Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Orders Boeing 777-300ERs / 77Ws w/ 1-2-1 Polaris Business, 3-4-3 Economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2016, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyHighInTheSky

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/inflight/aircraft/777/300/default.aspx
Print Wikipost

UA Orders Boeing 777-300ERs / 77Ws w/ 1-2-1 Polaris Business, 3-4-3 Economy

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2015, 7:20 am

I got this in my PNR for April 28th MEL LAX...

Flight:UA99
Aircraft: Boeing 777-300
Fare Class: United BusinessFirst (R)
Seat map still shows as a 789.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 7:23 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by AA2MM
I'm seeing a 789 on united.com. And I'm seeing it's PN9, R9!
Old Jan 26, 2015, 7:25 am

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by LordTentacle
I keep hearing 3 class but not which seats (old or new)
If this ends up being true, it is 1) fantastic news and 2) makes me think that management may actually be listening to what UA HVF want. ^
Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by AA2MM
That's an IT error. .com will sometimes show an A330, too.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 26, 2015 at 8:26 pm Reason: OT content removed
Old Jan 26, 2015, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by BB2220
They won't fit.
That is indeed good news.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by FT Nov 2014
“Everyone thinks first class must be diminishing, but its quite incredible how more and more airlines are renewing their first-class offer and having more first-class seats on board,” says Nigel Goode, director of the design agency PriestmanGoode, whose recent projects include new first-class cabins for Qatar Airways, Swiss, Lufthansa and Air France. “There is quite a resurgence.”
I've been listening to this " death of 3-class F" since the early 00s, mostly from DL/NW/CO fliers who were after defending their airlines 2-cabin strategy (excluding the fact that UAL/AMR were the two largest flag carriers with rights to LHR, UAL competing in premium business routes to Asia/Europe, etc. - larger more premium focused networks that they both still have today).

The proponents jumped on the severe dip in F capacity during the global financial crisis, and the adoption of lie flat J, as the final death blows. Now that we are no longer in recession lows, and it's making a comeback, it seems some are unable/unwilling to admit reality - that F is soaring in the gulf and Asia, has been right-sized in Europe to meet demand, and is undergoing being right-sized in the states to remain on the markets where it makes sense.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 26, 2015 at 8:27 pm Reason: OT content removed
Old Jan 26, 2015, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by tuolumne
Thirdly, F capacity is not shrinking worldwide - it's up 34% since 2009...
Source?

Total seats or ASMs?
Old Jan 26, 2015, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Sooooooooo how about them Boeing 777-300ERs?
Old Jan 26, 2015, 8:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Madone59
Sooooooooo how about them Boeing 777-300ERs?
Good reminder of thread topic.
773ER and possible cabin configurations.

A number of OT posts have been removed.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Jan 26, 2015, 9:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by tuolumne
I've been listening to this " death of 3-class F" since the early 00s, mostly from DL/NW/CO fliers who were after defending their airlines 2-cabin strategy (excluding the fact that UAL/AMR were the two largest flag carriers with rights to LHR, UAL competing in premium business routes to Asia/Europe, etc. - larger more premium focused networks that they both still have today).

The proponents jumped on the severe dip in F capacity during the global financial crisis, and the adoption of lie flat J, as the final death blows. Now that we are no longer in recession lows, and it's making a comeback, it seems some are unable/unwilling to admit reality - that F is soaring in the gulf and Asia, has been right-sized in Europe to meet demand, and is undergoing being right-sized in the states to remain on the markets where it makes sense.
I can't speak for the gulf much, but SQ suites for example do quite well (and are HEAVILY limited in SQ saver availability, so they're not giving them away). At the same time, I don't think anyone would pay for UA GF when SQ C is much better.

I like the idea of 3 class on principle, but if UA were to add the same tired GF on the new birds vs adding more Y and C, it would be no better than today, where GF is the home for saver mileage redemptions, non revs, and for C fliers to burn GPUs.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
I am not an airplane techie, so could someone explain to me the differences in capacity,range and efficiency between 77W and A350-1000?

It seems odd to me or am I just confused that UA's plan to replace 744 with A350-1000 has been not been well thought through. Why all the sudden realize 77W is a better fit?
Old Jan 27, 2015, 7:44 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Why all the sudden realize 77W is a better fit?
Acquisition cost is a major component of the aircraft's projected cash flow, and Boeing probably came along with a very sweet deal that brings the 77W a little closer to the anticipated A35J numbers. Up until recently the 77W was an extremely expensive aircraft to buy, even with customary discounts. Plus, it has a great deal of commonality with existing GE90-powered 772ERs, so it's really only a minor evolution for the fleet.

The A35J will be an outstanding airplane, but is still 3+ years away and the 77W allows UA to begin to pull down the 747 fleet incrementally as they approach HMVs and replace that capacity with a similarly-sized airplane that is not currently available in the fleet.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by EWR764
Acquisition cost is a major component of the aircraft's projected cash flow, and Boeing probably came along with a very sweet deal that brings the 77W a little closer to the anticipated A35J numbers. Up until recently the 77W was an extremely expensive aircraft to buy, even with customary discounts. Plus, it has a great deal of commonality with existing GE90-powered 772ERs, so it's really only a minor evolution for the fleet.

The A35J will be an outstanding airplane, but is still 3+ years away and the 77W allows UA to begin to pull down the 747 fleet incrementally as they approach HMVs and replace that capacity with a similarly-sized airplane that is not currently available in the fleet.
Yep, 3+ years and will probably have some teething issues, which I'm sure UA will be keen to avoid after the 78X. Not that anyone is expecting the 1000 series to have anywhere near as many issues, but you'd still be getting an early serial number as the North American Launch Customer, whereas with the 77W you're getting a plane that's been proven by everyone else and is probably in revision 2 or 3 by the time UA gets theirs. So especially if the earliest A35J's don't meet spec, a great deal on the 77W may be more attractive.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: Southwest, Alaska, United, American Airlines
Originally Posted by EWR764
The GF seats from the 747 would be incompatible with any new 777 because of the shape of the 747 A-zone. However, the rumored 10 three-cabin A-market 777s being converted to a high-density configuration certainly could be a possible donor of GF seats for a new 77W.
The premium cabin configs will no doubt be interesting, as the 77Ws would be coming in earlier than the originally planned rollout of the BF suite-style seats (which are supposed to roll out with the 35J and/or legacy UA 787 fleets around 2017/2018-ish). Using the current GF/BF seats might well be the stopgap measure if the new BF suites are not ready in time for the 77W's arrival.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 9:16 am

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I am not an airplane techie, so could someone explain to me the differences in capacity,range and efficiency between 77W and A350-1000?

It seems odd to me or am I just confused that UA's plan to replace 744 with A350-1000 has been not been well thought through. Why all the sudden realize 77W is a better fit?
The A350-1000 was designed to be a replacement for the A340-600/77W. Its basically a lighter, more fuel efficient 77W. It carries slightly fewer passengers and can only go 3-3-3 in the rear. The A350-1000 will have slightly more range than 77W so SFO-SIN on this plane won't be happening. The 77W still has more powerful engines and thrust. Due to the engines, its possible the 77W could be used to start EWR/IAD-JNB nonstop as the two GE engines carry almost the same amount of thrust SAL has with their A340-600s. The 77W has just over 200 miles more range than SAL's A340-600s. If United decides to fly to ZA, the 77W might be the plane to do the job rather than the 787-9. What matters for JNB is thrust of engines compared to MTOW. The 77Ws two GE engines have enough thrust to equal the thrust of the 747-300s four engines. The 787-9, while lighter and has plenty of range, still would have to be greatly restricted as its engines are powerful enough for MTOW out of JNB. Ok, slight tangent, but United could use the 77W for slightly different missions than the A350-1000.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.