Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2019, 6:46 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I think this question would be related to chance of GPU upgrade clearing. Do PZ upgrades have married segment logic? I am looking at some itineraries where PVG-LAX has PZ3 and LAX-ORD has PZ5 but PVG-LAX-ORD shows both flights with PZ0. Would these upgrades clear since each segment has PZ space or would they not clear because of married segment logic and no PZ when together?

I know on DL and AA, you can clear any individual segment with upgrade space available but not too familiar with UA.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
I think this question would be related to chance of GPU upgrade clearing. Do PZ upgrades have married segment logic? I am looking at some itineraries where PVG-LAX has PZ3 and LAX-ORD has PZ5 but PVG-LAX-ORD shows both flights with PZ0. Would these upgrades clear since each segment has PZ space or would they not clear because of married segment logic and no PZ when together?
That's a bit unusual. Is it a single flight number? If different flight numbers, both segments should clear.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
It is not a single flight number. Just take a look at this Friday 6/7, UA 199 PVG-LAX shows PZ3 and UA 2291 LAX-ORD shows PZ3 when searching each market independently. When searching the itinerary as PVG-LAX-ORD using the same flights, I now see PZ1 for each (an hour ago was PZ0). I’m just worried if I book this that it wouldn’t clear since I’ll be traveling with my spouse so need PZ2.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 7:32 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
It is not a single flight number. Just take a look at this Friday 6/7, UA 199 PVG-LAX shows PZ3 and UA 2291 LAX-ORD shows PZ3 when searching each market independently. When searching the itinerary as PVG-LAX-ORD using the same flights, I now see PZ1 for each (an hour ago was PZ0). I’m just worried if I book this that it wouldn’t clear since I’ll be traveling with my spouse so need PZ2.
Book and if it doesn't clear, and you're not comfortable waitlisting, you can cancel for free within 24 hours.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
That's a bit unusual. Is it a single flight number? If different flight numbers, both segments should clear.
It's extremely unusual... to see PZ > 0 on a domestic flight -- especially hub-hub.

Something seems to be going on with PZ space, and I sincerely doubt that we're going to like it. While it's usual to have PZ on a connecting itinerary reflect the least common bucket, I've seen some strange anomalies like this since the introduction of the P+ booking classes last year. (It gets weirder: I'm booked on a flight that's currently J9 JN9 C0 ... PN0 PZ6 IN0. Figure that one out...)

There isn't an obvious way for UA to use married inventory for PZ space whilst still maintaining a waitlist, so I don't know what they have planned, exactly. Until they change the policy, though, the segments should clear automatically based upon the underlying PZ inventory, and, if they don't, I'd call in before somebody else books into that space.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
Something seems to be going on with PZ space, and I sincerely doubt that we're going to like it.
It's all been one big negative since the change from R to PZ.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 1:06 pm

Programs: United
Lhr/lax, 7/3-7/7

Greetings, my situation is as follows: I’m 1K and carrying my 1-yr old (lap child), and booked on the same record locator as my wife and son (all L fare, wife and son have no status).
—Outbound: LHR-LAX, UA935, Wed., July 3, currently booked 37/48
—Return: LAX-LHR, UA923, Sun., July 7, currently booked 18/48.
—The “numbers” according to available fares are not great: J9, JN9, C7, D2, Z0 (outbound), and J9, JN9, C8, D1, Z0 (return)
—I’d be using cash and miles to upgrade

Two questions: 1) thoughts on likelihood of any/both clearing? 2) would all three be upgraded simultaneously (as we’re on same RL) or would it go according to status? (i.e., me before wide&son)

Thank you!
Old Jun 5, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I have been monitoring two flights on 29th June EWR-LHR - UA14 and UA16

I would prefer UA16 as it is a 764 and has the old style seats, however the 2 E+ seats for me and 7YO daughter are all the way back on row 23
UA14 has pairs of P+ , so that flight is preferable IF GPUs do not clear.

So dilemma is, what are chances of either of these flights clearing? I always wait until PZ space is available before booking, but having checked 6 times per day for several weeks, the only movement seems to be W class running out and prices going up. Only going to upgrade outbound for overnight.

IF UA16 had great chance of clearing I will risk that for the preferred older seating, however , if not a great chance, then I will go with UA14 and take the P+ seats and view an upgrade as a bonus.

thx

Chances of UA2080 clearing 11th June ewr -SFO - PN2 , 1K desk says I there are 5 on waitlist with 8 seats , all waiting are 1K. I just booked today so on a fair class of Q (actually doing pbi-ewr-sfo-smf ) but only care about this segment , could this possibly be the first time out of at least 30 times , I have an RPU clear between EWR and SFO/LAX ????????

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 5, 2019 at 9:40 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 7, 2019, 5:46 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by xcalibir
What do you think my chances are of clearing? 1K status.
YYZ-DEN
Tues Jun 11 3:45 to 5:27PM

DEN-BUR
Tues June 11 7 to 8:30PM.
YYZ-DEN ... probably a coin-toss. Lots of SDC action on these flights.
DEN-BUR... probably 90% certain of clearing based on the load and perceived premier load (based on taken seats in Y+)

At least you won't be on the awful CRJ-700 flight from YYZ-DEN that sometimes gets diverted for a fuel stop.

Originally Posted by simonoaks
I have been monitoring two flights on 29th June EWR-LHR - UA14 and UA16

I would prefer UA16 as it is a 764 and has the old style seats, however the 2 E+ seats for me and 7YO daughter are all the way back on row 23
UA14 has pairs of P+ , so that flight is preferable IF GPUs do not clear.

So dilemma is, what are chances of either of these flights clearing? I always wait until PZ space is available before booking, but having checked 6 times per day for several weeks, the only movement seems to be W class running out and prices going up. Only going to upgrade outbound for overnight.

IF UA16 had great chance of clearing I will risk that for the preferred older seating, however , if not a great chance, then I will go with UA14 and take the P+ seats and view an upgrade as a bonus.

thx
I would go with UA16 ... showing PN4... meaning all GS with instruments have cleared. Your chances are good. Probably 70%+ if I had to guess, and I, personally, would be willing to purchase W for that one right now.

Last edited by jjmoore; Jun 7, 2019 at 5:53 am
Old Jun 7, 2019, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by jjmoore
YYZ-DEN ... probably a coin-toss. Lots of SDC action on these flights.
DEN-BUR... probably 90% certain of clearing based on the load and perceived premier load (based on taken seats in Y+)

At least you won't be on the awful CRJ-700 flight from YYZ-DEN that sometimes gets diverted for a fuel stop.

I would go with UA16 ... showing PN4... meaning all GS with instruments have cleared. Your chances are good. Probably 70%+ if I had to guess, and I, personally, would be willing to purchase W for that one right now.
Yes, thanks. Prices have already dramatically gone up in the last week I could have got that flight , returning on 10th July for $2700 for two of us. It is now $3600, so as it is already so high (my actual flight is PBI toLHR ) but only checking EWR to LHR for the uprade probabilities , what is likelihood prices may come down again ? I feel like I have it a threshold and it won't go up anymore as it is already highest I have ever seen in in 5 years flying 4 times per year to UK! Kind of getting pissed at United. I also have a bunch of points that I cannot use as even short domestic flights I might take are 35k each way and what always used to be 35k TACL is not 70k , freaking ridiculous.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 9:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, mLife Platinum
Taking a trip this July, which will require one of the following flights. Which of them do think is most likely to be GPU'able on a Q class fare?

UA935 - LHR-LAX
UA900 - LHR-SFO
UA949 - LHR-SFO
UA59 - FRA-SFO

I'd have said UA935, based on experience it's usually a lighter load, but UA59 might be a good contender too from what I can see.
All routes are equal in terms of timing, it's literally "which one will I be most likely to get the upgrade on?"
Old Jun 7, 2019, 9:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriot Platinum, LH FTl, Hertz PC
I'm on UA998 18th Sept from BRU to EWR and on UA960 5th Oct, together with my wife. I'm a 1K (my with is *0 with LH) and we have booked a W fare. I used GPUs and we are waitlisted for upgrades to PP and Polaris, PZ=0 of course. What to you think ?
Old Jun 7, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Yes, thanks. Prices have already dramatically gone up in the last week I could have got that flight , returning on 10th July for $2700 for two of us. It is now $3600, so as it is already so high (my actual flight is PBI toLHR ) but only checking EWR to LHR for the uprade probabilities , what is likelihood prices may come down again ? I feel like I have it a threshold and it won't go up anymore as it is already highest I have ever seen in in 5 years flying 4 times per year to UK! Kind of getting pissed at United. I also have a bunch of points that I cannot use as even short domestic flights I might take are 35k each way and what always used to be 35k TACL is not 70k , freaking ridiculous.
Prices won't go down. It's high season for these routes. I would buy as soon as possible at this point. If you're in a fare class higher than W, you will likely be near the top of the upgrade list as many 1K's that have purchased tickets already will be booked in W since tickets were cheaper earlier on.

As for award tickets, the way to book in the future is to book as far in advance as possible for the best deals. If there is excess inventory close-in to departure, you may be able to get miles refunded if the deep discount saver awards show up close-in. Booking award tickets is going to be tricky, and as you have seen, very expensive during high season (especially when booked close-in).

Good luck.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by jjmoore
Prices won't go down. It's high season for these routes. I would buy as soon as possible at this point. If you're in a fare class higher than W, you will likely be near the top of the upgrade list as many 1K's that have purchased tickets already will be booked in W since tickets were cheaper earlier on.

As for award tickets, the way to book in the future is to book as far in advance as possible for the best deals. If there is excess inventory close-in to departure, you may be able to get miles refunded if the deep discount saver awards show up close-in. Booking award tickets is going to be tricky, and as you have seen, very expensive during high season (especially when booked close-in).

Good luck.
Ok, thanks....crap , my gut at the time was to immediately grab the $2700 return for two !! I should know better , frankly
Old Jun 7, 2019, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok, thanks....crap , my gut at the time was to immediately grab the $2700 return for two !! I should know better , frankly
If the price drops within the next 24 hours, call and re-ticket.

If it drops within the next 30 days, you can call and ask United for an adjustment. You'll get a travel credit for the difference, less a $50 per ticket administrative fee.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.