Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by findark
Me, I check all my future flights daily, even if I don't have an upgrade request, but that's just habit (and it helps you learn the route)
Yeah I don't understand the question. There are people who don't check every day?
Old Jul 8, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yeah I don't understand the question. There are people who don't check every day?
I was semi-hoping to be told that I was being overly obsessive to check every day, but instead my addiction is being enabled....
Old Jul 8, 2019, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stmvanc
I was semi-hoping to be told that I was being overly obsessive to check every day, but instead my addiction is being enabled....
Once a day is nothing. I generally check at least once an hour if I'm awake.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
There are people who don't check every day?
Months out? I wouldn’t check every day — maybe every week or two. Then again, I rarely have waitlisted instruments, except on legs that I don’t care about that much. The longest has probably been SFO-AUS, and I checked that about once a week. It never cleared. I suppose I might have missed open PZ that somebody else grabbed, but it just wasn’t worth the effort for a 3 1/2 hour flight on a narrowbody.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 4:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Ambassador""
I have a family member traveling with me YN LHR - EWR on 12 July. (I am GS and have already used my privileges to open space for my companion--this query regards an additional family member traveling with me). When I crossed the T -72 hour mark, I called GS and asked if the additional upgrade could be cleared. The agent replied "no", there was only one seat remaining and so the gate agent would have to assign it. I checked the seat availability, which indeed shows one seat available (J1). I know not everyone chooses a seat at or shortly after booking, but united.com shows 16 available seats. (Sorry for no screenshots, but I am having trouble with the website and uploading images.) My question: is UA dribbling out all classes of Polaris seats (revenue and award), or is there really only one seat available? I will keep checking back with GS, but my frequency may decline if chasing a needle in the haystack. Many thanks in advance.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by BeanTownBoy
My question: is UA dribbling out all classes of Polaris seats (revenue and award), or is there really only one seat available? I will keep checking back with GS, but my frequency may decline if chasing a needle in the haystack. Many thanks in advance.
16J are blocked to accommodate a potential frame swap for a 763 which is not in the high-J configuration, and the flight is also Y1 so could be overbooked in Economy. Rest assured, the upgrade will clear at some point unless they swap back to a 30J 763.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 11:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K (2MM); AA LT Gold (1.9 MM); SQ; WN; DL; "Bonvoy Ambassador""
@findark--Thank you! Makes sense.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 12:03 am

The sweeps usually work; if I were you I would check the flight at least once a week just in case, and more frequently if it smells like PZ space is coming (PN9), but on a September FRA flight I wouldn't hold my breath. Me, I check all my future flights daily, even if I don't have an upgrade request, but that's just habit (and it helps you learn the route)
Sorry for the newbie question, but can someone point me to how to check my flights for PZ space? (And what to do if I find a seat?) Thx.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 1:49 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by danthflyer
Sorry for the newbie question, but can someone point me to how to check my flights for PZ space? (And what to do if I find a seat?) Thx.
To see fare class inventory, you need to turn on Expert Mode
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...cket-data.html
in particular follow these instructions
Also Ways to search for upgrade space at booking?

How do you plan to try to upgrade? GPU, RPU, Miles+copay or hoping for CPU?
Old Jul 13, 2019, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
To see fare class inventory, you need to turn on Expert Mode
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...cket-data.html
in particular follow these instructions
Also Ways to search for upgrade space at booking?

How do you plan to try to upgrade? GPU, RPU, Miles+copay or hoping for CPU?
GPU.

Note that I posted my info above a few weeks ago (you were actually the first to respond ):
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...postcount=1272
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...postcount=1277

I was able to turn on expert mode, but I'm not clear from the links what I'm supposed to do next. If I search for my flight, it says "Currently available for use: 0 Regional Premier upgrades, 0 Global Premier upgrades, 0 Award miles."
Old Jul 13, 2019, 1:22 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... I was able to turn on expert mode, but I'm not clear from the links what I'm supposed to do next. If I search for my flight, it says "Currently available for use: 0 Regional Premier upgrades, 0 Global Premier upgrades, 0 Award miles."
If you are using the GPU's of a friend, they have to apply the GPU from their account/ You can not apply their GPUs. You need to provide your friend with the PNR of a booked light (and your names on the ticket).

The message is saying you don't have a GPU in your account.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan

There are several reasons; the main one, though, is fare discipline. If passengers learned that airlines would always lower the price until the seats were sold, they’d be much less likely to buy higher fares; they’d just wait. This would be disastrous for the airlines, because a huge part of their price discrimination strategy is using advance purchase rules to get business travelers to pay more than leisure travelers.

A second reason to provide upgrades to frequent travelers is to try to provide an additional incentive to book UA even when all else is equal — or even when UA is at a disadvantage in terms of convenience, fare, or whatnot.
Majority of United’a Biz cabin is from corporate customers so not sure that makes sense
Old Jul 13, 2019, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by silverforumsurf
Majority of United’a Biz cabin is from corporate customers so not sure that makes sense
If UA followed the suggested strategy, business travelers would get a better price just by default. If something urgent comes up, and I have to fly somewhere, I'm relatively price-insensitive; that's the worst possible time to be giving discounts.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If you are using the GPU's of a friend, they have to apply the GPU from their account/ You can not apply their GPUs. You need to provide your friend with the PNR of a booked light (and your names on the ticket).

The message is saying you don't have a GPU in your account.
My friend has that info and has applied a GPU to my ticket. If I look at my reservation online, it says "Upgrade requested: Your upgrade to United Polaris business has been requested using a Global Premier Upgrade."

I just thought maybe there was a way for me to increase my odds of getting the upgrade by monitoring for eligible seats. I wouldn't want to bother my friend with monitoring, but if something opens up, I could let him know.

Basically, I want to know if this applies to me:

The sweeps usually work; if I were you I would check the flight at least once a week just in case, and more frequently if it smells like PZ space is coming (PN9)...
Old Jul 13, 2019, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wouldn't want to bother my friend with monitoring, but if something opens up, I could let him know.
Don't search for an upgrade. Do a regular search, as if you were going to buy a new ticket. If this is a connecting flight, only search the overwater leg (e.g., if you're flying AUS-SFO-HKG, search SFO-HKG). Expert Mode will give you a set of inventory information (it looks something like J9 JN9 C9 D6 Z0 ... etc). Look for the value for PZ; if that's non-zero, there should be confirmable space available, and you can ask your friend to call to push the upgrade through.

Note that we're seeing increasingly more reports of agents refusing to cooperate, on the belief that they're combating line-jumping. That would be admirable -- if it weren't for the fact that someone who isn't on the waitlist could waltz in and grab that space by applying a new instrument, which would clear immediately, bypassing the waitlist entirely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.