Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Source: United Boarding Process

New changes (effective 18 Sept 2018)

You will see some new boarding lane signs in the gate area that will guide you through the boarding process. There will now be two lanes that are color coded : to begin, Group 1 will board through the blue lane and Group 2 will board through the green lane. The remaining Groups 3-5 will then board through the green lane when called, and Groups 1 and 2 can continue to board through the blue lane .

We encourage you to make yourself comfortable while you wait for your group to be called, and we’ll let you know when we’re ready for you to board. Late arriving customers in Groups 1 and 2 are welcome to continue boarding through the blue lane at any time.

Boarding groups

Pre-boarding

1. Unaccompanied minors
  2. Customers with disabilities
  3. Active members of the military
  4. United Global Services® members
  5. Families traveling with children age 2 and younger
  6. Premier® 1K® members

Group 1

• Premier Platinum members
  • Premier Gold members
  • Star Alliance™ Gold members
  • Customers seated in premium cabins: United Polaris®, United First® and United Business®

Group 2

• Premier Silver members
  • Star Alliance Silver members
  • Customers who have purchased Premier Access® or Priority Boarding
  • United℠ Explorer, Club, Presidential Plus℠ and Awards Cardmembers

Groups 3 – 5

• Economy Plus®
  • United Economy®
  • Basic Economy*

* Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, except for Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There will also be updated boarding times:

757 & Widebody aircraft: 50 min prior to departure
737-800/900 & 737 MAX 40 min prior to departure
737-700 & A319/A320 35 min prior to departure
================================================== ==============================
Pre Sept 2018 process

Pre-Boarding
  • Unaccompanied minors
  • Customers with disabilities
  • Uniformed members of the U.S. military
  • Families traveling with children age two and younger
  • United Global Services® members
Premier Access Boarding
  • Group 1: Premier 1K, Premier Platinum, Business/Polaris Business, and First/Polaris First.
  • Group 2: Premier Gold, Star Gold, Premier Silver, Star Silver, MileagePlus Presidential Plus, Club, Explorer and Awards, purchased Premier Access

General boarding (Window Seats, then Middle Seats, then Aisle)
  • Group 3 - Window Seats
  • Group 4 - Middle & Aisle Seats (Aisle Seats on UA Express)
  • Group 5 - Basic Economy

Customers who have purchased a Basic Economy ticket will be in the last boarding group, with the exception of Premier members, Chase Cardmembers of qualifying cards and Star Alliance Gold members, who will still receive their priority boarding.

Note: If you’re traveling with a companion and one of you has a higher boarding status, you both may board with the earlier group.

Note: Self Boarding Gates are being tested at the following gates...
  • IAH - Gate C25/C26 - See Post 2960, Includes YouTube video from CO777DAL
  • IAH - Gate E4 - Old test from pmCO days, See Thread Here
  • BOS - Self boarding gates are now back in *LIMITED* use at least at gates B25 and B26

sUA Boarding Times by Aircraft (AFA)

Previous thread: United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [Revised, May 2013]
Print Wikipost

United's Current Boarding Process (with Wiki) [2016-forward]{Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2016, 5:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by physioprof
I've never seen a gate where one can't make one's way to the GA scanning BPs without elbowing one's way through the line.
I've seen many boarding situations where you wouldn't be able to do it without pushing through the line.
Old Jul 1, 2016, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by Kacee
I've seen many boarding situations where you wouldn't be able to do it without pushing through the line.
Of there is no other space line 5 is always the easiest way
Old Jul 1, 2016, 7:02 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by Plane-is-home
Of there is no other space line 5 is always the easiest way
yup. Hang out in 5 and move ahead when they. Call GS. No one is inconvenienced
Old Jul 1, 2016, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by manstein58
yup. Hang out in 5 and move ahead when they. Call GS. No one is inconvenienced
I wouldn't exactly call this people being inconvenienced when they line up when they are not supposed to and also have no common sense in where to properly line up. (I mean people lining up in general by the way)
Old Jul 11, 2016, 3:15 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Interesting. Gates B25 and B26 at BOS still uses the self boarding gates. I'm not sure if they took them out and put them back in, or if they never removed them. I'm watching them board with those gates right now as I'm typing this. They didn't use the gates for everyone though, just Premier Access/Zone 1. I'm not sure if this is a one-off thing.

Last edited by diburning; Jul 11, 2016 at 3:22 am
Old Jul 17, 2016, 12:41 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
I have to say boarding at KSA, PNI & TKK were incredible. =)
Old Aug 14, 2016, 8:43 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver - IHG Spire AMB - Hilton Gold - Choice Hotels Platinum - Hertz Gold FiveStar
Old is the new Priority Boarding group?

Since when does elderly (over 80 or so) with otherwise no problem walking or boarding translate into "Customers with Disabilities"? Just been noticing this throughout flights out of EWR, ORD, IAH.

If you have a cane, walker or of course in a wheelchair etc I'm cool with that, fits the category, but if you're old yet capable whats the disability? Never seen any denied or questioned. Something to look forward to I guess in 45 years.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 9:13 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Originally Posted by Tony300S
Since when does elderly (over 80 or so) with otherwise no problem walking or boarding translate into "Customers with Disabilities"? Just been noticing this throughout flights out of EWR, ORD, IAH.

If you have a cane, walker or of course in a wheelchair etc I'm cool with that, fits the category, but if you're old yet capable whats the disability? Never seen any denied or questioned. Something to look forward to I guess in 45 years.
Not all disabilities are spotted with the human eye and require assistive devices. Cut the older folks some slack. My mom had back surgery and suffers extreme pain in her legs but walks without an aid. An extra minute before everyone pushes her along or makes her stand in the jet bridge due to crowding can go a long way toward reducing discomfort.

You may find yourself injured one day and suddenly appreciate the gesture, too.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 9:58 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
And how many times has this actually meaningfully increased the time you had to spend in line?

This should go into the category of least important things to complain about. They're 80 years old!?!!

Do you ask for doctor notes before you'll move for the elderly or pregnant on a bus or train, too?
Old Aug 14, 2016, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp

Not all disabilities are obvious.

My mom has severe macular degeneration, a common age-related eye disease which progresses to blindness. Because she has some peripheral vision she looks like she can see fine. And while she can see enough to walk, she is extra careful on unfamiliar, uneven surfaces. Like jet bridges.

While I get there are old folks who game the system as well as their young counterparts, for the most part I think they deserve our understanding and patience in this regard.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 4:54 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Moderator note:

While the boarding of persons with disabilities is a part of United's boarding process, the discussion as to what constitutes a disability is not as that is up to the passenger(s) who have/claim to have a disability and the gate agent(s) to decide. If you would like to discuss traveling with disabilities, there is an entire forum devoted to disability travel here

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/disability-travel-224/

goalie
UA Forum Co-Moderator
Old Aug 14, 2016, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
2 crappy boarding experiences last week.

1st was a crew showing up late for the flight, so the Gate Agent took it upon themselves to "quick board"...which meant calling all pre-board groups plus groups 1&2, all at the same time.
News Flash - that doesn't decrease boarding time. It just creates a log jam and causes confusion.

2nd was showing up at the gate 10 minutes prior to boarding time and finding them already on group 3. No weather or other obvious issues. So we all got to sit on the plane extra long while the last passengers were boarded at regular close-out time. And no bin space above my area.

Oh, and we actually pushed late - from what I could tell waiting on ramp staff to finish bags.
Old Aug 14, 2016, 6:52 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
I had a gate agent in ORD a couple weeks ago invite "our Global Services and 1K Premier Customers" to pre-board followed by those with disabilities, then Group 1.

I've also noticed an increasing number of gate agents who are "speeding through" the "Currently Boarding" boarding groups as displayed on the GIDS, e.g. they'll be calling for preboards, and the GIDS is displaying boarding groups 1-4 or 1-5 (in one case "FINAL BOARDING") before they've even gotten to GS -- which then creates confusion as someone in Group 3 pushes through because the "screen says" they're boarding.

[My guess for that is rather than "properly" boarding preboards or dealing with the gate reader alarms the GAs are just setting the current boarding group to be whatever the preboard had without thinking of the consequences]
Old Aug 17, 2016, 6:15 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
[Note: nothing that hasn't been already said, but a recent example which cements this in my mind]

Ok, so I'm more convinced that credit card holders with priority boarding need to be a separate group from any and all elite flyers.

I was on ORD-ATL on which most elites on board were upgraded. I'm Gold and was upgraded, so any of the 5 people left on the upgrade list were likely no better than group 2. However, Group 2 was still probably 25+ deep. You can reasonably assume there were around 15-20 credit card holders on the flight.

It doesn't seem right that someone who pays $95 for a credit card should have the same benefits and priority as someone who flies potentially anywhere from 30-89 segments / 25k-74k miles per year and can spend $3k+ of airfare on UA (for instance, I've already spent over $6k this year on 31k PQM / 37 PQS, but have the same priority as my mother-in-law who flies 1-2x per year).

Call for elites in whatever order, then priority for credit card holders and whoever bought the premier access package, then general boarding. That should still drive the behavior they want (get our credit cards!) while still maintaining a difference between those who fly frequently and those who do not.
Old Aug 17, 2016, 6:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by gobluetwo

It doesn't seem right that someone who pays $95 for a credit card should have the same benefits and priority as someone who flies potentially anywhere from 30-89 segments / 25k-74k miles per year and can spend $3k+ of airfare on UA (for instance, I've already spent over $6k this year on 31k PQM / 37 PQS, but have the same priority as my mother-in-law who flies 1-2x per year).

Call for elites in whatever order, then priority for credit card holders and whoever bought the premier access package, then general boarding. That should still drive the behavior they want (get our credit cards!) while still maintaining a difference between those who fly frequently and those who do not.
While you're right, UA doesn't care that they are diluting the benefit afforded to more frequent fliers. Which is why many FFs are no longer pursuing status on UA to the degree they once did.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.