Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Rumples
July 3rd sfo-tpe. Cleared on way back using GPU at booking. Sfo tpe still waitlisted at p9 pn4 pz0.
Originally Posted by Rumples
If im on a w fare with a GPU waiting for a TPAC, should i upfare to an R fare to up my chances since theres a prem plus cabin?
I think you're going to clear. Whether it's worth it to upfare to R depends on the price and your need for PQM.

Originally Posted by DLPhoenix
Cleared at T-24
^
Flight Status Upgrade list: Capacity 50, Booked 35.
Booking fare availability: J9, C9, D0,....
UA views this as fare discipline. They really don't want to sell any cheap seats on that route close-in. The fact this is an Apple heavy route may impact their thinking.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Kacee
UA views this as fare discipline. They really don't want to sell any cheap seats on that route close-in. The fact this is an Apple heavy route may impact their thinking.
It's hard to comment on a specific instance, but there is a legitimate argument here - how many potential purchasers of that ticket are going to blindly pay for a C fare, versus choosing not to fly or trying to find (if it exists) a cheaper OAL ticket? There is revenue lost for everyone who would pay C rates but instead buys a D fare because "the seats would go empty otherwise". We tend to miss this logic a lot when complaining about inventory management.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 8:31 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
It's hard to comment on a specific instance, but there is a legitimate argument here - how many potential purchasers of that ticket are going to blindly pay for a C fare, versus choosing not to fly or trying to find (if it exists) a cheaper OAL ticket? There is revenue lost for everyone who would pay C rates but instead buys a D fare because "the seats would go empty otherwise". We tend to miss this logic a lot when complaining about inventory management.
I think the reason it's legit to criticize is they're using inventory rather than fare rules to enforce an AP requirement. UA does this quite a bit; it's reflective of a fare structure which is incredibly convoluted and often irrational.

It's incredibly frustrating if you're hoping to SDC a P or a Z. Which is a real possibility on PVG, with 2 daily flights from SFO and 1 from LAX.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On UA 87 Tomorrow (6/21).
Booking fare availability: J9, C9, D0,....
Flight Status Upgrade list: Capacity 50, Booked 29.

When will UA release upgrade inventory?
Cleared at T-24

However United did not release discounted business class inventory
Flight Status Upgrade list: Capacity 50, Booked 35.
Booking fare availability: J9, C9, D0,.... Happy Travels
DLP
I think you're going to clear. Whether it's worth it to upfare to R depends on the price and your need for PQM.

^

Why is UA87 PVG-EWR an Apple route? I don't follow Apple closely, but what are they doing in NYC/NJ?

I think the reason it's legit to criticize is they're using inventory rather than fare rules to enforce an AP requirement. UA does this quite a bit; it's reflective of a fare structure which is incredibly convoluted and often irrational.

It's incredibly frustrating if you're hoping to SDC a P or a Z. Which is a real possibility on PVG, with 2 daily flights from SFO and 1 from LAX.
Agreed, and it's also different from how they used to do inventory and fare rules, perhaps two or three years ago. Everyone focuses on the app changes, and fairly (or maybe I should say un-fare-ly ) so, but this is another frustrating way that they've eroded the flexibility of SDC.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:36 am

Programs: Marriott Gold for life
Originally Posted by jsloan

Do you have status?

Business class is booked 11/44. Premium Plus is booked 10/21. Paid Premium Plus customers are supposed to have priority over paid economy customers (although, Global Services instruments would trump that prior to the gate, and might still trump it at the gate also; nobody’s really sure).

I’d say, all signs point to neutral. Thursday can be a popular business travel date; 11/44 is actually pretty high load for three months in advance. However, being on an R fare should help propel you up the list. It’s too early to tell for sure, but it doesn’t look hopeless.
No status, no United Credit Card anymore either... but I can get the credit card if that will help!
Old Jun 20, 2019, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by fumje
Why is UA87 PVG-EWR an Apple route? I don't follow Apple closely, but what are they doing in NYC/NJ?
Sorry, I was thinking of SFO.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CIAO LAX
No status, no United Credit Card anymore either... but I can get the credit card if that will help!
Having the United Club credit card would put you ahead of other Premium Economy R fare passengers without status who also used miles + copay to upgrade, assuming that UA properly implemented the rules they announced. There is a good chance that there is nobody on the flight that meets these criteria, so it is almost certainly a waste of money. I would not bother, because I don’t think they waive the first year annual fee for that particular card (since it includes United Club access).
Old Jun 20, 2019, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sorry, I was thinking of SFO.
Ah. Probably still some kind of corporate traffic behind that strategy, though.

Originally Posted by CIAO LAX
Originally Posted by jsloan

Having the United Club credit card would put you ahead of other Premium Economy R fare passengers without status who also used miles + copay to upgrade, assuming that UA properly implemented the rules they announced. There is a good chance that there is nobody on the flight that meets these criteria, so it is almost certainly a waste of money. I would not bother, because I don’t think they waive the first year annual fee for that particular card (since it includes United Club access).
I think there is sometimes an offer of no first-year AF for the Club card, but I'm not sure if it's targeted. But overall I agree it's not worth getting the card just for that bump in third- or fourth-level sorting priority.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 2:10 pm

Question Need help w/ United Global Services upgrade coupons

I have a friend who flies a ton of miles on United and offered me a global upgrade coupon for my upcoming round trip between SFO and SIN. I booked economy tickets (W fare), and my friend then called Global Services to find out how to apply the coupon to my flight. He was told:
  1. There were plenty of business class seats ("inventory") still available on my flights, but all the seats that could be instantly awarded with a coupon were sold out.
  2. There is still a solid chance that an upgrade would be possible when seats are "released", but they do not know when that will happen.
So, I'm in this potentially awesome situation of getting to fly business class on these really long flights but also this potentially miserable situation of being stuck in regular economy. I normally fly premium economy, so I'm hoping to at least not be worse off than normal.

Questions
  1. Is there a typical timeframe for business class seats to be released? Are we talking the day of the flight, a week before the flight, or a month before the flight?
  2. If I end up not getting a coupon upgrade, would I still have the opportunity to at least pay to upgrade to premium economy (assume there are any seats left)?
  3. If there are no business class seats available for coupon holders, does that also mean I couldn't upgrade to business class using miles, or are mileage upgrades a different category than coupon upgrades?
Appreciate any insight/experiences from anyone who has been in a similar situation.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 2:21 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by danthflyer
I have a friend who flies a ton of miles on United and offered me a global upgrade coupon for my upcoming round trip between SFO and SIN. I booked economy tickets (W fare), and my friend then called Global Services to find out how to apply the coupon to my flight. ...
Appears your GS friend is using Global Premier Upgrade (GPU) cert.

This is given to GS and 1Ks but GS certs (applies to you) clear from a higher priority inventory PN. But if PN=0, you will be waitlisted; at the botom of the GS list as you are not a GS. Still better then the non-GS waitlist.
  1. Originally Posted by danthflyer
    Is there a typical timeframe for business class seats to be released? Are we talking the day of the flight, a week before the flight, or a month before the flight?
    could be any of those or never
  2. Originally Posted by danthflyer
    If I end up not getting a coupon upgrade, would I still have the opportunity to at least pay to upgrade to premium economy (assume there are any seats left)? ...
    maybe , maybe not
  3. Originally Posted by danthflyer
    If there are no business class seats available for coupon holders, does that also mean I couldn't upgrade to business class using miles, or are mileage upgrades a different category than coupon upgrades? ...
    the use of your miles would be much lower priority then the GS GPU.
Some travel information would be helpful in determining your chances of clearing -- timeframe of the trip, day of the week, which SFO-SIN flight, ...exact flight would be even better if you are comfortable providing that info.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
Hi all, currently a Premier Silver. What are my RPU chances on this?

Mon July 15th:
SFO - BOS UA 1865 (757-200) (10:42am - 7:39pm), Q fare.
Available: J9 JN9 C7 D6 Z0 ZN0 P0 PN0 PZ0 IN0
I0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN0 Q5 V0 W0 S0 T0 L0 K0
Currently 16/28 empty seats

Thanks!
Old Jun 22, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by skimlatte87
Hi all, currently a Premier Silver. What are my RPU chances on this?

Mon July 15th:
SFO - BOS UA 1865 (757-200) (10:42am - 7:39pm), Q fare.
Available: J9 JN9 C7 D6 Z0 ZN0 P0 PN0 PZ0 IN0
I0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN0 Q5 V0 W0 S0 T0 L0 K0
Currently 16/28 empty seats
Poor but not impossible.
Monday bad but summer Monday may be slightly better
Much of the seats up front in these flights are purchased in the last week or two -- lots of short notice travel.
Old Jun 22, 2019, 4:14 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
Ah ok I see. Thanks!
Old Jun 22, 2019, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Some travel information would be helpful in determining your chances of clearing -- timeframe of the trip, day of the week, which SFO-SIN flight, ...exact flight would be even better if you are comfortable providing that info.
Sure thing:

03-AUG 2019 UA-1 SFO-SIN (arrives 5-AUG-2019)
15-AUG-2019 UA-2 SIN-SFO

(In case it matters, I have a couple domestic flights that are already upgraded to United First)

As of today (22 JUN/6 weeks out):
  • UA1 still shows 29 business class seats remaining (and ~55 economy plus)
  • UA2 still shows 34 business class seats remaining (and ~75 economy plus)
Old Jun 22, 2019, 5:03 pm

03-AUG 2019 UA-1 SFO-SIN (arrives 5-AUG-2019) ,,,
Likely the tougher of the two due to the day of the week. UA is not offering any discount business fares (D is the lowest), we assume this means they have high hope of selling most of the seats
15-AUG-2019 UA-2 SIN-SFO ...
UA is offering Z fares and this on a Thursday- still, a popular day' Chances are better

Lack of P fares on either is a discouraging sign but 6 weeks out, it's still not clear on the possibilities -- but a GS GPU is the best place you can be. As a lot of bookings are done in the last 2 weeks, it hard to provide a strong set of odds other than UA 2 > UA 1 -- but for a GS GPU, there is always a decent chance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.