Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Orders Boeing 777-300ERs / 77Ws w/ 1-2-1 Polaris Business, 3-4-3 Economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2016, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyHighInTheSky

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/inflight/aircraft/777/300/default.aspx
Print Wikipost

UA Orders Boeing 777-300ERs / 77Ws w/ 1-2-1 Polaris Business, 3-4-3 Economy

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2015, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Originally Posted by mduell
Oh boy, they're going to get some new slimmed lavs to fit more 10-abreast coach in!

It found room to shoehorn in as many as 14 more seats by shrinking the lavatories.
The upgrades should be ready next year in time for the first deliveries of United Airlines’ 777-300ERs, Lund said.
The lavatories are very small already. I don't think they can shrink even a few more inches, let alone enough to fit in 14 more seats.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Austin787
The lavatories are very small already. I don't think they can shrink even a few more inches, let alone enough to fit in 14 more seats.
Have you been in a slimlined lav on the new 737s? They found a way - they're awful.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Have you been in a slimlined lav on the new 737s? They found a way - they're awful.
Its almost worse than a crj. It's bad.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I try very hard not to use the restroom on domestic narrow body or RJ flights. It is just an exercise in contortionist moves to use them. It's no wonder the floors are always covered in urine.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 5:45 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
Its almost worse than a crj. It's bad.
Originally Posted by Baze
I try very hard not to use the restroom on domestic narrow body or RJ flights. It is just an exercise in contortionist moves to use them. It's no wonder the floors are always covered in urine.
One of the few good things about living in flyover states - almost never have to use the lav
Old Jun 7, 2015, 8:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
so, will UA cave and install the BF cabin with direct aisle access seating on the new 777's? I mean, even Vietnam Airlines went with flat bed direct aisle access seating on their new 787's/350's. If Vietnam Airlines can do it, so can UA.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 8:14 pm
Suspended

United can make more money for shareholders by cramming 3-5-3 in the 77W. Smisek will love this idea.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 8:40 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Wasn't there a thread or something about people being invited to Chicago to product test new seats?
The narrow seats are fine unless you have a large person next to you. In that case it becomes the flight from hell.

I took my last flight on a 777 with 10 across. It was Emirates from Dubai to Shanghai and the guy next to me had his elbow in my stomach the entire flight. He was very wide.
Old Jun 7, 2015, 11:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by bldr1k

I took my last flight on a 777 with 10 across. It was Emirates from Dubai to Shanghai and the guy next to me had his elbow in my stomach the entire flight. He was very wide.
Happened to me on the 787 domestic route, the dude was 90 years old. The last time I ever flew Y on the 787............. Sat right in the middle while me and the guy in the aisle was too nice to say anything since he was almost 3x our age.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 6:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bldr1k
The narrow seats are fine unless you have a large person next to you. In that case it becomes the flight from hell.

After my first - and last - flight on a AF 777 with 10 wide in Y, I resolved to book away from any airline/flight that has 10 wide on a 777 or 9 wide on a 787.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 6:48 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by Baze
And once there is the slightest bit of pee on the floor, then dudes stand further away in order not to stand in it, so even more gets on the floor, and then dudes stand even further away, and so forth...
Old Jun 8, 2015, 7:41 am

3-4-3? I've flown 3-3-3 on a TPAC, and that's about as crowded as I can handle -- especially given how narrow UA's seats in Y generally are. Other airlines are more generous.

Of course, it seems more airlines are moving to that config. :\
Old Jun 8, 2015, 11:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by windhund
3-4-3? I've flown 3-3-3 on a TPAC, and that's about as crowded as I can handle -- especially given how narrow UA's seats in Y generally are. Other airlines are more generous.

Of course, it seems more airlines are moving to that config. :\
That's the unfortunate situation. Emirates proved you can cram people into 16+" wide coach seats for 12+ hours and people will still buy tickets (for what reason, I have no idea - they are rarely the cheapest option). NH is packing them in on 3x3x3 787 coach seats with similar width and even less legroom.

Meanwhile the news media moans about shrinking inflight personal space, but until people or governments fight back, airlines will continue to look for space efficiency around passengers until they've achieved the maximum possible efficient load. If regulators would allow it, they would probably do a single aisle widebody with a space gap around the emergency exists and 7x7 seats across at 15-16" wide
Old Jun 8, 2015, 12:14 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Economy flyers love to moan and groan about how horrible flying is, but they still look for the cheapest possible tickets. For example, looking at my flights over the last year or so, there were very frequently numerous E+ seats available when E- is completely full. Every person in E- who didn't pay for E+ has clearly told UA that the additional E+ comfort is not worth the up-charge. So airlines are giving economy flyers what they want: the absolutely cheapest possible ticket that gets them to their destination.
Old Jun 8, 2015, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by physioprof
Economy flyers love to moan and groan about how horrible flying is, but they still look for the cheapest possible tickets. For example, looking at my flights over the last year or so, there were very frequently numerous E+ seats available when E- is completely full. Every person in E- who didn't pay for E+ has clearly told UA that the additional E+ comfort is not worth the up-charge. So airlines are giving economy flyers what they want: the absolutely cheapest possible ticket that gets them to their destination.
Not all Economy flyers moan about everything and not all Economy flyers look for the cheapest flights. I am willing to pay a premium for a "better" flight (more direct, more comfortable, preferable airlines, etc.) but that premium will be capped at some point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.