Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Orders Boeing 777-300ERs / 77Ws w/ 1-2-1 Polaris Business, 3-4-3 Economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2016, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyHighInTheSky

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/inflight/aircraft/777/300/default.aspx
Print Wikipost

UA Orders Boeing 777-300ERs / 77Ws w/ 1-2-1 Polaris Business, 3-4-3 Economy

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2015, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Has UA Confirmed the cabin layout for the 77W's?
No.

Originally Posted by Garten
Boeing has tried to market humidity, pressure, and windows as big improvements, but there's little evidence that the flying public is willing to pay more for these things.
So UA is charging more to fly on the 787? [No.]
Old Apr 25, 2015, 4:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
So UA is charging more to fly on the 787? [No.]
I don't understand what your point is here. My point was that the public doesn't seem to value a 787 seat more than a 777 seat and so it doesn't make sense for UA to spend more per seat to operate 787s rather than 777s. They should right-size their planes for their routes without regard to the advertised advantages in terms of cabin pressure, humidity, or window size.

Perhaps you're agreeing with that.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravellingMan
Personally I think the 787 is a lemon. I flew 787s from KQ and QR last month and they were always late leaving for their home base by more than few hours. I look at the aircraft type and try to avoid the 787s as they are more likely to be delayed.
I recall similar circumstances, when UA introduced the 777 in 1995++ .
Old Apr 25, 2015, 5:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by halls120
If UA management really cares about customer comfort, 9 across in E+ should be a given. If all of Y is 10 across, that will be the definitive statement as to how they really regard their customers.
I'm certain they don't care about comfort. They care about profit. It's hard for them to resist the race to the bottom on comfort, because the majority of travelers seem willing to spend almost zero for extra comfort. But they do want to upsell and segment the market to get more revenue from those who will pay more, so I do think they will want to have E+ seats that are significantly better than standard E. What exactly that looks like, we will find out.

one only needs to look at the slimline seats that are being installed on the NB aircraft to gauge current management's views on customer comfort. They don't care, so why would we believe they suddenly have a change of heart?
I think it would be harder for them to put two physically different seats in the A320s (but with the same width) than it would be to put some more comfortable seats in E+ in the 777. Not that I don't agree this is something they should have considered.
Old Apr 25, 2015, 10:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Garten
I don't understand what your point is here. My point was that the public doesn't seem to value a 787 seat more than a 777 seat and so it doesn't make sense for UA to spend more per seat to operate 787s rather than 777s. They should right-size their planes for their routes without regard to the advertised advantages in terms of cabin pressure, humidity, or window size.

Perhaps you're agreeing with that.
Customers don't value an aircraft type - most people couldn't tell a 777 from an A380 from a Spitfire. Customers come in two types: a) cheapest/fastest/easiest and b) comfortable/functional/useful.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by gpicur
Am I the only one on this thread that finds it odd that UA would trade away technologically advanced aircraft options (i.e. 789s) for planes with 20 year old technology (i.e. 777s ) ? I personally was excited about the 787 aircraft and all of the new options (higher air pressure, added humidity, bigger windows, ambient light, etc). Will the new 777s have any of these new technological options ??

Overall I am disappointed in the trade (777 for 787) decision, but the future for us travelers, especially those in international Y, is bleak.
From a certain viewpoint, that's understandable. But UA is probably going to use the 77Ws to help accelerate the retirement of the 744s, so from that standpoint UA IS advancing technologically. While it would be fantastic to use the even-more-advanced 787's (like the -10) and 777X as replacements, those are several years off, while the 77Ws are here, (almost) now.

Originally Posted by TravellingMan
Personally I think the 787 is a lemon. I flew 787s from KQ and QR last month and they were always late leaving for their home base by more than few hours. I look at the aircraft type and try to avoid the 787s as they are more likely to be delayed.
I book 787s when I can, and having flown on 8-9 flights on them now, I've only had one delay of 2 hours, and that was just a couple of weeks before the worldwide grounding. The rest have been on time or (gasp!) early departures.

Last edited by IceTrojan; Apr 26, 2015 at 11:54 pm Reason: Mixed up DL's 744 plans with UA's
Old Apr 26, 2015, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by VNAFlyer
From a certain viewpoint, that's understandable. But UA is probably going to use the 77Ws to help accelerate the retirement of the 744s, so from that standpoint UA IS advancing technologically. While it would be fantastic to use the even-more-advanced 787's (like the -10) and 777X as replacements, those are several years off, while the 77Ws are here, (almost) now.
Jeff and Co. indicated on the earnings call that most of the 747s will stay in the fleet until 2020 when they are up for another round of D checks.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by Longboater
Jeff and Co. indicated on the earnings call that most of the 747s will stay in the fleet until 2020 when they are up for another round of D checks.
What is the delivery schedule for the new 77W's?
Old Apr 26, 2015, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
What is the delivery schedule for the new 77W's?
Begins next year, goes into 2017. These are essentially filling in for the missing 10 772s converted to domestic duty (which are being used to add domestic capacity).
Old Apr 26, 2015, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by andrewwm
Begins next year, goes into 2017. These are essentially filling in for the missing 10 772s converted to domestic duty (which are being used to add domestic capacity).
Not necessary filling in the the missing 20 772 for conversion, unless there are schedules changes, 744 are supposed to start their retirement this year, 2 for this year, another 2 or 3 for 2016, slow retirement thru 2020.

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Apr 26, 2015 at 10:47 pm
Old Apr 26, 2015, 11:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
Originally Posted by Longboater
Indeed, I mixed it up with DL's plans, sorry!
Old Apr 27, 2015, 1:31 am

When are the A35Js coming in?
Old Apr 27, 2015, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by sincx
When are the A35Js coming in?
Old Apr 27, 2015, 7:58 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Just read Rainey's remarks about flipping the 87 for the 300ER. He mentioned one of their goals was "improving operational reliability." I know that is directly aimed at the aged 47 fleet, but I am curious about how reliable United's 87 fleet is these days. Improving rapidly? Presumably the -9s are showing better numbers as Boeing learns more about the aircraft class. How about compared to the 77 at this point in the respective fleet introductions?
Old Apr 27, 2015, 9:32 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Not necessary filling in the the missing 20 772 for conversion, unless there are schedules changes, 744 are supposed to start their retirement this year, 2 for this year, another 2 or 3 for 2016, slow retirement thru 2020.
It is only 10 772s being converted. The 747 retirement schedule was already fixed before the 777-300ER decision was made, so I don't think they are filling in for them. Especially since they will likely be based at EWR, which currently has no 747 ops.

The A35J is the plane that will fill in for the 747 retirements, those start to come on property in 2018.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.