Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Orders Boeing 777-300ERs / 77Ws w/ 1-2-1 Polaris Business, 3-4-3 Economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2016, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyHighInTheSky

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/inflight/aircraft/777/300/default.aspx
Print Wikipost

UA Orders Boeing 777-300ERs / 77Ws w/ 1-2-1 Polaris Business, 3-4-3 Economy

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2015, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
UA's products are not designed for the Barbra Streisands of the world, but rather the polo/khaki corporate crowd.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...es-2015-a.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...es-2014-a.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...es-2013-a.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-2012-a.html

Old Apr 29, 2015, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 1.6MM, AA LT PLT, AA 2.6MM, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by bocastephen
The true HVF is not a UA core customer. This person does not select UA unless there is an extenuating circumstance - they select a global branded carrier.

UA's customer (and this goes for DL and AA as well) is a typical corporate or corporate executive traveler using OPM or the small/medium business owner looking for a "premium class experience" on a discount - ie, P, Z fares and their ST, OW equivalents or has funds to fly domestically in F or high last minute fares due to business needs.

We just booked the spouse of one of the world's most well known business leaders on a trip where one-way was UA BF - it was definitely a one-off experience due to schedule and we're going to wait out the flight praying we don't get a nasty-gram from this important customer.

UA's products are not designed for the Barbra Streisands of the world, but rather the polo/khaki corporate crowd.
I know several true HVFs (myself included) who purposefully choose UA without having to do so. Here are the facts:

- we have no corporate contract with UA
- we are free to fly any carrier we'd like
- we can book business class over an ocean, domestic first for flights over five hours, and economy for everything else

With those facts, the majority of the HVFs at my firm have chosen United. This is why:

- attaining GS allows for almost 100% domestic upgrades on those flights less than five hours
- UA's route structure gets almost everywhere we want to go
- earning superior RDMs allows us to take our families/friends on great vacations using UA
- ability to upgrade into GF from BF on a regular basis using GPUs or miles
- GS customer service is very satisfactory

When I say I know some flyers in this category, the number is over 50. I know others at competitive firms who feel the same. I think to oversimplify things is not looking at the whole picture. Certainly I could fly the foreign carriers in paid J/C/D but that wouldn't be helpful to my overall flying requirements. The GS program incents me to keep that flying on UA and since I can get into GF on almost all of my flights, I very much enjoy flying UA on purpose.

Last edited by RealFan; Apr 29, 2015 at 1:23 pm
Old Apr 29, 2015, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
I hope you are communicating this A LOT with UA because that's the only chance it would have staying.

Originally Posted by RealFan
I know several true HVFs (myself included) who purposefully choose UA without having to do so. Here are the facts:

- we have no corporate contract with UA
- we are free to fly any carrier we'd like
- we can book business class over an ocean, domestic first for flights over five hours, and economy for everything else

With those facts, the majority of the HVFs at my firm have chosen United. This is why:

- attaining GS allows for almost 100% domestic upgrades on those flights less than five hours
- UA's route structure gets almost everywhere we want to go
- earning superior RDMs allows us to take our families/friends on great vacations using UA
- ability to upgrade into GF from BF on a regular basis using GPUs or miles
- GS customer service is very satisfactory

When I say I know some flyers in this category, the number is over 50. I know others at competitive firms who feel the same. I think to oversimplify things is not looking at the whole picture. Certainly I could fly the foreign carriers in paid J/C/D but that wouldn't be helpful to my overall flying requirements. The GS program incents me to keep that flying on UA and since I can get into GF on almost all of my flights, I very much enjoy flying UA on purpose.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Or of course they could do something radical and simply purchase a state of the art off-the-shelf solution like Cirrus or Solstys which are already approved for this aircraft. (I know, not gonna happen.)
Or the B/E SuperDiamond, from their existing IPTE & LFBF vendor...

But I think any of those is a short sighted mistake, better to get a 2015 seat for their 2016-2025 deliveries.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
That's funny. Almost every major airline has a better hard product than UA. In the U.S., just look at DL (fleetwide) and AA on its 77Ws, 787s, and the 767s and 772s that are in the process of being converted.

Internationally? Where to start? Let's just say most of them. Other than BA, what major international carrier stuffs 8-across in C on a 777?

UA only has to be "good enough."
I will agree with you on Delta. AA isn't anywhere close to being finished, and therefore the product that's installed on the majority of their fleet isn't better. The Lufthansa Group has a terrible products in most of their fleet, as does AF/KLM. AF's new product might be better, but KLM's new product is identical to UA's current top line product. But both, as I understand it, are in very few of the planes at the moment.

Your comment on the PMUA 777 and the 747 - yes, those aren't great products, but those should be phasing out with the 77W and A350. I've easily managed to avoid those planes except for once, although that's probably more of a function of my origination point.

In general, I'd argue that only the Middle Eastern carriers and select Asian carriers (Thai, Cathay, and ANA) have better hard products.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 2:30 pm

How many times can the same people have the same argument about whether UA should retain GF???
As long as it takes
Old Apr 29, 2015, 2:34 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz
It will be interesting to see how this strategy plays out. GF is an important product for HVF that pmUA had and pmCO did not. My guess is a fair number of GS will be moving their premium travel to airlines with either first class or far superior business class. Its unfortunate when companies don't care what their best customers want.
Apparently, everyone thinks UA GF customers are simply going to switch to other carriers as UA GF continues to diminish and eventually disappears. Apparently, everyone forgets that DL already doesn't have F and that AA will end up in a year or two with only F on its 10 x 773ER equipment.

Most US business flyers will stick with a US carrier for the bulk of business travel--since the overwhelming majority of US business flyers still need to fly domestic routes, too. Foreign carriers F can be wonderful, but they don't help you on a single domestic route.

US business flyers who fly mostly to Asia will certainly be inclined to switch to an Asian carrier with better J or F, but those are a fraction of US business travelers. US business flyers who fly mostly to Europe will possibly be inclined to switch to European carriers, but those usually aren't as convenient for nonstop service from the US to anything more than the Euro carrier's hub airport. Business flyers prefer nonstop service, and the 3 US carriers will offer FAR more nonstop options from far more US cities to far more European destinations. So most US business flyers to Europe still are likely to stick with a US carrier lacking F. The fact is that most European carriers are decreasing their F TATL inventory, as well.

The end of F for US carriers on international longhaul flights is a foregone conclusion...and won't hardly impact the profits/revenues of any of the US carriers. Just ask DL--with the biggest profits of any carrier in the world in the past year or two and no F at all.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by UAL4life
I hope you are communicating this A LOT with UA because that's the only chance it would have staying.
I've been communicating this, as have others I know. UA doesn't seem to care...
Old Apr 29, 2015, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bhrubin
AA will end up in a year or two with only F on its 10 x 773ER equipment.
I know you've been corrected on this many, many times already, but the correct number is 20 :-:
Old Apr 29, 2015, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA 1.6MM, AA LT PLT, AA 2.6MM, Intercontinental Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by UAL4life
Quite honestly, I haven't communicated it to anyone. My view is that if AA ups its game and goes to an all aisle business class product that is available on all the flights I'd take, I'll look at completely leaving UA for AA at that time. However, as it stands today, UA has better seats on a more consistent basis for the flights I take and the GS program is superior to the CK program at AA.

In a year or two, if UA eliminates GF, doesn't solve for the all aisle access issue, and if AA ups its CK program and has successfully converted its business class to all aisle, there is a very high likelihood that I will return to AA where I spent 10 years+ as an EXP with the last three being CK as well.

So the very long answer to your short question is that I'm not speaking to UA directly but will decide what to do what is best for me on an annual basis. Today's it's UA. Who knows what 2016 will bring? I can see switching over in 2017.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 2:53 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I know you've been corrected on this many, many times already, but the correct number is 20 :-:
I stand corrected then.

Either way, the only routes the AA 773ER flies are below. If you aren't flying to/from London or Sao Paolo, there is no AA F. So the impact of AA having F is limited to only those business flyers. Considering the only REALLY longhaul flight with serious traffic among them for US business travelers is LAX-LHR, there is little impact to AA having F on those relative to UA and DL's route maps.

Where does the 777-300ER fly?

From the United States

Departure Arrival Flight #
Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) Sao Paulo (GRU) 963
Los Angeles (LAX) London (LHR) 136
New York (JFK) London (LHR) 100, 106
New York (JFK) Sao Paulo (GRU) 951

To the United States

Departure Arrival Flight #
London (LHR) Los Angeles (LAX) 137
London (LHR) New York (JFK) 101, 107
Sao Paulo (GRU) Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) 962
Sao Paulo (GRU) New York (JFK) 950
Living in SoCal as I do, of course, none of the AA routes above make any difference to me except for LAX-LHR. I already have LAX-LHR F options with UA GF from both LAX and SFO, and those aren't going anywhere for quite some time. I already have LAX and SFO options to LHR in F on BA, as well.

Having flown LAX-MIA in AA's new F, I can say that UA's GF, old as it is, is still pretty comparable to AA's brand new F in terms of hard product. Having flown LHR-LAX in BA's new F on the A380, I can say that the BA hard product is a bit nicer than UA's GF but that I still prefer UA GF. (Even UA's GF food is better than that of BA F.)

The fact is that UA will have more GF than AA F on far more routes for quite some time--probably another 5-10 years, at least--before it disappears entirely. I'm quite happy with UA, therefore.

Last edited by bhrubin; Apr 29, 2015 at 3:03 pm
Old Apr 29, 2015, 3:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Either way, the only routes the AA 773ER flies are below. If you aren't flying to/from London or Sao Paolo, there is no AA F.
Not sure where you're getting your information, but that's not correct. The 77W is flying DFW-HKG as well. I don't know if there are others, I'm not even an AA flyer.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 3:14 pm
Suspended

Not sure where you're getting your information, but that's not correct. The 77W is flying DFW-HKG as well. I don't know if there are others, I'm not even an AA flyer.
I got it from the aa.com website!

http://www.aa.com/i18n/aboutUs/ourPl...L&title=fly777

Perhaps AA is flying the 777 on its DFW-HKG but not the 773ER? AA is currently flying F on other aircraft, but its plan is to remove F from all of its equipment except for its 773ER fleet. So there won't be many routes on AA that actually have F.

UA GF might not be introduced on any new equipment for UA, but it is present on FAR more equipment on UA than on AA now. So for the time being, F exists on FAR more longhaul flights and longhaul routes on UA than on AA. And UA GF is nicer than older AA F and comparable to AA new F.

I've flown F/J on most airlines, usually in F whenever possible/available (using points mostly, though I did pay $3200 most recently for EK F CPT-DXB-LAX this past Jan). The fact is that I'm still always amazed at how pleased I am with UA GF despite the nicer options/suites that are available on Gulf/Asian carriers. I wasn't as pleased with AA's new F. BA's F was beautiful but no more comfortable, and its food was atrocious. AF's F was beautiful and its food was better. LH's F was the best of all US/Euro carriers. CX F was wonderful, but I didn't sleep any better. SQ F was the best ever, followed by CX and EK for me. EY F was great hard product but lacked food options and had terrible IFE and ran out of things so often I stopped flying. OZ F was wonderful but had the worst IFE of all the major carriers--even Aeroflot J had better IFE. SA J was great, but felt very similar to UA J (though service was a bit better on SA). TK J was great--food, IFE, service, hard product, club. TG F was overrated--decent seat but so many problems with hard product working right and IFE that I also stopped using them.

With the benefit of flying so many different carriers in premium classes, it makes me appreciate UA GF and even UA J more than most. There are better out there, certainly...but I can't fly all of them to all of the destinations I want to all parts of the globe. From LAX and SFO, I can fly UA almost anywhere I want (except for Southern Africa, which is why I paid for EK F).
Old Apr 29, 2015, 3:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I got it from the aa.com website!
You've been victimized by outdated info then.

AA is definitely flying the 77W (777-300ER) to HKG. American Airlines Launches New Service Between DFW and HKG and PVG
Old Apr 29, 2015, 4:00 pm
Suspended

You've been victimized by outdated info then.

AA is definitely flying the 77W (777-300ER) to HKG. American Airlines Launches New Service Between DFW and HKG and PVG
I knew of the new route and intention to fly the 7773ER on DFW-HKG. I just couldn't be sure of the status of that choice (whether AA already had starting using the 773ER or not).

Either way, this still doesn't impact my original premise: AA's F on the 773ER will only exist on about 5 routes as of now (instead of 4). UA already has GF on FAR more routes from far more hubs to far more destinations on FAR more planes. Even with GF diminishing over time, it will be many, many year--IMO at least 5-10 years--before UA GF drops below the frequency of AA F on its 773ERs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.