Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2016, 4:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You can use the priority line. Don't cut in front of others in that line, though. :-:
Old Mar 13, 2016, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Pax in the front cabin on this route get no special boarding — same as if you were in the middle cabin or upstairs.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold
Thank you guys for the fast responses!
Old Mar 13, 2016, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by CRQTraveler
Hi everyone!

I'm flying on UA1570 tomorrow it's the 747 on SFO-ORD.

I'm in GlobalFirst but my connection doesn't get in to SFO until 755a and thats when boarding starts for the 747. By the time I trudge over from concourse E to gate 86 boarding will be well underway.

My question is will I have to get in line and wait behind all the business class pax or even eco pax, or because I'm in F do I get to bypass everyone?

Thanks in advance!
You don't have to wait in the economy line. But there will be a queue in the priority line and, no, you can't cut it. First, Business and various other elites will be in that line and they have the same priority as you.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 9:39 am

Extremely long lines for priority 1 boarding?

As a 3.5m mile flyer and a lifetime 1K I have been upset about the extremely long lines for boarding in the priority 1 lane. Oftentimes, it is the longest line for boarding of all lines. It seems that UA could board GS passengers and then board 1K passengers prior to general boarding for priority 1 boarding. This would only make sense and show some respect for the million milers.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 9:57 am

Programs: UA 1k, US Airways Silver, SPG PLT, Marriot Gold, Hertz PC
Disagree (as a 1k). Creating another line that you have to announce / pre-board won't fix the problem.

However you slice it someone will be unhappy. Personally I think credit cards should go to G3, and then more equitable distribution between G1 / G2.

That would also upset a lot of people though. It's a plane, lots of people getting on haha
Old Mar 15, 2016, 10:01 am

Programs: UA 2MM
garwel - Your first post on the UA FT forum, I notice.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 10:02 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
"Priority 1" basically is 1K. There are a few Platinums scattered in there, but you wouldn't see a drastic change by following the OP's suggestion.

And we certainly don't need to move those 3 Plats into the already ridiculously long Group 2.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 10:09 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by JBord
"Priority 1" basically is 1K. There are a few Platinums scattered in there, but you wouldn't see a drastic change by following the OP's suggestion.

And we certainly don't need to move those 3 Plats into the already ridiculously long Group 2.
And first/business class passengers who are not GS/1K.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garwel
As a 3.5m mile flyer and a lifetime 1K I have been upset about the extremely long lines for boarding in the priority 1 lane. Oftentimes, it is the longest line for boarding of all lines. It seems that UA could board GS passengers and then board 1K passengers prior to general boarding for priority 1 boarding. This would only make sense and show some respect for the million milers.
1) Million miler status is past history to UA. It means nothing relative to current status, so UA is never going to take that into account (in itself) for boarding priority or upgrades, etc. If you fail to qualify on a yearly basis, it gives you the status (Gold, whatever) that counts. "respect for the million milers" - seriously???

2) People who have F tickets should board before anyone, if boarding was done correctly. Not sure why you think 1Ks rate so high - the requirements are not all that hard (especially with the current PQM award structure). F in group 1, and then GS and 1K in Group 2, if anything. Of course, parents waving babies get to board ahead of everyone...

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Mar 15, 2016 at 10:28 am
Old Mar 15, 2016, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by garwel
1) It's all about the current status, not about million miler. And a 1MM only gets Gold and is relegated to Group 2.

2) I've generally found that Group 1, while long, pales in comparison to Group 2. But that's what happens when you lump the 2 largest status groups (Silver and Gold) and credit card holders together. But it also depends on the routes and times you fly. If it's ORD-LGA or IAH-SFO during peak business travel times, you're just going to get a lot of GS, 1K, and Plat on your flight.

3) You're just now noticing this? FTers have been complaining about this (and, well, pretty much everything else) for years!
Old Mar 17, 2016, 4:36 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
Mods, isn't it time to add the families with children under 2 (or 2 and under, depending on the GA) to the preboarding group in the wiki?

(And for the sake of the mods - there's a separate thread for discussing pros and cons of early boarding for the 2-and-unders.)
Old Mar 17, 2016, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lskohn
Mods, isn't it time to add the families with children under 2 (or 2 and under, depending on the GA) to the preboarding group in the wiki?

(And for the sake of the mods - there's a separate thread for discussing pros and cons of early boarding for the 2-and-unders.)
Wikis are community projects - you can edit (not just moderators - they have plenty to do/monitor already).
Old Mar 20, 2016, 1:45 pm

Programs: Continental OnePass
First Class passengers held back at boarding, boarded after group 3.

Not sure if there was an appropriate thread to post this to so feel free to move if necessary.

UA 1891 Today, boarding in ORD they announce that they are still catering the plane and thus F is currently inaccessible. They board all the non-F passengers from group 1, and groups 2 and 3 before what seemed like a supervisor came over and told them to board F even though they were still loading the catering.

In the end the flight was great and the FA were very nice, but the boarding was a mess.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Nothing wrong with these one-off approaches, if you ask me due to unforeseen circumstances.

Though unless you were boarding a p.s. or widebody, all pax have to walk through F to get to their seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.