Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Orders Boeing 777-300ERs / 77Ws w/ 1-2-1 Polaris Business, 3-4-3 Economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2016, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyHighInTheSky

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/inflight/aircraft/777/300/default.aspx
Print Wikipost

UA Orders Boeing 777-300ERs / 77Ws w/ 1-2-1 Polaris Business, 3-4-3 Economy

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:33 am

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
Unfortunately, the ones who decided that it's not necessary to provide footwells big enough to actually fit adult feet, nor "bed space" long enough for someone taller than about 5'-5" to lie flat (764, ps, etc.) are making those decisions.
Exactly! The same people that decided to take delivery of brand new 788/789s with the outdated seat installed.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 29, 2015 at 10:34 am Reason: trolling comment removed
Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:50 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz
What a worthless article. It brings no new information to the table. Did the author use this thread as his primary source?
^ Exactly.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 9:59 am

Unfortunately, the ones who decided that it's not necessary to provide footwells big enough to actually fit adult feet, nor "bed space" long enough for someone taller than about 5'-5" to lie flat (764, ps, etc.) are making those decisions.
At least the people who thought it was good to have eight across business seating are gone

Last edited by BB2220; Jan 29, 2015 at 2:22 pm Reason: Said seven instead of eight
Old Jan 29, 2015, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
I'm 6'3" and have no issue with the BF seats on pmCO aircraft. I don't know where some of you folks come up with these claims.

Last edited by l etoile; Jan 29, 2015 at 6:06 pm Reason: Restored due to following post
Old Jan 29, 2015, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Accor Plat, Htz PC, Natl ExEm, other random status
Originally Posted by Bonehead
I'm 6'3" and have no issue with the BF seats on pmCO aircraft. I don't know where some of you folks come up with these claims.
As they say, "Your Mileage May Vary."

Coincidentally, I, too, am 6'3", and I find the pmCO BF seats much tighter in the footwell (uncomfortably so) than the pmUA BF seats. I struggle to fit my 12EEE feet in the pmCO footwells.

I say this not to suggest that you're incorrect with respect to your own comfort, but to illustrate that there are others who have different experiences, as borne out by the 9 bagajillion threads and posts on this particular topic in the past.

If you truly "don't know where some of you folks come up with these claims," I would suggest taking a look at one of those prior threads.

Greg
Old Jan 29, 2015, 6:00 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by greg99
.....I would suggest taking a look at one of those prior threads. ....
Excellent point -- been lots of threads on the two legacy lie-flat seating systems and individual preferences

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...pmua-pmco.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...than-pmua.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-400-intl.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...f-product.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...e-layouts.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...nessfirst.html

Just for a few.

Doubt there is anything new to add in this thread or that we really need another thread on that topic, so let's stay on the future 777-300ER topic here.

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator
Old Mar 3, 2015, 11:33 am

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
http://mobile.reuters.com/article/id...50303?irpc=932

Rainey stirs the pot yet again. Comment I found most interesting was he mentioned consolidating the 747 fleet yet again. Rainey talked about how the 747s could be consolidated to one area, the only workable one is be SFO-East Asia, and have the 77W "in other markets". I'm reading into this that the 77W will likely be ORD-Asia, particularly ORD-HKG as the 77W won't be subject to the same performance issues as the 772 currently does and the 747 in the past. CX is actually reducing ORD-HKG back to once daily rather than ten times weekly. United has held its own turf.

This interview all but confirms United is going to order the 777-300ER. They are probably in the midst of negotiations on finalising the order and delivery schedule. Rainey mentioned the 77Ws would not only arrive before the A350-1000s arrive, but implied that then supposed ten ordered, would all be delivered before the first A350-1000 arrives on the property. I believe the earliest one could arrive as soon as next year. With Boeing/GE to officially announce a new performance improvement package to the 77W starting next year, reducing fuel burn by another two per cent, United might use this as the opportunity to have their future 77W come with this PIP. The 777X will have to wait a while before United pulls the plug.

Also, Smisek has said a billion times, United loves the 787 and its working quite well for them.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 11:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
the only thing i care about the 777-300ER would be :

is UA gonna FINALLY launch a new 1-2-1 J ?
Old Mar 3, 2015, 12:52 pm

Read the above cited Reuters feed myself. Rainey doesn't come off as controversial, just as kind of a simpleton and lacks any level of sophistication about the industry.

The new United has been struggling with fleet issues: too many 50-seat RJs, old ratty sUA 752s and 744s. They need the 773ER.

But, when he says The A321Neo-LR has "issues"? What does he mean? Like as in they are expensive and the order book of the 320 family means UA will wait forever to get them?

Surely he can't mean "issues" in terms of customer experience, fleet commonality with the 319s/320s they have (and have said they are looking for used ones), etc.. The new AA 321s -- and even the newer build US ones -- are really nice planes to fly on.

Then again, I am sure Rainey spends most of his time dreaming of 11-abreast seating in the 773ER and how to fit more slimlines in the 739ERs.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
The A350 XWB will replace the 747, not the 772ER.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 1:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA PP, AA, DL, BA, CX, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by B787938
Then again, I am sure Rainey spends most of his time dreaming of 11-abreast seating in the 773ER and how to fit more slimlines in the 739ERs.
He's dreaming how to beat AC at their game by fitting 77W with 500 seats while still offering 1-2-1 J and E+.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 1:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

But, when he says The A321Neo-LR has "issues"? What does he mean?
Likely that the capacity for TATL is lower than the 752s so it will be harder to justify using them in that role.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Read the above cited Reuters feed myself. Rainey doesn't come off as controversial, just as kind of a simpleton and lacks any level of sophistication about the industry.

The new United has been struggling with fleet issues: too many 50-seat RJs, old ratty sUA 752s and 744s. They need the 773ER.

But, when he says The A321Neo-LR has "issues"? What does he mean? Like as in they are expensive and the order book of the 320 family means UA will wait forever to get them?

Surely he can't mean "issues" in terms of customer experience, fleet commonality with the 319s/320s they have (and have said they are looking for used ones), etc.. The new AA 321s -- and even the newer build US ones -- are really nice planes to fly on.

At least Smisek and Co. are slowly coming to realise that they can't kick the can down the road any further on replacing the mechanically challenged 747s much further and late 2018, even early 2019 is not enough for many of the oldest 747s needing potentially two more D checks before retiring. They acknowledged a 50 seater problem and will park dozens more 50 seaters by years end. They've even matched Delta's soft product upfront by adding wifi and meals on flights longer than 800 miles. Maybe they might have enough by the end of the year to match Delta's commitment of having two class RJs on flights at least two hours in length. I think the issues are how the A321NEO-LR might handle DEN-Hawai'i.

Regardless, this management is not innovative and is playing catch up to Delta and even USdbaAA.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by sbm12
Likely that the capacity for TATL is lower than the 752s so it will be harder to justify using them in that role.
Exactly. I suspect TATL 757's work very well for UA -- older depreciated airframes carrying good CASM given the much higher TATL fares they can charge for flights only a hair or two longer than TCONs like JFK-LAX/SFO.

If the A321 cannot offer what the 757 does today, that sucks for UA.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 5:26 pm

The company has mentioned internally that they would like to move the sCO 757 away from Continental Europe within the next 18 - 24 months and isolate them to UK/Ireland flights where reliability isn't much of a concern or issue. Part of this involves reconfiguring the 3-cabin 763s to the 2-cabin 763 standard and taking more 787 deliveries. So expect 777s, 787s & 767s to Continental Europe and sCO 757s to UK/Ireland. Also look for more of the sCO 757s to fly more transcons such as EWR - LAX/SFO/SEA etc and West Coast/DEN - Hawaii flights. EWR - LHR will of course continue to see a mix of sCO 777s, 787s, 767s in addition to possibly a 757 or 2 during the summer travel season.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.