Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2018, 9:33 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by prometa
So, essentially a group 0 now? With anything larger than the small airbusses, where will these people stand? Groups 1 and 2 already crowd the podium right before boarding.
Yeah, sorry UA, that plane has already departed. We've conditioned everyone to rush on to the plane for OH space, and there's no going back now.
So, more groups?
I thought it used to be group 3 was window, 4 was middle, 5 was aisle. 5 is now BE. So, more groups? Plus, does BE still board last, or are they going to mix them in with other groups? If not, then I don't see how this is more efficient.

Overall, I'm pessimistic this new process will result in any improvements.

If I had my way, the changes I'd make would include:
  • For single-aisle flights where the L1 door is used for all boarding (i.e., where everyone turns right), F should be boarded last. PDB service makes boarding much worse, and how many times does each aisle F passenger get hit with a stray shoulder or bag anyway? Put an FA in the last row of F during Y boarding, with the OH bins in F closed, and the FA can just tell everyone 'nope, can't put your bag there', and bin space for F passengers will be fine. The efficiency improvements would probably allow PDB service at the end of boarding, and they'd have time to get service items after the safety demo.
  • GS pre-board, 1K and F group 1 (unless F boards last), Plat/Gold/Silver group 2, CC and Premier Access group 3, then whatever you want afterward. On some flights group 2 is so large it's silly. And the elitist in me wants CC holders to wait until after all elites have boarded (there, I said it). Generally, the 25 segments a year silver flyer boards more efficiently than the 4 segments a year CC holder anyway.
And as someone who pays for his first class seat and actually values my overhead bin space, I disagree. Yeah its going to go down really well when FC boards last and finds all the FC overhead bins poached by Coach passengers.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 10:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by seat38a
YES YES YES, FINALLY boarding first class / business class before Group 1.
hmm, I seem to remember an airline that boarded paid F and C alongside GS and 1K - what airline was that? Hmmm, pmUA, perhaps?
Pat89339 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by FlyngSvyr
Sorry, Platinum counts for something. Need to stay in BG1. The gap between Gold & 1k is 50,000 PQM. If there is nothing to shoot for in between, these mid level elites would look elsewhere after reaching Gold.
Really? UA fliers never had that level until the Continental merger. Most airlines survive well with out a 75k level.
Miggles and seat38a like this.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: UA 2MM
YES YES YES, FINALLY boarding first class / business class before Group 1.
BIG +1 on this. While it is not a big issue for me, pretty much every flight I see some older couple flying F who are confused and upset that they are in a line behind 50+ people to board a narrow body jet.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home

Really? UA fliers never had that level until the Continental merger. Most airlines survive well with out a 75k level.
Well UA has it now & BG1 is probably the perk I value most from Platinum status. I fly over 100K PQM each year, but will never meet the PQD needed for 1K I am fortunate to get the credit card waiver and forgo some other more lucrative credit cards rewards program for my first 25K of credit spending each year.. So there is a "cost" associated with that loyalty.

Sorry if us lowly Plats are soiling the BG1 lines for a GS. Come to think of it, I never understand why a GS would complain about the size of any boarding line. They should wait "upfront" to the side and board when GS is called. Basically a GS doesn't have to wait in line due to their status!!!
Old Feb 10, 2018, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by blueman2
BIG +1 on this. While it is not a big issue for me, pretty much every flight I see some older couple flying F who are confused and upset that they are in a line behind 50+ people to board a narrow body jet.
Is removing Platinum from the first group really going to affect this? I had formed the impression there aren't that many Platinum status flyers, particularly not ones who fly in Y, which is what Boarding Group '1' will become. It will be interesting to find out.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by fumje
Is removing Platinum from the first group really going to affect this? I had formed the impression there aren't that many Platinum status flyers, particularly not ones who fly in Y, which is what Boarding Group '1' will become. It will be interesting to find out.
Great point. I missed that 1K would go with F. In my opinion, F should board first, before anyone else. Putting F behind Military, GS, families with children and 1K seems odd to me. I do not care, but have you not seen those older couples who fly F who are confused as to why they are in a line of 50+ people?
zeer0 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by blueman2
Great point. I missed that 1K would go with F. In my opinion, F should board first, before anyone else. Putting F behind Military, GS, families with children and 1K seems odd to me. I do not care, but have you not seen those older couples who fly F who are confused as to why they are in a line of 50+ people?
I have seen 'that couple', although I would say as often as not they seem confused by the fact that there is any line at all.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 12:58 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... YES YES YES, FINALLY boarding first class / business class before Group 1.
with GS and 1Ks also ahead of BG1, all you are dropping is Plats, so would not expect that much difference. It will just sound special.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 2:32 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Titanium, Mileage Plus Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
with GS and 1Ks also ahead of BG1, all you are dropping is Plats, so would not expect that much difference. It will just sound special.
Right but theres got to be a higher percentage of Plats around than 1K or even GS. And assuming many of the 1K's got bumped into FC anyways thats got to be a big chunk removed from Group 0.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 2:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Right but theres got to be a higher percentage of Plats around than 1K or even GS. And assuming many of the 1K's got bumped into FC anyways thats got to be a big chunk removed from Group 0.
There are more Plats but 1Ks likely travel more frequently -- I doubt seperating Plat will reduce the group by 50% -- some reduction. Just a new BG 0.5. --- might make the premium cabin folks feel a tiny bit more special.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by diburning
The gates with the self boarding gates at BOS have the two lanes only. This is the only place where two lanes makes sense.
And the nice thing about these gates is that they beep at you and won't open if you try to board ahead of your group! Nice.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Just teleport everyone into their seats and their bags into the overhead bins. Have PDBs magically appear in your hand at will. Problem solved?
Old Feb 11, 2018, 4:39 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
I've now experienced the two-lane thing several times at LAX. It doesn't work well. The space for lining up is too small and congested, especially at the far end of T7 where there is not enough room for even two lanes, let alone five. 77B is particularly cramped.

(1) You arrive at the back of a huge line for Group 1. You discover that it's actually people in BG 3 and 4, waiting to get into the BG1 or 2 line. You have to fight your way through to the actual BG1 people.

(2) Pre-boarding starts. When BG1 moves forward, they are held up on the jetbridge (in one case for more than 10 minutes) while people in wheelchairs are boarded. I still maintain that those people should be boarded last, when they can then take all the time they need. Allocate them special rows to make this easier. The difficulty in maneuvering empty wheelchairs back along the narrow jetbridge when the bridge is already full of BG1 pax should make this a no-brainer.

(3) On board surveys are being handed out on these flights. The replies they are getting are pretty fruity! People all around are laughing with each other about how useless this boarding process is.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 5:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by 1P
I've now experienced the two-lane thing several times at LAX. It doesn't work well. The space for lining up is too small and congested, especially at the far end of T7 where there is not enough room for even two lanes, let alone five. 77B is particularly cramped.

(1) You arrive at the back of a huge line for Group 1. You discover that it's actually people in BG 3 and 4, waiting to get into the BG1 or 2 line. You have to fight your way through to the actual BG1 people.

(2) Pre-boarding starts. When BG1 moves forward, they are held up on the jetbridge (in one case for more than 10 minutes) while people in wheelchairs are boarded. I still maintain that those people should be boarded last, when they can then take all the time they need. Allocate them special rows to make this easier. The difficulty in maneuvering empty wheelchairs back along the narrow jetbridge when the bridge is already full of BG1 pax should make this a no-brainer.

(3) On board surveys are being handed out on these flights. The replies they are getting are pretty fruity! People all around are laughing with each other about how useless this boarding process is.
UA continues to try to put a band aid on a gaping chest wound.

Before they started charging for bags, people brought less on to the plane. When you add to this, the increased seating capacity that wasn't matched by increased bin capacity, you have the perfect storm of today's boarding CF. Before the merger, I was NEVER a gate lice. I stayed in the RCC as long as I could. Now, even when I've bought paid domestic F, I'm near the front so that I am assured storage space for my carry on. The only time I'm not worried is when I'm on long haul business, because that's the only cabin that still has adequate overhead bin space.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.