH. The GA's all followed the official protocol, calling out the pre-board groups one by one. In both YUL and IAH, I was the only 1K. In EWR, on a 767 wide body flight to IAH, there were only four, which shocked me.
A lot of people aren't interested in pre-boarding - or even milling around BG1 - so there were probably more 1K's. I'm almost always one of the last to board. Personally, I'd rather wait in the UC or Polaris lounge than sitting around on the plane waiting for everyone to board.

I do like the perk though if I were to choose to use it - I do think 1K's are far more valuable to UA than non-1K's sitting in FC/Biz. I'm sure the kinks will get worked on the Pre-board announcements so GS can board first consistently if that is what they want to do. With change, it is rarely perfect immediately.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by flyme2
Well, you can say you were the only 1K (or one of 4) who pre-boarded, not that there were only one (or 4) 1K on each of the flights. Some, like me, don’t necessarily board at a certain time as if it is a requirement to do so. I often arrive (by choice) after boarding is well under way.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I pay for a premium experience. I don't want to stand around in line.
But in the original boarding process you already had to stand around in a long line. Unless you're coming on a small plane or from a small outstation, BG1 is already 50+ people and you'll be at the end of it if you're late to the gate.

Originally Posted by canadiancow
And I'm surprised at the people who say they've never been forced to gate-check in F. I fly UA much less than most people in this thread, and yet I was once turned away on ORD-SFO at the aircraft door because there was absolutely no room left for bags, and I'd have to check mine. I walked back up to the podium, told them I was not going to check my bag, and to offload me and move me to the next flight (which I knew was about an hour later). This was after a mechanical delay on my inbound caused me to arrive halfway through group 5 boarding, so not the same scenario as I describe above, but they can certainly run out of bin space for F pax on narrow-bodies. And yes, I had reasons to not separate from that bag, beyond the normal risk of damage, loss, delay, or waiting 45 minutes at the other end.
Admittedly I'm a little bit more pushy in that kind of a situation. I have never had to gate check in F, but I absolutely have the couple of times a year where I need to make an imploring face at the FA to make them do something about the problem. My bag has ridden in the coat closet or had a Y bag evicted for it, but never gate checked. I basically ignore anyone at the gate or in the jetway -- they assume I'm a no-status Y pax if I'm boarding late. On the other hand though, I absolutely do lice the G1 line whenever I show up to the gate in time, and I'm sure if I tried to board last every time my no-gate-check streak would quickly come to an end. I have seen other late-boarding F pax get their bags gate checked when the cabin legitimately runs out of space, often on an E75 or when two or three F pax decide they need to put their rollaboard, two handbags, and full airport shopping bag into the overhead

Bottom line though, I am skeptical that the change in BG1 inclusion will have a significant impact on how often your bag gets up. IME the blend of late-boarding F pax, some FAs who police the bins, and the fact that half the plane is boarding after you usually leads to some bin space.

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
The bean counters at UA would love on any given flight to see 40 GS/1K's - personal opinion, I doubt any flight ever had 40 GS/1K
I flew an EWR-SFO with 22 GS. Pretty sure there were at least 20 more 1Ks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.