Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Orders Boeing 777-300ERs / 77Ws w/ 1-2-1 Polaris Business, 3-4-3 Economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2016, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyHighInTheSky

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/inflight/aircraft/777/300/default.aspx
Print Wikipost

UA Orders Boeing 777-300ERs / 77Ws w/ 1-2-1 Polaris Business, 3-4-3 Economy

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2015, 10:23 am

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by JC1120
I've been told that there has been essentially zero investment in a updated GF product, including the GFLs. In fact, the discussion with the GFLs is a conversion to GS/BF product instead. So reading between the lines, it tells me that GF is gone and we'll see a C/E+/E- airline going forward.

From a FF perspective, sometimes it'd be nice to have the GF for award tickets or GPU upgrades. However, like most people, I could never justify paying for it on this airline, or another airline. So, if there's no intention to put the investment into make it a competitive product, I'd rather them convert the GFLs into United Clubs (or maybe BusinessFirst clubs) and give us more BF seats on the plane (which increases both $$ and award availability).
The same can be said about B'F'. The current product isn't worth more than a P fare. GF is/was a way for UA to attract HVF and reward high frequency J buyers (GS). If they remove it, its just one more reason for these folks to consider another airline.

Removing GF is just another step in UA becoming a completely undifferentiated airline that no one actually wants to fly. It may work in the short term, but it won't over the long term.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 1:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
I hope UA will follow through with like 4 F seats which is what many carriers are doing now instead of 8 of 'em.
There are staffing and catering issues which can arise from such an approach. In the end it might not be worth it.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I think it's sad that UA no longer really aspires to be the sort of airline that offers First Class service. But maybe it's just facing reality - it can't do it, so it won't. And maybe that's a sensible decision. I don't think that offering First Class will really sway people to travel with UA when all they are doing is buying Business Class and hoping for an upgrade. What will sway them are a)the receipt of many, many more RDMs than previously, b)really excellent service - this is where UA needs to invest - and c)reliability which, I believe is better than many here suggest and will be improved if they order some newer planes. But the investment in service must come and it will be expensive.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Global Entry, CLEAR
Officially confirmed that UA will swap 10 of it's 787 orders for 10 77W. Excited to see the livery on the aircraft.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/united...113000852.html
Old Apr 23, 2015, 3:26 pm

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I think it's sad that UA no longer really aspires to be the sort of airline that offers First Class service.
Not sad, smart. The competitive benchmarks of International First Class (as discussed on FT and elsewhere) are basically set by airlines based in less fiercely competitive environments than the North American market, or by carriers indifferent to profitability concerns (e.g., the ME3). So it's no surprise that North American carriers are generally committed to phasing out longhaul F (at this point, only AA 77Ws will be left with F at decade's end, and the next global downturn might kill that off, too).
Old Apr 23, 2015, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
Not sad, smart. The competitive benchmarks of International First Class (as discussed on FT and elsewhere) are basically set by airlines based in less fiercely competitive environments than the North American market, or by carriers indifferent to profitability concerns (e.g., the ME3). So it's no surprise that North American carriers are generally committed to phasing out longhaul F (at this point, only AA 77Ws will be left with F at decade's end, and the next global downturn might kill that off, too).
Uh, huh. Like LH, BA, AF, JL, NH, TG, CX, SQ . . .
Old Apr 23, 2015, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I think it's sad that UA no longer really aspires to be the sort of airline that offers First Class service. But maybe it's just facing reality - it can't do it, so it won't.
It doesn't want to do it, so it doesn't.

And maybe that's a sensible decision. I don't think that offering First Class will really sway people to travel with UA when all they are doing is buying Business Class and hoping for an upgrade. What will sway them are a)the receipt of many, many more RDMs than previously, b)really excellent service - this is where UA needs to invest - and c)reliability which, I believe is better than many here suggest and will be improved if they order some newer planes. But the investment in service must come and it will be expensive.
The DOT statistics don't lie.

Originally Posted by TexasTea
Officially confirmed that UA will swap 10 of it's 787 orders for 10 77W. Excited to see the livery on the aircraft.

I will be willing to bet it is exactly the same livery COdbaUA is using now and the seats are the current sub-par CO seats.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 6:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
I will be willing to bet it is exactly the same livery COdbaUA is using now and the seats are the current sub-par CO seats.
There's no question it will be the UA Globe livery, but I've got to admit I'm a huge fan of it.

I think it'll look pretty phenomenal on the particular airframe.

I think it goes without saying that it would be nice if there was an updated Global First product with a revised J, but no one is holding their breath there...
Old Apr 23, 2015, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward

Wow! That's great news!!! Is the 77W will be based in EWR? A35J will be based in SFO & ORD, am I correct?
Old Apr 23, 2015, 7:27 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC

Well hope you enjoy 15 hours in those soon-to-be announced 16" wide slimback seats with no cushion support. Count me out.

Originally Posted by nerdbirdsjc
Fiercely competitive? This is an extremely low competitive market. An oligopoly, bans on foreign ownership, restrictive controls on international routes, etc.

Asia is a fiercely competitive market, and they seem to offer the best inflight product in the world as a result. The US market is a result of "we don't give a crap because we don't have to".

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 24, 2015 at 4:34 am Reason: multi-quote should be used
Old Apr 23, 2015, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Fiercely competitive? This is an extremely low competitive market. An oligopoly, bans on foreign ownership, restrictive controls on international routes, etc.

Asia is a fiercely competitive market, and they seem to offer the best inflight product in the world as a result. The US market is a result of "we don't give a crap because we don't have to".
There are no plans to put slimlines in the 75B or widebody aircraft this is including the new 77Ws which will be dedicated to international flights.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 7:45 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
There are no plans to put slimlines in the 75B or widebody aircraft this is including the new 77Ws which will be dedicated to international flights.
If they go 10 across, what types of seats are planned for these aircraft?
Old Apr 23, 2015, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
If they go 10 across, what types of seats are planned for these aircraft?
Not sure of seats or configuration yet but all I know is none of the international or widebody aircraft will be getting slimlines. Only aircraft getting slimlines are the 738/739/739ER and A319/A320 fleet.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Is there any plan for the ps birds? I just can't see them going to a 737 on that route, at least I hope not -- but with the introduction of Mint and just how competitive the route is in general I just don't quite get what the long term strategy is.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by N830MH
Wow! That's great news!!! Is the 77W will be based in EWR? A35J will be based in SFO & ORD, am I correct?
Seems strange since B77W dominates TPAC and A35J doesn't have the same payload-range.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.