Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2019, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Don't search for an upgrade. Do a regular search, as if you were going to buy a new ticket. If this is a connecting flight, only search the overwater leg (e.g., if you're flying AUS-SFO-HKG, search SFO-HKG). Expert Mode will give you a set of inventory information (it looks something like J9 JN9 C9 D6 Z0 ... etc). Look for the value for PZ; if that's non-zero, there should be confirmable space available, and you can ask your friend to call to push the upgrade through.

Note that we're seeing increasingly more reports of agents refusing to cooperate, on the belief that they're combating line-jumping. That would be admirable -- if it weren't for the fact that someone who isn't on the waitlist could waltz in and grab that space by applying a new instrument, which would clear immediately, bypassing the waitlist entirely.
I only seem to get the fare class information if I search for Upgrade Type = "MileagePlus Upgrade Awards (MUA)". If I keep this set to "No Upgrade", I don't see any fare types when I expand the details on the flight results page.

So with that in mind, below is what I see for UA1 on Aug 3. It unfortunately looks like PZ is zero. Also, PN is zero. (For GPU, wouldn't I want PN?)

Last edited by danthflyer; Jul 13, 2019 at 3:59 pm Reason: Added clarification/question
Old Jul 13, 2019, 3:57 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by danthflyer
I only seem to get the fare class information if I search for Upgrade Type = "MileagePlus Upgrade Awards (MUA)". If I keep this set to "No Upgrade", I don't see any fare types when I expand the details on the flight results page.

So with that in mind, here is what I see for UA1 on Aug 3:

I just tested booking this trip without setting the parameter that I want to upgrade and the "Available fare classes" appeared when I expanded the "Details". It always works if you have set your account to "Expert Mode".

Yes, for a GPU from a Global Services friend you are looking for PN>0. For a GPU from a 1K friend you would have to look for PZ>0.

At this point, three weeks out, United only sells high fares: J9 C9 D3. The future flight status site indicates that it's sold 28/48. Most business travelers book their tickets in the last two weeks. And the problem at this time is that you don't know if there are passengers already waitlisted for the PN (and the PZ if your friend is only 1K). What fare did you purchase?

Last edited by StuckinITH; Jul 13, 2019 at 4:19 pm
Old Jul 13, 2019, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's odd. The only place the fare classes don't appear for me is if I do an award search. Are you sure you're signed in?

So with that in mind, below is what I see for UA1 on Aug 3. It unfortunately looks like PZ is zero. Also, PN is zero. (For GPU, wouldn't I want PN?)
I reviewed your earlier note; since your sponsor is Global Services, it is, in fact, PN that you want. 1K GPUs clear into PZ.

Here is the flight status for your flight: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...SO=SFO&FSD=SIN

It's currently booked 30/48. On a GS GPU, I'd say you have maybe a 5% chance of clearing that flight. If you were on a 1K GPU, your chances would be zero. SFO-SIN is one of the most difficult upgrades in the system, even after going to 2x daily, and weekend upgrades are particularly difficult. There's a good chance that UA will sell most, if not all, of the 18 remaining seats between now and departure. Your best bet is for bad weather in SFO to cause some people to misconnect.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by StuckinITH
I just tested booking this trip without setting the parameter that I want to upgrade and the "Available fare classes" appeared when I expanded the "Details". It always works if you have set your account to "Expert Mode".

Yes, for a GPU from a Global Services friend you are looking for PN>0. For a GPU from a 1K friend you would have to look for PZ>0.

At this point, three weeks out, United only sells high fares: J9 C9 D3. The future flight status site indicates that it's sold 28/48. Most business travelers book their tickets in the last two weeks. And the problem at this time is that you don't know if there are passengers already waitlisted for the PN (and the PZ if your friend is only 1K). What fare did you purchase?
I definitely have "Enable expert mode" turned on in Preferences & settings > Special preferences & accommodations, so I'm not sure why I don't see available fare classes under details w/ "no upgrade", but I tried several times, and that's what I observed.

My friend is GS not 1K. The GPU was applied to my tickets on June 4 (only ~8.5 weeks out), so yeah, I may not be the first GS GPU passenger to book.

I started out purchasing a W fare, then I later paid an extra $400 to get Economy Plus seats (I assume this wouldn't have changed my fare class).
Old Jul 13, 2019, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I started out purchasing a W fare, then I later paid an extra $400 to get Economy Plus seats (I assume this wouldn't have changed my fare class).
It doesn’t. It’s a fee, not a fare component.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 5:08 pm

That's odd. The only place the fare classes don't appear for me is if I do an award search. Are you sure you're signed in?
Definitely signed in.

I reviewed your earlier note; since your sponsor is Global Services, it is, in fact, PN that you want.
Thanks for confirming.

Here is the flight status for your flight: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...SO=SFO&FSD=SIN

It's currently booked 30/48.
I'm actually flying on 03 AUG, not 01 AUG. There appear to still be 20 business class seats remaining if I edit your link to https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...SO=SFO&FSD=SIN

There appear to be 22 seats remaining for my return flight (which is https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...SO=SIN&FSD=SFO)

I'm guessing this doesn't improve my odds much, but just wanted to make sure everyone is looking at the correct numbers.

(Side question, is there any way to look these up without manually editing links? The form only lets you input five days into the future.)
Old Jul 13, 2019, 5:50 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum

(Side question, is there any way to look these up without manually editing links? The form only lets you input five days into the future.)
Yes, the future status website is: www.cablepick.net/united
Old Jul 13, 2019, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm actually flying on 03 AUG, not 01 AUG. There appear to still be 20 business class seats remaining if I edit your link to https://www.united.com/web/en-US/app...SO=SFO&FSD=SIN
Sorry about that. . I'm not sure how I got the date wrong, but I clearly did. You're correct; your actual flight is booked 28/48. Unfortunately, as you suspected, that likely doesn't change your outlook much; maybe you have a 10% chance to clear instead of 5%.

As for your spot on the waitlist: within the set of people waitlisted for PN class, it's going to be prioritized by status and then fare class. You're ahead of everyone on a 1K instrument, but you're behind anyone with higher status on a GS instrument, even if they booked after you did.

You can get a rough idea of how confident UA is that they can sell the seats by looking at inventory. Your outbound flight is J9 (JN9) C9 D3 Z0, meaning that they don't think they will have to discount very much in order to sell the tickets (there's no Z or P inventory). Before they would open upgrade space, they'd first open Z, ZN, and P space. JN and ZN are both everyday award classes, so I'll sometimes leave them out for simplicity.

Your return flight is in slightly better shape, at J9 C9 D9 Z0, and Thursday is going to be a better day to try to upgrade than Saturday. This far from departure, though, having more than half the cabin full isn't a great sign. Most business class tickets are purchased within 3 weeks of departure.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Ambassador""
Originally Posted by findark
16J are blocked to accommodate a potential frame swap for a 763 which is not in the high-J configuration, and the flight is also Y1 so could be overbooked in Economy. Rest assured, the upgrade will clear at some point unless they swap back to a 30J 763.
End of story: The 16 J seats were blocked until 90 mins before departure, at which my two sponsored upgrades (#'s 2 and 3 on list) cleared. I believe everyone on waitlist cleared, and flight left with approx 7 or 8 J seats empty.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 11:35 am

Programs: CO Gold
[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight

These are the two flights I am choosing from. I am UA G* trying to use GPU upgrade for Q or V class ticket.

Both flights show PN0. I slightly prefer the date for Flight 2 .

Flight 1: J9JN9C9D9Z8ZN8P7PN0PZ0IN0I0Y9YN9B9M9E9U9H6HN6Q1V0W 0S0T0L0K0G0N9XN0X0

Flight 2: J9JN9C4D0Z0ZN0P0PN0PZ0IN0I0Y9YN9B9M9E9U9H9HN9Q9V9W 0S0T0L0K0G0N9XN0X0

My question is ---Does Flight 1 have a better chance for GPU upgrade than Flight 2? If it is substantially better, then i will stay with Flight 1.

Thanks.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by needHelp
These are the two flights I am choosing from. I am UA G* trying to use GPU upgrade for Q or V class ticket.

Both flights show PN0. I slightly prefer the date for Flight 2 .

Flight 1: J9JN9C9D9Z8ZN8P7PN0PZ0IN0I0Y9YN9B9M9E9U9H6HN6Q1V0W 0S0T0L0K0G0N9XN0X0

Flight 2: J9JN9C4D0Z0ZN0P0PN0PZ0IN0I0Y9YN9B9M9E9U9H9HN9Q9V9W 0S0T0L0K0G0N9XN0X0

My question is ---Does Flight 1 have a better chance for GPU upgrade than Flight 2? If it is substantially better, then i will stay with Flight 1.

Thanks.
From the inventory flight 1 is clearly better. What are the loads (check with cablepick.net/united), and what are the days of week?
Old Jul 15, 2019, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by needHelp
My question is ---Does Flight 1 have a better chance for GPU upgrade than Flight 2?
Without any further information, yes, the chance for flight 1 is substantially better. You've got availability all the way down to P on that flight, whereas flight 2 is zeroed out from D below. I guess UA thinks other people will prefer the date for flight 2 also.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 12:53 pm

Programs: CO Gold
Originally Posted by fumje
From the inventory flight 1 is clearly better. What are the loads (check with cablepick.net/united), and what are the days of week?
Thanks for the tips on checking the loads.

Flight 1: business : 50 Booked: 32
Flight 2: business : 50 Booked: 39

I guess flight 1 it is then!
Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:00 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum
How about UA240 EWR-LAX this Wednesday?
At about T-40 there are 8 unsold J seats, and I’m waitlisting an RPU as a Plat.

My feeling is the chances are slim, but is this more because of last minute J sales, or because of >8 before me on the list?
Old Jul 15, 2019, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mcrw00
My feeling is the chances are slim, but is this more because of last minute J sales, or because of >8 before me on the list?
Both. You probably won't be in the top 8, and they'll sell most / all of those seats between now and departure, including possibly as TODs at check-in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.