Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: UA1MM, *G,HA Premier Club, Hyatt Disc, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTPlat, ClubCarlson Gold, IHG PlatAmb
Red face

Originally Posted by Kacee
There are round-trip business class fares on AC/UA/LH into TXL, FRA, ZRH, etc. ranging from $2600-3400 on those dates. You can OJ those itineraries for the same fare. You can also RT into LHR for $2550 on AC. Do you use googleflights?
I sure did Kacee - the AC flight (SFO-FRA-ZRH) passes through Toronto (and like a 6-7 hour layover) - and saw another SFO-FRA-ZRH on UA/LH (tickets sold by LH) and ZRH-SFO on LX - all Biz for $3409+tax. Sounds like I'm still better off - found my fare on united.com (so at least getting the 11x bonus miles). If anyone can speak for the LHR-SFO upgrade chance above, that would be awesome. Happy Friday & thanks again!
Old Jul 26, 2019, 11:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Jamester
If anyone can speak for the LHR-SFO upgrade chance above, that would be awesome. Happy Friday & thanks again!
NYE is generally a good day for upgrades. But five months out it's really impossible to make a meaningful prediction on any specific flight. So it would certainly be my preference to purchase confirmed business class for $200 more. The fares quoted above can be purchased on the UA website via link from googleflights.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 4:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
posted previously

already posted but wondering if odds have improved still J9 ,going old-sfo 2 people gpu supported upgrade (also wondering do gpus have higher priority than rpus)we have no status and its the 6:45 am flight
Old Jul 28, 2019, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
already posted but wondering if odds have improved still J9 ,going old-sfo 2 people gpu supported upgrade (also wondering do gpus have higher priority than rpus)we have no status and its the 6:45 am flight
GPUs and RPUs have the same priority. The priority order is Global Services members, then all instruments, prioritized by status.

The flight is J9 C3 D0, and there appear to be ten unassigned seats in the cabin. Your odds aren't getting better; if anything, they're getting worse, although they were minuscule to begin with. If you really have no status (despite your username), it probably wouldn't even matter if they stopped selling tickets, because you probably wouldn't be in the top ten of the upgrade list.

I know it's not the answer you were hoping for, but they really will sell those seats, either to people flying ORD-SFO, or to people flying CDG-ORD-SFO or ORD-SFO-SIN or whatnot. If they have any left over, they will sell them at check-in.

ETA: Your odds might be better on the 777 the night before -- but unfortunately, I don't think that's going to matter. That flight is nearly full in economy, so the chance that you will have the opportunity to change to it is very small -- and they will already have upgraded some passengers by that point anyway.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 8:04 pm

Deleted. Friend said he's use his GPUs for us so my question is moot.

Last edited by smiles33; Jul 28, 2019 at 8:35 pm
Old Jul 28, 2019, 8:10 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by smiles33
He had said he could call Global Services to ask them to plan it out.
As GS, your friend can book awards in ways mere mortals cannot.

We're looking at a Wed night departure (UA 1) and could return Saturday, Sunday, or Monday (UA 28). What would you do? Wait-list on UA or go with Singapore Air and decline our friend's generous offer?
I can't advise you on the relationship question, but I personally would never risk 16 hours in Y on a UA 789.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 8:36 pm

Oh, thanks for the quick reply. I just deleted my post because he wrote to me that he has several "Global upgrades" to use and is going to call Global Services for us. So I'll just wait and see what he can come up with!
Old Jul 28, 2019, 11:05 pm

Oh, thanks for the quick reply. I just deleted my post because he wrote to me that he has several "Global upgrades" to use and is going to call Global Services for us. So I'll just wait and see what he can come up with!
GS can upgrade award tix. You'll still need PN inventory.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus Premier Platinum
I used miles+copay for ICN-SFO, it was PZ9, IN6. After I upgraded, it is now PZ9, IN5. Coincidence that IN became 5, and PZ was actually >9?
Old Jul 29, 2019, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gusd
I used miles+copay for ICN-SFO, it was PZ9, IN6. After I upgraded, it is now PZ9, IN5. Coincidence that IN became 5, and PZ was actually >9?
No coincidence that IN became 5 -- taking an upgrade seat often reduces award availability, as does the reverse. And, yes, they were probably willing to open more than 9 PZ seats on that flight.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 3:02 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
GS can upgrade award tix. You'll still need PN inventory.
This probably been asked and answered but is a pax flying on an GS award ticket (not with GS pax) cpu eligible? Now on the return the pax is flying with me and I understand we are then both cpu eligible.

Last edited by nomad420; Jul 29, 2019 at 3:10 pm
Old Jul 31, 2019, 6:08 pm

Anyone have experience with ewr to dub route?

UA gold status on R fare. MUA reward. Thoughts?

Old Jul 31, 2019, 11:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Chances of EWR-MAD upgrade

Flying EWR-MAD on Oct 3 (Thursday)
1K, V fare, GPU waitlisted
Current equipment is 777-200, with 2 cabins, 28 Polaris seats. Assume upgrade is very unlikely (8 seats already booked on seat map).
1K Desk says TATL equipment gradually being re-configured, likely will be 3 cabins by Oct (44 Polaris, 21 Premium plus). It’s a red-eye, so upgrade would be very welcome.

Any idea of the timeline for refitting planes on this route?
With expanded Polaris, PP seating, should I consider upgrading to Q fare class to improve priority for upgrade?
Old Aug 1, 2019, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by optimom
Flying EWR-MAD on Oct 3 (Thursday)
1K, V fare, GPU waitlisted
Current equipment is 777-200, with 2 cabins, 28 Polaris seats. Assume upgrade is very unlikely (8 seats already booked on seat map).
1K Desk says TATL equipment gradually being re-configured, likely will be 3 cabins by Oct (44 Polaris, 21 Premium plus). It’s a red-eye, so upgrade would be very welcome.
That's bad information. EWR-MAD is currently a 77G route. Those aircraft are not being reconfigured. I did read somewhere though that the 77Gs will be replaced on this route with 764 or 763 after the summer season is over. That will make the upgrade odds slightly less awful (but still not very good). It's also good news if you get stuck in Y, as the 763/64 are the most comfortable Y cabins in the UA fleet.
Originally Posted by optimom
With expanded Polaris, PP seating, should I consider upgrading to Q fare class to improve priority for upgrade?
I would not ever recommend an upfare within the same cabin in the *hope* of increasing upgrade odds - that's the epitome of good money after bad.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 1:02 am

Programs: UA1MM, *G,HA Premier Club, Hyatt Disc, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTPlat, ClubCarlson Gold, IHG PlatAmb
Hi all - let me know what you think of this one..

Post Thanksgiving Saturday - SFO-SYD UA 863. Current standing: J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z0 ZN0 P0 PN0 PZ0 IN0 I0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L9 K9 G9 N9 XN9 X9. 46 (out of 48) C seats unassigned, 787 Dreamliner.

Friday after - SYD-SFO UA 870. Current standing: J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z0 ZN0 P0 PN0 PZ0 IN0 I0 Y9 YN9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 HN9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L0 K0 G0 N9 XN0 X0. Also 46 (out of 48) C seats unassigned, 787 Dreamliner.

Alas, as you can tell, no Premium Economy on these Dreamliners.

1K Million Miler flying solo, hoping to use GPUs. Q fare already selected. Haven't done a SYD run in many many years so I forget what it's like. I know this is still almost 4 months out, just trying to gauge if it's worth trying.

Thx as always!

Last edited by Jamester; Aug 1, 2019 at 1:04 am Reason: Formatting

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.