Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Orders Boeing 777-300ERs / 77Ws w/ 1-2-1 Polaris Business, 3-4-3 Economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2016, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyHighInTheSky

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/inflight/aircraft/777/300/default.aspx
Print Wikipost

UA Orders Boeing 777-300ERs / 77Ws w/ 1-2-1 Polaris Business, 3-4-3 Economy

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2015, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by fly18725
Very few, if any, airlines ever paid that much for a 77W.
Source?

I'm talking about current year dollars. $165+MM now is only $145MM in 2007 and I don't think a lot of customers were paying less than that then.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
I listened to it for a while last Thursday on the sCO 772 I flew IAH-AMS.
I listened to it today on a sCO 777 from AMS-IAH. I was surprised to hear it
Old Jan 21, 2015, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
They know how crappy the 744's are in Y. Smisek commented on it several years ago with reference to the OZ flights. That said, it's unlikely the 77W will be much of an upgrade for those stuck in E-. Slimlines, 10 across, and 31" pitch. Personal AVOD doesn't make that seat any less miserable.
But who here sits in E-?
Nobody important to the airline so who cares how it is back there
Old Jan 21, 2015, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by mduell
Source?

I'm talking about current year dollars. $165+MM now is only $145MM in 2007 and I don't think a lot of customers were paying less than that then.
Current year dollars may be a different story. Plenty of appraisers and financiers speculate on net prices, often with very good intelligence.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by fly18725
If they were going to remove IFE, why are the 787s delivered with it?
Streaming IFE may not have been an option when they committed to the 787 interiors. Now it is.

Or maybe the IFE supplier for the 787s is a Houston crony.

You never know what motivates this management team.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by channa
Streaming IFE may not have been an option when they committed to the 787 interiors. Now it is.

They could still choose to take it out if it is the case, it is not like the new UA haven't done it, e.g. 3 of the 2 class domestic 777 were 3 class birds before with PTV (videos run in a loop), when it converts into 2 class, all the PTV either ripped out or covered up the screen and become streaming only for both F and Y.

Also, when the PMUA 2 class ghetto domestic 763 converted into international after the merger, no PTV become PTV at every seat with AVOD. They could have chosen not to install PTV as well, but the fact is not. (p.s. UA actually flown these planes to HKG for a complete rewiring in order to install PTV, they did this is only because these birds are relatively newer compare to the PMUA 3 class 763 and 744)

All in all, as long as it is international, all newly deliver planes should have PTV.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 12:08 am

Originally Posted by halls120
Boeing is probably selling them at a huge discount in order to bridge the gap between 777 and 777x. I'll bet other airlines take advantage of the deals Boeing is likely offering.
Could this order also be compensation for the delays and technical issues that UA suffered on the 788? Boeing gives them credits to purchase the 77W while bridging the 777W to 77X gap, smart move....
Old Jan 22, 2015, 12:40 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by warreng24
I agree with this. The 77W would be a cost-effective way to upgage equipment. Especially on slot controlled airports.

I can see SFO-NRT, one of the EWR-LHR's, SFO-HKG, SFO-PVG, SFO-PEK, and ORD-HKG going 77W...
ORD-HKG used to be a 747? So it could go back to 747 if UA wanted.

SFO-PVG is a 747? so you want UA to reduce capacity for the 777w?
Old Jan 22, 2015, 1:24 am
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
AIr Canada going super budget in economy.

Originally Posted by BB2220
But who here sits in E-?
Nobody important to the airline so who cares how it is back there
Air Canada has come to that conclusion. Its converting a huge # of its planes ROUGE to SUPER economy with 29" seat pitch.

Its also created a new "slaveship" called the 777HD that has horrid slim line seats 10 across for 12hr flights and they even removed many of the washrooms to free up space for more seats.
AC has found this to be so successful they are now changing the rest of the 777 fleet to 10 across seating.
Reduction of business class seats as well as reduction of upgrade instruments, makes sure there will be no shortage of Business class seats with the cutbacks.
However Air Canada can get away with this because it has very little competition with a duopoly position, in the Canadian market.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 2:04 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, mLife Platinum
Originally Posted by why fly
Air Canada has come to that conclusion. Its converting a huge # of its planes ROUGE to SUPER economy with 29" seat pitch.

Its also created a new "slaveship" called the 777HD that has horrid slim line seats 10 across for 12hr flights and they even removed many of the washrooms to free up space for more seats.
AC has found this to be so successful they are now changing the rest of the 777 fleet to 10 across seating.
Reduction of business class seats as well as reduction of upgrade instruments, makes sure there will be no shortage of Business class seats with the cutbacks.
However Air Canada can get away with this because it has very little competition with a duopoly position, in the Canadian market.
398Y seats on AC's 777W new configuration.
OUCH. There is exactly 0% chance of me flying Y on one of these planes.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 3:24 am

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, VA G
Just a matter of time before this happened
The question will be what config they are purchased with
Old Jan 22, 2015, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by channa

Configurations can be changed, especially for the recently delivered 787-9s, and Panasonic is based in Japan, not Houston.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 8:43 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by why fly

For those of us who wonder how far the airlines can push the idea of "steerage" on long haul flights, the Air Canada 777 HD config is state of the art.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 9:07 am

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
On the Earnings Conference Call, Jeff and Co. stated they are interested in the 777-300ER and they have the ability to convert options to firm orders. However, they stated this will NOT be an incremental aircraft. Two 747s will be leaving the fleet by the end of the year as they are coming up on D Checks. The delivery of the final few 787-9s this year will replace them. No mention of the 787-9s replacing the expected retirement of ten 767s.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 8:38 am

This question is sincere and not snark, I hope. Why does the AC 773 get picked on so much? They are hardly the only carrier to feature 10 across in Y on the 773. EK, EY, AF, KL, and NZ all come to mind as having 10 across in Y.

Again, genuine question as to why AC gets singled out? I've never flown them and certainly won't in that cabin. I wouldn't plan on flying in any cabin that had 10 across unless it could be helped.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.