Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Orders Boeing 777-300ERs / 77Ws w/ 1-2-1 Polaris Business, 3-4-3 Economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2016, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyHighInTheSky

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/inflight/aircraft/777/300/default.aspx
Print Wikipost

UA Orders Boeing 777-300ERs / 77Ws w/ 1-2-1 Polaris Business, 3-4-3 Economy

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2015, 4:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by OskiBear
2-2-2/1-2-1 in Business still beats 2-4-2 on UA's 772
The 2-4-2 cabin on AF 777-200 is called "Premium Economy".
Total joke of UA to call their 2-4-2 cabin "BusinessFirst".
Old Apr 29, 2015, 5:06 pm

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
There is nothing first class about any UA J offering, and there probably will never be. However, 2-4-2 lie flat J is in no way comparable to 2-4-2 premium economy. Apples to oranges.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 5:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz
There is nothing first class about any UA J offering, and there probably will never be. However, 2-4-2 lie flat J is in no way comparable to 2-4-2 premium economy. Apples to oranges.
No lie flat J, as all the seats are broken.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 5:31 pm

No lie flat J, as all the seats are broken.
I'm not saying they don't break, but I've never experienced a broken J seat. But you could be one of the extremely unlucky fliers in this website where every flight is delayed three hours, every phone call involves a two hour hold where the agent hangs up on you, the FA's throw slop in the community horse trough on your dark 737, and everything on the airplane is broken all the time.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by airb330
Aren't the new LH C seats worse (or at best about the same as) the PMCO C seats? 2-2-2 with the strange foot divider doesn't seem any better. If UA is staying 2-2-2 they might as well keep the PMCO seats just for fleet harmonization.
The new LH C seats are very solid IMO. Have flown them a few times, and get a great sleep. I couldn't give a toss about aisle access - I want a bed that's long enough and comfortable enough to sleep on, and they provide it.

Originally Posted by JC1120
I will agree with you on Delta. AA isn't anywhere close to being finished, and therefore the product that's installed on the majority of their fleet isn't better. The Lufthansa Group has a terrible products in most of their fleet, as does AF/KLM. AF's new product might be better, but KLM's new product is identical to UA's current top line product. But both, as I understand it, are in very few of the planes at the moment.
Not identical. From what I've heard, the KLM product is the same seat as the UA (sCO) seats, but significantly longer. That makes a huge difference if true. If long enough, it would transform a really bad seat into a solidly good seat for me.

In general, I'd argue that only the Middle Eastern carriers and select Asian carriers (Thai, Cathay, and ANA) have better hard products.
I think it's even fewer than that. Emirates business isn't long enough for me. Same goes for TG, NH with their staggered layout. Not comfortable for sleeping. Haven't flown Cathay, BR is similar and good, AC's 787 seat is excellent. So as insane as it sounds, there are not too many airlines on which you can get a reliably good business seat for a person much over 6 feet tall.

I fully concede that if I were under 6 feet, then my opinions would be radically different. How us minorities suffer in life, eh?
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sbm12
And economy will be 3-4-3 throughout, including the E+ cabin.
I'd like to say I'm surprised at this customer-unfriendly move, but I'm not.

It will be interesting to see how this strategy plays out. GF is an important product for HVF that pmUA had and pmCO did not. My guess is a fair number of GS will be moving their premium travel to airlines with either first class or far superior business class. Its unfortunate when companies don't care what their best customers want.
UA doesn't care about any of their frequent fliers, why should they care about their HVF's?

I've been communicating this, as have others I know. UA doesn't seem to care...
And you're surprised because?
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
I have heard that the seat is a UA design that can be bid out to the various manufacturers for production. Said another way, it's supposedly not just a variation of any of the patented third party designs out there.
Do you know which design firm they used? Last time it was Pentagram for the design, then produced by B/E.

The AF 2-4-2 cabin also has half the pitch of the UA 2-4-2... can't even lay down in it.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by mduell
Do you know which design firm they used? Last time it was Pentagram for the design, then produced by B/E.
I believe UA has retained PriestmanGoode as design firm.
Old May 2, 2015, 4:28 pm

Programs: CO Gold, SPG Gold
I don't suppose it's possible that the new UA C seat will be so good it will further erode the difference between the old IPTE/LFBF seats and the GF seat?

It seems that overwhelmingly, popular opinion is that GF is not competitive with any other carrier offering international F. There is certainly little chance that UA will improve GF to be competitive. From this it's possibly a good strategy for us to stop hoping for an improved GF and instead lobby for an improved BF hard product that is good enough that it eliminates any real need for GF. What does this seat need to have?
1. All aisle access.
2. Long enough with enough room for big feet.
3. A bit more storage than the current "none" of the IPTE seat.

Anything else?
Old May 2, 2015, 5:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lensman
I don't suppose it's possible that the new UA C seat will be so good it will further erode the difference between the old IPTE/LFBF seats and the GF seat?

It seems that overwhelmingly, popular opinion is that GF is not competitive with any other carrier offering international F. There is certainly little chance that UA will improve GF to be competitive. From this it's possibly a good strategy for us to stop hoping for an improved GF and instead lobby for an improved BF hard product that is good enough that it eliminates any real need for GF. What does this seat need to have?
1. All aisle access.
2. Long enough with enough room for big feet.
3. A bit more storage than the current "none" of the IPTE seat.

Anything else?
I would expect a new all-aisle-access J seat to be quite tight compared to the current GF seat. Nothing's free on an airplane and if you add more storage/work area you're going to have to take it out of the seat/bed dimensions or reduce the density of the cabin. And I can't see the current management going for the latter, especially after how they their previous airline made a point of retaining density in the BF to LFBF transition.

Last edited by mduell; May 2, 2015 at 5:06 pm
Old May 2, 2015, 11:25 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
No one is going to see anything new on the 77W.

New airplane--same seats. Just like the brand new 789s.
Old May 3, 2015, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
No one is going to see anything new on the 77W.
I'm willing to take that bet. What are you willing to stake?
Old May 3, 2015, 5:40 am

Programs: UA 1K, GE/Nexus, Marriott Gold
I'm willing to take that bet. What are you willing to stake?
That bet is already won/lost; 3-4-3 (ten abreast) Y is definitely new.
Old May 3, 2015, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by nikolastojsin
That bet is already won/lost
I know. But if someone is still willing to take the other side why shouldn't I profit a bit on that??
Old May 3, 2015, 8:00 am

I know. But if someone is still willing to take the other side why shouldn't I profit a bit on that??
Because that would be dishonest?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.