Polaris lounge ORD - opened 01 Dec 2016

    Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 17, 18, 5:46 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Access to Polaris lounges (source):


update 29 Sept 2017, effective 1 Oct, 2017

Departure: The airport you are leaving on an international J/F flight* from, i.e. EWR-ORD-NRT
Connecting: The airport to or from which you have a short-haul flight to connect to a longer flight, i.e. EWR-ORD-NRT or NRT-ORD-EWR
Arrival: The airport you arrive at after your long-haul flight, i.e. EWR-ORD-NRT

Hours-0715-2100

*Currently it appears that any departing international flight on a *A partner qualifies (except AC operated transborder flights ), but only United flights with the premium cabin class listed as 'Polaris Business' or 'Polaris First' will qualify for entrance after arriving off a United Polaris flight.
UA premium cabin flights not marketed as Polaris, such as Domestic First or International Business (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean ... ) are not eligible for Polaris lounge access.

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
Polaris lounge ORD - opened 01 Dec 2016 (wiki) (thread)
SFO Lounge changes? Which will become Polaris? Shower options?(wiki) (thread)
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges(wiki) (thread)}
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Mar 11, 18, 1:19 pm
  #751  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chicago IL US
Programs: UA 1K; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Posts: 253
Originally Posted by trvlr70 View Post
What if it was bought on United.com? The NH flights are code shares.
Still no. Must be in Polaris Class on UA metal to use Polaris Lounge on arrival. Customers may only access a United Polaris lounge at the departure airport for their international [*A] business class flight - https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ge/access.aspx.
onthesam is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 18, 1:36 pm
  #752  
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SFO
Programs: UA Gold 1.7MM, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Posts: 41,177
Originally Posted by trvlr70 View Post
I'm flying Al Nippon in business class. Will I have access upon arrival before my connecting flight on UA?
With the exception of a few "arrival' lounges, most lounges are considered "departure" lounges and access is based on the departure flight. That was the original concept of lounges, places you waited until departure.
This is also the standard *A rule for departure lounges.

Then some were extended to those willing to pay for a membership and then for those that achieve certain FF status. (note neither oif these apply to Polaris Lounges)

An exception is some carriers allow their arriving premium cabin passengers into their departure lounges regardless of departure flights.

Who sold the ticket does not matter.
WineCountryUA is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 18, 1:05 am
  #753  
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MSP
Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level
Posts: 590
Data point- arrival on non-United metal, granted access

Originally Posted by onthesam View Post
Still no. Must be in Polaris Class on UA metal to use Polaris Lounge on arrival. Customers may only access a United Polaris lounge at the departure airport for their international [*A] business class flight - https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ge/access.aspx.
Perhaps the rules have changed for 2018, or my experience was an anomaly, but I had no problem accessing the Polaris lounge when I arrived on ANA metal with United code-share ticket last December
In2ishn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 18, 1:51 am
  #754  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; DL Plat; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 31,582
Originally Posted by In2ishn View Post
or my experience was an anomaly
Yes, it was agent error. Only a UA Polaris arrival should grant Polaris lounge access.
Kacee is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 18, 1:14 pm
  #755  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Greensboro, NC USA
Posts: 1,011
Originally Posted by In2ishn View Post


Perhaps the rules have changed for 2018, or my experience was an anomaly, but I had no problem accessing the Polaris lounge when I arrived on ANA metal with United code-share ticket last December
I hope this is the case. It's one of the reasons I booked United. My itinerary list all United flights. The only reason I figured it out was that I wasn't able to select seats online. Also, the agent that assisted with the booking said I'd be able to access....which was a concern because the layover is 5 hours!
trvlr70 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 18, 5:34 pm
  #756  
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Chicago IL US
Programs: UA 1K; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Posts: 253
Originally Posted by trvlr70 View Post
I hope this is the case. It's one of the reasons I booked United. My itinerary list all United flights. The only reason I figured it out was that I wasn't able to select seats online. Also, the agent that assisted with the booking said I'd be able to access....which was a concern because the layover is 5 hours!
Most posts on these forums that start out with those words don't end well...

Have you considered switching to the UA flight? You'll assure yourself access...
onthesam is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 18, 7:03 am
  #757  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 7
United Polaris Lounge

I will fly MSP-ORD-ARN with the first leg in UA First and with SAS Business class ORD-ARN. Im also Star Alliance Gold if that helps.

Can i access United Polaris Lounge at ORD? I got around 3 hours to kill I was hoping to be able to try out the Polaris Lounge, or is there any other lounge worth a visit?
Tillmark is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 18, 7:11 am
  #758  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Programs: UA 1K; SPG Plat; Marriott Plat
Posts: 564
Originally Posted by Tillmark View Post
I will fly MSP-ORD-ARN with the first leg in UA First and with SAS Business class ORD-ARN. Im also Star Alliance Gold if that helps.

Can i access United Polaris Lounge at ORD? I got around 3 hours to kill I was hoping to be able to try out the Polaris Lounge, or is there any other lounge worth a visit?
Polaris lounge ORD - opened 01 Dec 2016

Yes, you will have access
awu25 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 18, 7:34 am
  #759  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: DAY
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Plat Premier/SPG Plat; Amex MR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Posts: 6,556
Originally Posted by Tillmark View Post
I will fly MSP-ORD-ARN with the first leg in UA First and with SAS Business class ORD-ARN. Im also Star Alliance Gold if that helps.

Can i access United Polaris Lounge at ORD? I got around 3 hours to kill I was hoping to be able to try out the Polaris Lounge, or is there any other lounge worth a visit?
Yes, you will have access. Note that SAS will depart from Terminal 5, so you will need to allow enough time to transit to the other terminal. There is a new shuttle bus service which may be available. This will allow you to stay air-side and not have to re-clear TSA.

T3 to T5 ORD transfer bus now available for all airlines (not just BA and QR)

EDIT: Found better thread for *A flight transfers:
ORD T1, T2, T3 to T5 busing being looked at for connecting pax

Once you arrive at Terminal 5, you can use the SAS lounge. It isn't as nice as Polaris, but is better than hanging out at the gate.

Last edited by goodeats21; Mar 13, 18 at 9:12 am
goodeats21 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 18, 8:18 am
  #760  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 7
is 3 hours enough for a quick stop in Polaris lounge before I need to head for the T5?
Tillmark is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 18, 8:20 am
  #761  
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 3,733
Originally Posted by Tillmark View Post
is 3 hours enough for a quick stop in Polaris lounge before I need to head for the T5?
Sure, assuming that your MSP-ORD flight is anywhere near on-time.
jsloan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 18, 11:42 pm
  #762  
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Posts: 717
Waitlist gripe

OK— here’s my gripe. I pay $400 extra for a W fare so I can waitlist for Polaris business first using a GPU. I’m in Chicago where there happens to be the nearly one and only Polaris lounge. My upgrade is battlefield and finally it clears or it doesn’t but because it doesn’t clear at the window, I don’t get to use the lounge.

To me, I either way, UA is keeping some of the value. Why not give access to anyone who is eligible for the UG?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 18, 18 at 1:47 am Reason: Moved to appropriate thread
tryathlete is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 18, 12:52 am
  #763  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: AVP & PEK
Programs: UA 1K MM, Hertz PC
Posts: 892
Originally Posted by tryathlete View Post
OK— here’s my gripe. I pay $400 extra for a W fare so I can waitlist for Polaris business first using a GPU. I’m in Chicago where there happens to be the nearly one and only Polaris lounge. My upgrade is battlefield and finally it clears or it doesn’t but because it doesn’t clear at the window, I don’t get to use the lounge.

To me, I either way, UA is keeping some of the value. Why not give access to anyone who is eligible for the UG?
This is quite a big issue that I agree with.
Well, except that it never applied to me yet, as I am EWR based and it takes them -what seems to be forever- to build the EWR Polaris lounge. Took a quick peek last week when the construction door was open, and they are still working on framing and drywall. Some drywall is up in the entrance area, and it has been "stopped" already, but not painted.
I will join in your frustration, once "I" have a lounge I can't access for the reason you describe! ��

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 18, 18 at 1:48 am Reason: cleanup after moved
narvik is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 18, 1:49 am
  #764  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; DL Plat; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 31,582
Originally Posted by narvik View Post
Took a quick peek last week when the construction door was open, and they are still working on framing and drywall.
HeadInTheClouds likes this.
Kacee is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 18, 8:27 am
  #765  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: SFO/HKG/SIN - United 1K MM / SPG Lifetime Platinum
Posts: 5,010
I have heard that the Polaris lounge in SFO is targeted to open on or around April 30. Employee orientation starts next week.
kluau88 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread