Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2019, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BigE
What do you think my chances are of clearing DEN-HNL-GUM-MNL on a Friday in October as 1k with a GPU on a W fare? Would I have a better chance through SFO instead?
And what about returning on Sunday night MNL-GUM-HNL-IAH? Or is HNL-SFO easier to clear?
Alternatively I could go through TPE, which is a pretty easy upgrade with great seats, but then I'd need to add an economy segment to get from TPE to MNL.
Friday and Sunday upgrades to/from HNL are almost nonexistent. I'd fly through TPE; TPE-MNL is a quick two-hour flight.
Old Jul 21, 2019, 6:11 pm

Programs: UA1MM, *G,HA Premier Club, Hyatt Disc, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTPlat, ClubCarlson Gold, IHG PlatAmb
Generally speaking, is SFO-MUC much easier to clear upgrade than SFO-FRA (as a 1K MM and a 2P companion using GPUs)? We're talking something like Dec 21 (the last weekend before Christmas). How about FRA-SFO or MUC-SFO on Dec 31 (which I could also select something like AMS-IAH-SFO or LHR-SFO)? Any other creative routing ideas with easier chance to upgrade (without making more than 1-2 stops that is)? Background: ultimate destination is ZRH - but I can get intra-European tickets separately for cheap. I think I'm stuck with UA metal if I'm using GPUs (unless I want to gamble with LH availability).

I understand there are TONS of factors involved, just looking for some kind of generalization, and I understand SFO-FRA-SFO are the only ones with real Polaris seats). Much thanks!

Last edited by Jamester; Jul 21, 2019 at 6:14 pm Reason: Typos
Old Jul 21, 2019, 6:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Jamester
I think I'm stuck with UA metal if I'm using GPUs (unless I want to gamble with LH availability).
You're more likely to clear on an LH operated flight.

The days around Christmas and New Years are often very good for TATL upgrades, however December 21 could be a tough one as that's the last weekend before the Christmas holiday.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 7:42 am
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
Flying ord-sfo odds of upgrade for 2

we are both in a w fare class with gpu supported upgrades departing on august 5th on the 6:45 am flight seat map is showing 15 first class seats left companion is not a 1k
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
we are both in a w fare class with gpu supported upgrades departing on august 5th on the 6:45 am flight seat map is showing 15 first class seats left companion is not a 1k
Close to zero, sorry. The first flight of the day on a Monday, hub-to-hub, is likely to have 40+ people on the upgrade list, none of whom may clear. (Today's flight had one person clear at the gate). The flight is J9 C6 D0, meaning UA thinks they can sell the seats at a premium.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
SFO-ORD is one of the toughest upgrades in the entire system. Basically no chance for 1K at business convenient flight times.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: UA 1k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Flying tomorrow PBI-EWR-LAS UA 1298 and 1794. I applied MUA for 15k (figured I would try using miles for this as my miles are now next to useless for ectual travel now ) a few days ago (never use MUAs before). I just thought of a couple of things:
1. What rank is MUA compared to RPUs and GPUs , which I have used in past?
2. If PBI - EWR clears but not EWR-LAS do I lose all the miles? If so, I should call desk and get it changed to just EWR-LAS leg as PBI-EWR not worth it.
3. I am showing no.1 on list , but only 2 seats left on each flight, what are chances of either clearing? If I call the desk, would they be able to tell me where I would be on each list if I removed the MUA ?

thx
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by simonoaks
Flying tomorrow PBI-EWR-LAS UA 1298 and 1794. I applied MUA for 15k (figured I would try using miles for this as my miles are now next to useless for ectual travel now ) a few days ago (never use MUAs before). I just thought of a couple of things:
1. What rank is MUA compared to RPUs and GPUs , which I have used in past?
2. If PBI - EWR clears but not EWR-LAS do I lose all the miles? If so, I should call desk and get it changed to just EWR-LAS leg as PBI-EWR not worth it.
3. I am showing no.1 on list , but only 2 seats left on each flight, what are chances of either clearing? If I call the desk, would they be able to tell me where I would be on each list if I removed the MUA ?

thx
1 - The same
2 - Yes
3 - Low; they probably won't clear any upgrades for anybody. No, they likely won't be able to tell you where you would be on the list if you removed the MUA, and, even if they could, it wouldn't mean anything because it could change at any time.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jsloan
1 - The same
2 - Yes
3 - Low; they probably won't clear any upgrades for anybody. No, they likely won't be able to tell you where you would be on the list if you removed the MUA, and, even if they could, it wouldn't mean anything because it could change at any time.
Ok, Thx ! I will call the desk now and get the MUA removed.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 2:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jsloan
Close to zero, sorry. The first flight of the day on a Monday, hub-to-hub, is likely to have 40+ people on the upgrade list, none of whom may clear. (Today's flight had one person clear at the gate). The flight is J9 C6 D0, meaning UA thinks they can sell the seats at a premium.
i see their is a 787 with lie flats that leaves the night before do you think we would be better off sdc to that flight PN has already opened up
Old Jul 22, 2019, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
i see their is a 787 with lie flats that leaves the night before do you think we would be better off sdc to that flight PN has already opened up
When you are able to SDC, you can transfer the upgrade request if and only if it will be confirmed immediately, so I would check the PZ count when the SDC window opens. Since you are SDCing from a later flight you won't be able to change until after T-24 which means your odds of success would be very poor.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 3:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by findark
When you are able to SDC, you can transfer the upgrade request if and only if it will be confirmed immediately, so I would check the PZ count when the SDC window opens. Since you are SDCing from a later flight you won't be able to change until after T-24 which means your odds of success would be very poor.
ok bummer will probably just stick to the first flight thanks for the help
Old Jul 23, 2019, 3:08 pm
Suspended

Trying to maximize my chances for an upgrade for 2

me and 1 companion are flying from old-sfo on the 6:45 am flight currently the flight looks like this J9 and not using the seat map but the future flight status tool in shows booked 12 of 24 we are using gpus sponsored by a premier 1k
so some flyer talkers have told me that are odds are very low so we were thinking about switching to the flight the night before on a 787 where PN has already opened up i would be appreciative of what you guys think about the 2 of us clearing are upgrades
JN9
C4
D0
Z0
ZN0
P0
PN0
PZ0
IN0
I0
Y9
YN9
B9
M9
E9
U0
H0
HN0
Q0
V0
W0
S0
T0
L0
K0
G0
N9
XN0
X0
Old Jul 23, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM
me and 1 companion are flying from old-sfo on the 6:45 am flight currently the flight looks like this J9 and not using the seat map but the future flight status tool in shows booked 12 of 24 we are using gpus sponsored by a premier 1k
so some flyer talkers have told me that are odds are very low so we were thinking about switching to the flight the night before on a 787 where PN has already opened up i would be appreciative of what you guys think about the 2 of us clearing are upgrades
odds are low unless you are on a high fare and booked early.

Assuming you really are coming from ORD, it makes it even harder... why use a GPU instead of an RPU?

The bigger question is: what tool are you using to tell that 12/24 are already upgrades? I know of no public data out there to show this...
Old Jul 23, 2019, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Your chances remain basically zero on the morning flight. The inventory has gotten even more constricted since you posted it, and they still have nearly two weeks to sell tickets. It is very unlikely that they upgrade anyone.

I don't see a flight the night before on a 787. I do see one on a 777-200. It is showing PN3 -- but you clear into PZ, not PN. Your odds are undoubtedly better on this plane, assuming that they don't swap it out, because they're using an international configuration, not the high-density domestic configuration.

Personally, I would never pay a change fee in order to waitlist an upgrade. If you see PZ2 or greater, then I might be tempted to call and change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.