Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Old Dec 3, 2016, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Access to Polaris lounges (source):

Hour 6:00 a.m. – 9:00 p.m. daily
A la carte dining, last seating 8 p. m.

United flights with the premium cabin class listed as 'Polaris Business' qualify for deaparture, connecting and arrival of a United Polaris flight.
UA premium cabin flights not marketed as Polaris, such as Domestic First or International Business (Canada, Mexico, Caribbean, Central America, northern South America, ... ) are not eligible for Polaris lounge access.
For partner, Business or International First, access only at departure airport and same destination restrictions as UA (roughly at least 8+ hours long haul international - TATL, TPAC, yes any UA Polaris destination but no trans-border).

No Guests (except 1 guest for International First partner flights)

{Similar Threads:
Polaris Lounge Roadmap 2017-2018 (wiki) (thread)
EWR Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
IAH Polaris lounge (E11/12 - top fl) -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
SFO Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
LAX Polaris Lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ...
United Polaris-New Business Class seats & inflight service and new Polaris Lounges (wiki) (thread)}
Consolidated "Polaris Lounge Access Questions" Thread

International T5 ORD partner *G lounges
Print Wikipost

ORD Polaris lounge -- Reviews, Experiences, Q&A, ..

Old Mar 11, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
Originally Posted by trvlr70
What if it was bought on United.com? The NH flights are code shares.
Still no. Must be in Polaris Class on UA metal to use Polaris Lounge on arrival. Customers may only access a United Polaris lounge at the departure airport for their international [*A] business class flight - https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ge/access.aspx.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 1:36 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I'm flying Al Nippon in business class. Will I have access upon arrival before my connecting flight on UA?
With the exception of a few "arrival' lounges, most lounges are considered "departure" lounges and access is based on the departure flight. That was the original concept of lounges, places you waited until departure.
This is also the standard *A rule for departure lounges.

Then some were extended to those willing to pay for a membership and then for those that achieve certain FF status. (note neither oif these apply to Polaris Lounges)

An exception is some carriers allow their arriving premium cabin passengers into their departure lounges regardless of departure flights.

Who sold the ticket does not matter.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:05 am
Suspended

Programs: DL MM (thanks PMNW!), DL PM, UA PLT, just about every darn hotel program-generally GOLD type level
Data point- arrival on non-United metal, granted access

Originally Posted by onthesam
Still no. Must be in Polaris Class on UA metal to use Polaris Lounge on arrival. Customers may only access a United Polaris lounge at the departure airport for their international [*A] business class flight - https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...ge/access.aspx.
Perhaps the rules have changed for 2018, or my experience was an anomaly, but I had no problem accessing the Polaris lounge when I arrived on ANA metal with United code-share ticket last December
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by In2ishn
or my experience was an anomaly
Yes, it was agent error. Only a UA Polaris arrival should grant Polaris lounge access.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by In2ishn

Perhaps the rules have changed for 2018, or my experience was an anomaly, but I had no problem accessing the Polaris lounge when I arrived on ANA metal with United code-share ticket last December
I hope this is the case. It's one of the reasons I booked United. My itinerary list all United flights. The only reason I figured it out was that I wasn't able to select seats online. Also, the agent that assisted with the booking said I'd be able to access....which was a concern because the layover is 5 hours!
Old Mar 12, 2018, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K; National Executive Elite; Hertz PC & Hotels Galore
I hope this is the case. It's one of the reasons I booked United. My itinerary list all United flights. The only reason I figured it out was that I wasn't able to select seats online. Also, the agent that assisted with the booking said I'd be able to access....which was a concern because the layover is 5 hours!
Most posts on these forums that start out with those words don't end well...

Have you considered switching to the UA flight? You'll assure yourself access...
Old Mar 13, 2018, 7:03 am

United Polaris Lounge

I will fly MSP-ORD-ARN with the first leg in UA First and with SAS Business class ORD-ARN. Im also Star Alliance Gold if that helps.

Can i access United Polaris Lounge at ORD? I got around 3 hours to kill I was hoping to be able to try out the Polaris Lounge, or is there any other lounge worth a visit?
Old Mar 13, 2018, 7:11 am

Programs: UA 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by Tillmark
I will fly MSP-ORD-ARN with the first leg in UA First and with SAS Business class ORD-ARN. Im also Star Alliance Gold if that helps.

Can i access United Polaris Lounge at ORD? I got around 3 hours to kill I was hoping to be able to try out the Polaris Lounge, or is there any other lounge worth a visit?
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...ec-2016-a.html

Yes, you will have access
Old Mar 13, 2018, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry

Yes, you will have access. Note that SAS will depart from Terminal 5, so you will need to allow enough time to transit to the other terminal. There is a new shuttle bus service which may be available. This will allow you to stay air-side and not have to re-clear TSA.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...ust-ba-qr.html

EDIT: Found better thread for *A flight transfers:
ORD T1, T2, T3 to T5 busing being looked at for connecting pax

Once you arrive at Terminal 5, you can use the SAS lounge. It isn't as nice as Polaris, but is better than hanging out at the gate.

Last edited by goodeats21; Mar 13, 2018 at 9:12 am
Old Mar 13, 2018, 8:18 am

is 3 hours enough for a quick stop in Polaris lounge before I need to head for the T5?
Old Mar 13, 2018, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

is 3 hours enough for a quick stop in Polaris lounge before I need to head for the T5?
Sure, assuming that your MSP-ORD flight is anywhere near on-time.
Old Mar 17, 2018, 11:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Waitlist gripe

OK— here’s my gripe. I pay $400 extra for a W fare so I can waitlist for Polaris business first using a GPU. I’m in Chicago where there happens to be the nearly one and only Polaris lounge. My upgrade is battlefield and finally it clears or it doesn’t but because it doesn’t clear at the window, I don’t get to use the lounge.

To me, I either way, UA is keeping some of the value. Why not give access to anyone who is eligible for the UG?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 18, 2018 at 1:47 am Reason: Moved to appropriate thread
Old Mar 18, 2018, 12:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by tryathlete
OK— here’s my gripe. I pay $400 extra for a W fare so I can waitlist for Polaris business first using a GPU. I’m in Chicago where there happens to be the nearly one and only Polaris lounge. My upgrade is battlefield and finally it clears or it doesn’t but because it doesn’t clear at the window, I don’t get to use the lounge.

To me, I either way, UA is keeping some of the value. Why not give access to anyone who is eligible for the UG?
This is quite a big issue that I agree with.
Well, except that it never applied to me yet, as I am EWR based and it takes them -what seems to be forever- to build the EWR Polaris lounge. Took a quick peek last week when the construction door was open, and they are still working on framing and drywall. Some drywall is up in the entrance area, and it has been "stopped" already, but not painted.
I will join in your frustration, once "I" have a lounge I can't access for the reason you describe! ��

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 18, 2018 at 1:48 am Reason: cleanup after moved
Old Mar 18, 2018, 1:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by narvik
Took a quick peek last week when the construction door was open, and they are still working on framing and drywall.
HeadInTheClouds likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
I have heard that the Polaris lounge in SFO is targeted to open on or around April 30. Employee orientation starts next week.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.