Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Orders Boeing 777-300ERs / 77Ws w/ 1-2-1 Polaris Business, 3-4-3 Economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2016, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyHighInTheSky

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/inflight/aircraft/777/300/default.aspx
Print Wikipost

UA Orders Boeing 777-300ERs / 77Ws w/ 1-2-1 Polaris Business, 3-4-3 Economy

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2015, 1:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ironmanjt
Ditto for us, and have to imagine it's not uncommon for other large contracts.

Full Y -> C with no instrument
Full J -> F with no instrument
I think the first is usually an easy sell, but do you have many takers on the second?
Old Jan 21, 2015, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by tuolumne
You don't know what you're talking about. The high-profile 744 routes regularly sell-out the entire F-cabin. Ask any UAL employee/retiree how easy it is to NRSA on SFO/ORD/LAX-NRT/HKG/SYD/LHR. Two words: Good Luck.
FWIW, there was a period when I was regularly flying ORD-LHR in F and NSRAs regularly at least equaled revenue pax, including one flight when it was me, three NSRAs, and an empty seat. In fact, the only flight on which I checked the manifest and didn't have at least one NSRA was when UA severely overbooked the flight and bumped two GS's into F.

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Not quite. Through our, and a couple other select agencies, you can buy full J and upgrade to F without using miles/instruments - it's a special arrangement we're able to offer (on LH as well), but as I've written on a few occasions, no matter how we market it, no one will pay full J for UA GF - smart customers understand the value proposition and will either pay deep discount J on another carrier, or our high value customers will just pay discounted F on their preferred foreign carrier. Case in point - I've mentioned it here on numerous occasions, yet not a single FT member has sent me a message asking for information because nobody here is going to pay full J to sit in GF given their more extensive knowledge of the product.
Agreed - even discount F on UA is far cheaper than full fare biz. That's why SWUs were useless for me even in the PMUA days. IMO, Z+copay (and not J/C/D) is the better argument - as I stated in the PMUA days, I certainly won't pay Z to sit in 2-4-2 but I'll consider paying Z for NF.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Virtuoso Travel Agent, Commercial Pilot
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I think the first is usually an easy sell, but do you have many takers on the second?
I've sold the second a few times to customers, though the upgrade from J to F is not the driver of the decision but rather the flexibility and combinability of the full fare tickets. The J->F upgrade was just icing on the cake.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
the streaming movies from your own device and installing power outlets is only a temporary fix as a cheaper option to PTV, I mean what int'l carriers would choose to stream rather than PTV ?
I wouldn't say it's a given that UA will install PTVs.

DL and AA are installing them on all new domestic narrowbodies, but UA is perfectly content being an outlier.

There's no reason UA has to install them on international planes.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by gengar
FWIW, there was a period when I was regularly flying ORD-LHR in F and NSRAs regularly at least equaled revenue pax, including one flight when it was me, three NSRAs, and an empty seat. In fact, the only flight on which I checked the manifest and didn't have at least one NSRA was when UA severely overbooked the flight and bumped two GS's into F.
I should have been more clear. SFO-NRT/HKG, LAX-SYD, SFO-SYD, ORD-HKG, all routes where NRSAs have a very difficult time with F, and where the product frankly works. UA doesn't need the majority of the cabin to buy F fare or even discounted F for the numbers to work.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by tuolumne
I should have been more clear. SFO-NRT/HKG, LAX-SYD, SFO-SYD, ORD-HKG, all routes where NRSAs have a very difficult time with F, and where the product frankly works. UA doesn't need the majority of the cabin to buy F fare or even discounted F for the numbers to work.
Of all those SFO-HKG is the only one where that's consistantly the case. The others, seasonally. However business on all those routes are consistantly full year round. For NRSA, GF is an easier grab than BF
Old Jan 21, 2015, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by channa
There's no reason UA has to install them on international planes.
Sure, except that the company has said a few times that their goal is to have them on the long-haul fleet where at all possible.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sbm12
Sure, except that the company has said a few times that their goal is to have them on the long-haul fleet where at all possible.
And the company never, ever abruptly changes their position on product or misses a "goal".
Old Jan 21, 2015, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
And didn't they also say they would be adding/keeping channel 9 .... how long is it since you could listen to Ch 9?
Old Jan 21, 2015, 6:50 pm

If they were going to remove IFE, why are the 787s delivered with it?
Old Jan 21, 2015, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by worldtrav
And didn't they also say they would be adding/keeping channel 9 .... how long is it since you could listen to Ch 9?
I listened to it for a while last Thursday on the sCO 772 I flew IAH-AMS.
Originally Posted by mduell
And the company never, ever abruptly changes their position on product or misses a "goal".
Of course they can change their mind. But there has been no indication that would happen based on other recent aircraft deliveries or in public comments. The insinuation that in-seat IFE wouldn't happen on new planes seems far less likely than holding the steady course and installing it.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
I actually spoke to Jeff S at the last CO MegaDo in IAH about 5 years ago when he was #2 at CO, and I asked the question about getting more 777's particularly -300s. Of course the answer was it did not make sense to continue to buy old technology, and they were going after stretch 787s (-9 and -10s) to replace its existing 777s.

But this was when there were no delays announced for the 787. Of course, we know what happened and all the issues with the 787. Plus the 787-8 is too small.

DL and AA bought more 777s. I think this is the reality of the situation with the 787 and the need to replace the 747s sooner rather than later.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 8:35 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cova
I think this is the reality of the situation with the 787 and the need to replace the 747s sooner rather than later.
They know how crappy the 744's are in Y. Smisek commented on it several years ago with reference to the OZ flights. That said, it's unlikely the 77W will be much of an upgrade for those stuck in E-. Slimlines, 10 across, and 31" pitch. Personal AVOD doesn't make that seat any less miserable.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cova
I actually spoke to Jeff S at the last CO MegaDo in IAH about 5 years ago when he was #2 at CO, and I asked the question about getting more 777's particularly -300s. Of course the answer was it did not make sense to continue to buy old technology, and they were going after stretch 787s (-9 and -10s) to replace its existing 777s.

But this was when there were no delays announced for the 787.
And the 77W were closer to $200MM than $130MM.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by mduell
And the 77W were closer to $200MM than $130MM.
Very few, if any, airlines ever paid that much for a 77W.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.