Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I really just scanned the wiki here but am I correct in reading a 1K in coach will board before a paid F passenger? That doesn't happen at AA. As a frequent EXP in coach I know all too well. We are in group 2--EXP's that weren't upgraded. All F seat holders are in group 1 regardless of status (and CK's are called first).
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:30 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
I really just scanned the wiki here but am I correct in reading a 1K in coach will board before a paid F passenger?
Yes, correct (unless they are GS, 1K, disabled, active military, or traveling with a child under 2). That's part of the reason for all the discussion - because other airlines put F above certain statuses, as you've pointed out...
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mozilla
And please, let's all stop pretending how valuable we are to UA, it sounds very much DYKWIA. Every customer is valuable and every customer deserves a consistently good level of service that is appropriate for the class of service he is booked in.
I have no illusions about my own value to UA . . . they could lose me forever and no one in Willits Tower would even blink.

I'm simply responding to the ego-driven posts about how traumatically awful it is for "paid F" passengers to be forced to board behind mere elites. (And if you want to do a little psychological profiling, let's talk about people who constantly refer to themselves as "paid F" as if that's some sort of badge of honor. Please. These are airline tickets. Not Nobel Prizes.)
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
I really just scanned the wiki here but am I correct in reading a 1K in coach will board before a paid F passenger? That doesn't happen at AA. As a frequent EXP in coach I know all too well. We are in group 2--EXP's that weren't upgraded. All F seat holders are in group 1 regardless of status (and CK's are called first).
Yes that is the case. So on 1 side of the argument is that the occasional F passengers is not as valuable to UA as the 1K. Seems AA sees that differently. Who knows, but as I stated in another thread as a non-status passenger in F I get treated better than a lowly Platinum on UA in F. I've already been told in that thread "then go fly another airline" - which I will/have. I only choose UA if the schedule and price is the most convenient for me compared to another airline, and then I just remind myself that it is going to mean it won't be a very good experience - set low expectations and they may be met.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:36 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
If it truly bothers you that much, since I believe this is a deliberate attempt to provide an extra benefit to 1K's and doubt it will change - why wouldn't you just fly someone else if this is so important to you.

Often, people value different things - if this is so valuable, certainly there are other airlines that will let you pre-board ahead of the top elites.
For maybe the 20th time: it's not about UA providing an extra benefit to 1ks. You are all very, very important and VIPs and slavishly loyal. Good for UA on that. Good for 1ks. Hurrah for all of you!

What this IS about is DOWNGRADING paid premium by lumping them in with a large horde of mid-tier elites. It makes UA an noncompetitive outlier.

And I am changing my habits to AA and Delta as a direct result of this, as they do let me board before mid-tier elites...unfortunately, however, I am already holding 2 UA FC tickets so am going to gripe about it - both here and directly to UA - until I am completely divorced from UA again.

Precisely. Expect to see more of me and folks like me who pay 2 to 3x more than coach for a premium ticket on AA in the near future.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by SF1K
Yes that is the case. So on 1 side of the argument is that the occasional F passengers is not as valuable to UA as the 1K. Seems AA sees that differently. Who knows, but as I stated in another thread as a non-status passenger in F I get treated better than a lowly Platinum on UA in F. I've already been told in that thread "then go fly another airline" - which I will/have. I only choose UA if the schedule and price is the most convenient for me compared to another airline, and then I just remind myself that it is going to mean it won't be a very good experience - set low expectations and they may be met.
I'd have to say if I was an F paying passenger I'd be pretty peeved. That being said I'm sure even in group 2 overhead space shouldn't be an issue (right?)
Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:14 am

That being said I'm sure even in group 2 overhead space shouldn't be an issue (right?)
Discussed very thoroughly upthread. Let's not start in on this again from scratch.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: NZ *E
Originally Posted by kokonutz
For maybe the 20th time: it's not about UA providing an extra benefit to 1ks. You are all very, very important and VIPs and slavishly loyal. Good for UA on that. Good for 1ks. Hurrah for all of you!

What this IS about is DOWNGRADING paid premium by lumping them in with a large horde of mid-tier elites. It makes UA an noncompetitive outlier.

And I am changing my habits to AA and Delta as a direct result of this, as they do let me board before mid-tier elites...unfortunately, however, I am already holding 2 UA FC tickets so am going to gripe about it - both here and directly to UA - until I am completely divorced from UA again.

Precisely. Expect to see more of me and folks like me who pay 2 to 3x more than coach for a premium ticket on AA in the near future.
Totally agree. Big downgrade for those flying paid First.

As a 1K equivalent on another carrier (AirNZ Gold Elite) who usually buys paid UA First, I wish Star Alliance would finally implement some sort of Platinum tier.

As it stands now, I'll get a better experience flying without status on American -- early boarding, able to preorder meals (unlike on UA where I pretty much get shafted every time).
Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
I have no illusions about my own value to UA . . . they could lose me forever and no one in Willits Tower would even blink.

I'm simply responding to the ego-driven posts about how traumatically awful it is for "paid F" passengers to be forced to board behind mere elites. (And if you want to do a little psychological profiling, let's talk about people who constantly refer to themselves as "paid F" as if that's some sort of badge of honor. Please. These are airline tickets. Not Nobel Prizes.)
Seems to UA is playing the short game when they should be playing the long game. If you treat customers who are occasional high spend F passengers like crap, they will most likely stay occasional. It’s almost as if UA doesnt want to recruit new HVCs when that should be their goal.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: UA GS, HH Diamond
More fun with United.

Just got on 3453 from PIT-EWR. Made sure I asked the SOLE person working the gate if 1Ks are pre-boarding, he replied 'yes'.

Boarding begins; persons needing extra time to board (5), active military (0), GS (0), Fam w/ children under 2 (0) and thennnnnnn…...right to BG1.

I say, 'What about 1Ks?!?!?!?!?!?', he says, 'You're in BG1'. I explain, along with 2 other 1Ks, that we now pre-board. He says, 'Let me see your pass'. I show him and he states, 'Its says BG1'. I reply that I know that what it says but the new policy that came out Tuesday says I get to pre-board. Other 1Ks say the same thing and he gets testy and says, 'I didn't know that and don't tell me how to do my job.'

I scan my BP anyway and get on the pain. (that last word wasn't misspelled)

#ILurvUUnited
Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by halls120
Seems to UA is playing the short game when they should be playing the long game. If you treat customers who are occasional high spend F passengers like crap, they will most likely stay occasional. It’s almost as if UA doesnt want to recruit new HVCs when that should be their goal.
On the contrary, this move could attract HVFs (whether they fly F or Y), because they know if they shift their loyalty to United they'll get to preboard.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd have to say if I was an F paying passenger I'd be pretty peeved. That being said I'm sure even in group 2 overhead space shouldn't be an issue (right?)
From what I can tell, the number of people ahead of group 2 hasn't really changed. The big changes are that 1K go with the GS now (BG0) and Gold are now BG1, and paid F seem to be knocked back one group. If you're in 2 as a silver or CC holder, the same number of people still board ahead of you and you still will have the same overhead availability. Instead of BG1 being 100 people, BG0 and BG1 will each be 50.

I rarely fly paid F (really just when I need a few PQM and don't have enough time left in the year) but agree that this seems to be a bit of a raw deal for paid F flyers, particularly given the number of 1K on a lot of routes. It would probably make sense to board F with BG0, or as BG0.5 ahead of the golds, as a lot of the GS and 1K will be in F anyway, and the small number of lower status paid F will be in the noise as far as numbers in BG0, but some will likely be peeved to be in BG1 watching hordes of other people go by before they can board.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by threeoh
On the contrary, this move could attract HVFs (whether they fly F or Y), because they know if they shift their loyalty to United they'll get to preboard.
Frequent Y flyers, maybe. Frequent paid F flyers, not a chance. or people like me, a 1MM loyal UA flyer for over 20 years. I’m not going to make 2 million miles, because I’m not going to work that long. Once I retire, and I spend my UA miles on C seats, all of my additional C leisure travel will be on airlines that value the fact that I’m willing and able to spend my money on a premium flight experience, and treat me accordingly. Like other *A carriers, who actually treat me better today than UA does.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
I think people are reading too much into this. UA is trying to reduce the 5 lines to 2, more like AA, which simply has 2 lines (Elite and non-Elite). CK pre-boards, then first group is J, followed by EXP, then PP/Plat, then Gold. While people line up only those in J tend to line up first. EXP may hang out near the beginning of the roped off area, so they can proceed once EXP is called.

My only complaint with AA is sometimes they don't allow enough time for EXP to board, many times they call EXP, the a few seconds later - the other elites. Also - I think EXP should be in Group 1 and board with J. If an EXP is not in J (which is usually the case these days), then there is no interference with loading the overhead.

Would be better if EXP boarded before J, then if in J they have priority over other J, and if in Y, they can be putting luggage in overhead while rest of J boards.

I think this is what UA is trying to do. An 1K in UA F gets priority over a non-1K in F, and 1K's not in F (in Y), aren't interfering with overhead load. I think this speeds up the process.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by chrisl137
From what I can tell, the number of people ahead of group 2 hasn't really changed. ...If you're in 2 as a silver or CC holder, the same number of people still board ahead of you and you still will have the same overhead availability. Instead of BG1 being 100 people, BG0 and BG1 will each be 50.
No, Gold used to be BG2 (with Silvers/CCs) and now is BG1. So Silvers at the end of the BG2 line have the same experience, but Silvers at the beginning of the BG2 line have a very different experience.

I think most people here would be happy if 1K/F/GS boarded together, then Gold/*G, then Silver/CC. I think people are more upset about Gold being comingled with F than they are with 1K boarding first (and even those upset at that would be ok with 1K boarding with F).

This seems like it would placate most people:

Preboard: GS, extra time
BG1: 1K, F, J
BG2: Plat, Gold, *G
BG3: Silvers, CC
BG 4-5: Y
BG 6: BE

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.