Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Orders Boeing 777-300ERs / 77Ws w/ 1-2-1 Polaris Business, 3-4-3 Economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2016, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyHighInTheSky

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/inflight/aircraft/777/300/default.aspx
Print Wikipost

UA Orders Boeing 777-300ERs / 77Ws w/ 1-2-1 Polaris Business, 3-4-3 Economy

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by airzim
I don't have any inside knowledge, but I think we'll see United dump GF, release a new BF seat, introduce a new Premium Econ product, small E+, and E-. I know they've been shopping these ideas with their customer base which leads me to believe a Premium E product is greater than 50%.

However, the only plane where this may make sense is the 77W, and possibly the A350. So I doubt we'll really see this introduced fleet wide.
GF is pretty much dead at UA. Won't be installed on any of the 787s nor will it be installed on the 77Ws & A350s. No plans on installing premium economy on the 77Ws or A350s either.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:22 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Originally Posted by sbm12
An inside source has suggested to me that the LOPA calls for 60 new BF seats which are a product not currently flying on any carrier. And economy will be 3-4-3 throughout, including the E+ cabin.
thanks for that detail.

i thought that E+ would remain 3-3-3, particularly since the rumor (last i heard) is that the hawaiian subfleet will keep that config. going 3-4-3 with a little more legroom destroys a lot of the potential value of E+ and further diminishes the value of status with UA.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sbm12
But both of those designs are old and installing a product built 5+ years ago is bad, right? I'm sure I've read that once or twice on these forums.
You'll hear just about everything in these forums

It is interesting that UA chose to go its own way with a new seat. Do we know who the manufacturer will be? More B/E Aerospace? Will be interesting to see if they can improve on the Cirrus or Solstys.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Kacee
It is interesting that UA chose to go its own way with a new seat. Do we know who the manufacturer will be? More B/E Aerospace? Will be interesting to see if they can improve on the Cirrus or Solstys.
Yeah this would be interesting - IMO the Cirrus is the best out of all of them (and tough to improve upon). CX said they're updating the seat slightly, but from what I've read, it's really minor.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:34 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
My bet is on a variant of the B/E Super Diamond with some revisions to UA specs.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:38 am

I have heard that the seat is a UA design that can be bid out to the various manufacturers for production. Said another way, it's supposedly not just a variation of any of the patented third party designs out there.

Last edited by JC1120; Apr 29, 2015 at 11:57 am
Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:41 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Wasn't there a thread about UA doing extensive interest group testing of its new seat concept?

Found it: New UA BusinessFirst Seat Research
Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:42 am

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
GF is pretty much dead at UA. Won't be installed on any of the 787s nor will it be installed on the 77Ws & A350s. No plans on installing premium economy on the 77Ws or A350s either.
It will be interesting to see how this strategy plays out. GF is an important product for HVF that pmUA had and pmCO did not. My guess is a fair number of GS will be moving their premium travel to airlines with either first class or far superior business class. Its unfortunate when companies don't care what their best customers want.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz
It will be interesting to see how this strategy plays out. GF is an important product for HVF that pmUA had and pmCO did not. My guess is a fair number of GS will be moving their premium travel to airlines with either first class or far superior business class. Its unfortunate when companies don't care what their best customers want.
If you go way back years before the merger you will see many posts where 3 cabin F is called employee class because it rarely filled up with buyers so it got filled with employees. Yes, the employees had to pay something to sit up there but nowhere near the price of a 3 class F seat.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by EWR764
My bet is on a variant of the B/E Super Diamond with some revisions to UA specs.
That would be cool - I'm sure it will be devoid of any stylistic touches, of course (per UA "style"), but the seat itself is very ^
Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:54 am

If I was flying paid international F (and I'm not) I wouldn't have been flying UA to begin with. And they don't have three cabin on many routes anyway, so I'm not sure the difference will be that dramatic. And wrt to business class, I don't know how many airlines you would consider to have "far superior" business class. The hard product is one of the better ones our there. Soft product leaves more to be desired, but many of us place that concern below the hard product and routing. Honestly, I'd prefer they put extra business class seats in over a mediocre F product any day.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 12:06 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
The true HVF is not a UA core customer. This person does not select UA unless there is an extenuating circumstance - they select a global branded carrier.

UA's customer (and this goes for DL and AA as well) is a typical corporate or corporate executive traveler using OPM or the small/medium business owner looking for a "premium class experience" on a discount - ie, P, Z fares and their ST, OW equivalents or has funds to fly domestically in F or high last minute fares due to business needs.

We just booked the spouse of one of the world's most well known business leaders on a trip where one-way was UA BF - it was definitely a one-off experience due to schedule and we're going to wait out the flight praying we don't get a nasty-gram from this important customer.

UA's products are not designed for the Barbra Streisands of the world, but rather the polo/khaki corporate crowd.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 12:11 pm

How many times can the same people have the same argument about whether UA should retain GF???
Old Apr 29, 2015, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
How many times can the same people have the same argument about whether UA should retain GF???
How many grains of sand are there in the Sahara?
Old Apr 29, 2015, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Nah. GS are flying UA for route convenience or corporate contracts. They are already stuck with two-class on all the pmCO aircraft. I doubt UA will see much of a tick in the decline in the number of GS passengers, regardless of what they may claim at present.

Originally Posted by JC1120
I don't know how many airlines you would consider to have "far superior" business class. The hard product is one of the better ones our there.
That's funny. Almost every major airline has a better hard product than UA. In the U.S., just look at DL (fleetwide) and AA on its 77Ws, 787s, and the 767s and 772s that are in the process of being converted.

Internationally? Where to start? Let's just say most of them. Other than BA, what major international carrier stuffs 8-across in C on a 777?

UA only has to be "good enough."

Honestly, I'd prefer they put extra business class seats in over a mediocre F product any day.
I'd prefer they improve F instead.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.