Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Orders Boeing 777-300ERs / 77Ws w/ 1-2-1 Polaris Business, 3-4-3 Economy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 9, 2016, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyHighInTheSky

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/inflight/aircraft/777/300/default.aspx
Print Wikipost

UA Orders Boeing 777-300ERs / 77Ws w/ 1-2-1 Polaris Business, 3-4-3 Economy

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2015, 1:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 2MM, AA MM, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by drewguy
1) Having two fleets and two seating plans (well, 3, but you know) creates a lack of flexibility
But also remember if a large airline unifies onto a single seating plan per type, you would end up with some routes that have too much J leading to poor RASM, and some in which you're "leaving money the table"

Actually it would be 4 plans when all said and done :

PMUA 3-class 772
PMCO 2-class 772
Hawaii 777 (recliners)
Domestic 777 (rumored 28 lie flats)
Old Apr 27, 2015, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by SFOflyer33
But also remember if a large airline unifies onto a single seating plan per type, you would end up with some routes that have too much J leading to poor RASM, and some in which you're "leaving money the table"
That is true, although the current diversity doesn't seem to be addressing that well anyway, with some plans devoted to CO routes and some to UA routes, not to mention that the percentage of premium cabin seats is about the same on both UA(F+C)=(Co)C.

If they wanted to address this problem, they would have some planes with larger premium cabins, but available to fly any route.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by Garten
It's funny that no one is even bothering to speculate that the sCO and sUA fleet could be merged within this time period. It's too farfetched even to consider.
And no one seems to be speculating that UA could -- maybe -- introduce a modern direct aisle access J product on the new fleet, even if it affects seating capacity. naaah, that's for DL And AA.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 2:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 2MM, AA MM, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
And no one seems to be speculating that UA could -- maybe -- introduce a modern direct aisle access J product on the new fleet, even if it affects seating capacity. naaah, that's for DL And AA.
Based on all the info I've read, I'm rather confident that 1-2-1 J will appear when the 350 arrives. Whether UA will accelerate it and launch it on the 77W is a 50/50 gamble.

Either the SK one or the AC787/QR350 one is really great.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
I was responding to your previous comment that implied a negative connotation when transitioning from a 744 to a 77E. I was providing examples that it has been done before.

Another possibility would be 2-class 77W going on EWR-HKG, freeing up 2-class PMCO 77E to be placed on either ORD-HKG or SFO-SYD.
I'd be shocked if they moved ORD-HKG and SFO-SYD to 2 cabin routes. HKG/SYD have real paid F traffic and I'd think UA would be smart enough to shift those to 2-cabin last.

My guess is LAX-SYD goes 2-cabin (why bother with a premium product with the horrible ground services there) as well as all EWR pmUA 772 routes, save for maybe LHR which I hear has good F traffic.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K, VA Platinum
Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz
I'd be shocked if they moved ORD-HKG and SFO-SYD to 2 cabin routes. HKG/SYD have real paid F traffic and I'd think UA would be smart enough to shift those to 2-cabin last.

My guess is LAX-SYD goes 2-cabin (why bother with a premium product with the horrible ground services there) as well as all EWR pmUA 772 routes, save for maybe LHR which I hear has good F traffic.
SFO/SYD and LAX/SYD would have to both remain three class, or both switch to two class. The aircraft typically fly SFO-SYD-LAX-SYD-SFO, swapping routes in Sydney.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 10:44 pm

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by UAinAUS
SFO/SYD and LAX/SYD would have to both remain three class, or both switch to two class. The aircraft typically fly SFO-SYD-LAX-SYD-SFO, swapping routes in Sydney.
Great point. I retract my earlier statement RE LAX-SYD. I bet that stays 3-cabin, as it should.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 2:16 am

I posted this in the other thread but I'll post here as well. Proposed configuration of the 77W fleet does not include an F cabin.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Proposed configuration of the 77W fleet does not include an F cabin.
I'm going to have a heart attack and die from not-surprise.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
I posted this in the other thread but I'll post here as well. Proposed configuration of the 77W fleet does not include an F cabin.
Bigger question is, since we all know it will have the standard PMCO biz seats, will it have more than the 50 found on the 772? Or will it become more Y-heavy.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:43 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Bigger question is, since we all know it will have the standard PMCO biz seats, will it have more than the 50 found on the 772? Or will it become more Y-heavy.
He previously posted an expectation that it would have more premium seats. Not clear whether the ratio would be the same.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
We know they're working on the next generation seat, but unclear whether it would be ready in time for these aircraft.

Or of course they could do something radical and simply purchase a state of the art off-the-shelf solution like Cirrus or Solstys which are already approved for this aircraft. (I know, not gonna happen.)
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by TennisNoob
Has UA Confirmed the cabin layout for the 77W's?
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
Based on all the info I've read, I'm rather confident that 1-2-1 J will appear when the 350 arrives. Whether UA will accelerate it and launch it on the 77W is a 50/50 gamble.
An inside source has suggested to me that the LOPA calls for 60 new BF seats which are a product not currently flying on any carrier. And economy will be 3-4-3 throughout, including the E+ cabin.

Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz
I'd bet against SYD converting, at least initially.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Or of course they could do something radical and simply purchase a state of the art off-the-shelf solution like Cirrus or Solstys which are already approved for this aircraft. (I know, not gonna happen.)
But both of those designs are old and installing a product built 5+ years ago is bad, right? I'm sure I've read that once or twice on these forums.

n.b. The link above is to my blog or to one which I am a regular contributor. FT rules require that I disclose that in the post.

Last edited by sbm12; Apr 29, 2015 at 9:08 am
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:54 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JOSECONLSCREW28
Of course not. Why would a two-class of service airline buy a new airplane configured with three classes of service?

Originally Posted by sbm12
But both of those designs are old and installing a product built 5+ years ago is bad, right? I'm sure I've read that once or twice on these forums.
A new design would be nice, but that 5+ year design is far, far superior to the 7+ year design CO/UA seem to like so much (including on its brand new 789s). But, yes, I know you are aware of that.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Of course not. Why would a two-class of service airline buy a new airplane configured with three classes of service?

A new design would be nice, but that 5+ year design is far, far superior to the 7+ year design CO/UA seem to like so much (including on its brand new 789s). But, yes, I know you are aware of that.
I don't have any inside knowledge, but I think we'll see United dump GF, release a new BF seat, introduce a new Premium Econ product, small E+, and E-. I know they've been shopping these ideas with their customer base which leads me to believe a Premium E product is greater than 50%.

However, the only plane where this may make sense is the 77W, and possibly the A350. So I doubt we'll really see this introduced fleet wide.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.