Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

[Consolidated] Chance of upgrade clearing on my flight {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2019, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stmvanc
Yes, we are on the same PNR, so it's nice to hear that we'll both get 1K priority. My experience with CPUs is that United (without asking or notifying us) tends to split our PNR in the last day or two so they can consider our upgrades separately. Will they do the same for a GPU? Do we get a choice?
Yes, they will split your reservation if you haven't cleared by T-24. No, they won't give you a choice. The only way to avoid it is to call and cancel the GPU at least 24 hours prior to departure.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: 1K 2.2MM
Originally Posted by Kacee
1. The odds of clearing SFO-FRA in September are not great, but not hopeless. 1K on an R at least has some chance.
2. You may have a hard time SDC'ing because there's a partner segment on that itinerary (FRA-TXL).
3. September is relatively low risk for weather-related ATC at SFO, so one of the two months (along with October) that I'd say it's probably okay to go with the shorter connection. You'd have to pay a change fee to make that change though, and it will likely cause the entire ticket to reprice.
Note for all concerned....sfo has planned runway work for September and all airlines expect major delays then. Take the longer connection
Old Jun 30, 2019, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stmvanc
Yes, we are on the same PNR, so it's nice to hear that we'll both get 1K priority. My experience with CPUs is that United (without asking or notifying us) tends to split our PNR in the last day or two so they can consider our upgrades separately. Will they do the same for a GPU? Do we get a choice?

In looking more closely at the alternatives in case we don't get upgraded to real Polaris on our outbound SFO-FRA flight, I see that there is a second, later SFO-FRA flight which also has real Polaris on 23 September, so I could try to SDC to that flight if the earlier SFO-FRA flight's Polaris is full, though there would still be the hurdle that that would involve also changing the non-UA FRA-TXL LH flight at the end, as Kacee helpfully pointed out.

Also, our return routing is CDG-EWR-DEN-YVR (we'll do TXL-CDG separately; EWR-DEN in PP). Our eastbound flights YVR-SFO-FRA-TXL (SFO-DEN in PP) are listed on the website as "Upgrade requested", whereas our westbound flights are listed as "Waitlisted"; United has decremented the two GPUs from my account for both directions. Should I be concerned about this difference, and, if so, is it better to be in the "Upgrade requested" or "Waitlisted" state? (FWIW, this reservation was quite complicated to do - more than an hour on the phone with a 1K agent, as it took many tries to get it to price out.)
As jsloan already answered, you'd need to call to remove the uncleared requests at check-in if you don't want to split. However, note that if you split, you should both still have 1K priority.

I'm unfamiliar with your usage of PP there. I think usually that refers to Premium Economy ('Premium Plus'), which wouldn't be offered for EWR-DEN or SFO-DEN. But in any case, for your 'waitlisted' upgrade segments, as long as all the details match for flight number/time/aircraft between both the confirmed economy and waitlisted business segments, my feeling is there's nothing to worry about. You can be proactive if you like and call to ask an agent to make sure everything is in sync / no unacknowledged schedule changes.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA, AS, Marriott
Flying SFO-FRA-BOM and back. Booked in R with SFO-FRA on UA and FRA-BOM on LH.

Ms. esquiar is a 1K applied GPUs to SFO-FRA legs. The return cleared, so we're only waiting on the outbound ex-SFO, on 14 January '20, a Tuesday.

1) UA 58 (SFO-FRA) currently sits at P9 PN0. What are chances of it clearing? Forward cabin only has 4 seats assigned presently.
2) We appear to be earning only 1 PQS / 100% PQM on the FRA-BOM segments. I believe that means they booked into LH N, so those segments are not eligible for GPU. Is that correct?
Old Jun 30, 2019, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by esquiar
1) UA 58 (SFO-FRA) currently sits at P9 PN0. What are chances of it clearing? Forward cabin only has 4 seats assigned presently.
It's way too soon to tell, but P9 PN0 PZ0 isn't bad. P9 PN9 PZ0 would be better, of course. On an R fare, you'd be ahead of Y passengers looking to upgrade, but behind 1Ks on O or A fares.

Originally Posted by esquiar
2) We appear to be earning only 1 PQS / 100% PQM on the FRA-BOM segments. I believe that means they booked into LH N, so those segments are not eligible for GPU. Is that correct?
Yes on both counts. UA R maps to LH N, assuming you're on a codeshare on FRA-BOM. (If you're not on a codeshare, then it should show you the LH fare class on you receipt).
Old Jul 1, 2019, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA Plat
While its a short flight and not getting upgrade isn't the end of the world I am curious if I am reading this right.I am flying from IAH-DCA on the fourth of July. I am Plat with a companion both relying on an CPU. Wife is on a separate itinerary using an RPU.

1. Does this mean they have over sold economy by 7? There are 12 business class seats available on the plane 1 has been bought. 11-7 explains the J4.
2. Can you buy business class without an assigned seat? I understand you can with economy.
3. What do you think the chances all three of us get upgraded? Wife on an RPU should be highest priority of the three of us.

• Available fare classes:
  • J4 JN4 C4 D4 Z4 ZN4 P4 PN0 PZ0 IN0 I0 Y3 YN3 B3 M3 E0 U0 H0 HN0 Q0 V0 W0 S0 T0 L0 K0 G0 N3 XN0 X0
Old Jul 1, 2019, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pong1092
1. Does this mean they have over sold economy by 7? There are 12 business class seats available on the plane 1 has been bought. 11-7 explains the J4.
That's generally what it means, yes.
2. Can you buy business class without an assigned seat? I understand you can with economy.
You can, but the flight status page for this page indicates that there's only one person seated up front.

3. What do you think the chances all three of us get upgraded? Wife on an RPU should be highest priority of the three of us.
99.9%. The only way you don't clear is if there are major IRROPS on Wednesday, canceling a bunch of flights to DC.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 6:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
What do you think the chances all three of us get upgraded? Wife on an RPU should be highest priority of the three of us.
The oversale in Y, which prevents UA from selling all the F seats, enhances your odds (which were already pretty good on July 4).
Old Jul 1, 2019, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan

You can, but the flight status page for this page indicates that there's only one person seated up front.
Thanks for the info. How did you get the flight status? Last day I see on United.com website is 7/3
Old Jul 1, 2019, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for the info. How did you get the flight status? Last day I see on United.com website is 7/3
https://cablepick.net/united allows you to get the UA flight status page for any future flight.
Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Great thread! Love reading about capacity trends here.

Thoughts on PZ space opening SFO-ICN? I have been watching daily and have seen PN>0 over the past 5 days open and close. Flight status tool shows business cabin 4 booked of 50 seats today. I have no status.

Flight: UA805
Route: SFO-ICN
Depart: Saturday, Aug 17, 5:25 pm
Aircraft: 777-200 (Retrofit)

J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z9 ZN9 P9 PN0 PZ0 IN0 I0
Old Jul 1, 2019, 10:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by brodayo
Thoughts on PZ space opening SFO-ICN? I have been watching daily and have seen PN>0 over the past 5 days open and close. Flight status tool shows business cabin 4 booked of 50 seats today. I have no status.

Flight: UA805
Route: SFO-ICN
Depart: Saturday, Aug 17, 5:25 pm
Aircraft: 777-200 (Retrofit)

J9 JN9 C9 D9 Z9 ZN9 P9 PN0 PZ0 IN0 I0
Are you waitlisted? Very good odds of PZ opening booked 4/50 six weeks out.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 6:12 am

My flight is now on week away, from EWR to LAS on 7/9/19 on UA 1794. (We both have separate reservations booked in economy (T).)

Can anyone advise on if you believe mileage upgrade seats from economy to first will open in the next few days for this flight? Currently, for mileage plus copay it is waitlist only.

Thanks for the help.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by ContinentalSilver11
My flight is now on week away, from EWR to LAS on 7/9/19 on UA 1794. (We both have separate reservations booked in economy (T).)

Can anyone advise on if you believe mileage upgrade seats from economy to first will open in the next few days for this flight? Currently, for mileage plus copay it is waitlist only.

Thanks for the help.
What is the cash buyup? Especially with a co-pay, using miles to upgrade a domestic flight is a horrible deal.

I'd give 40% odds for a waitlisted upgrade clearing, and about 10% odds for seeing available PZ.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 9:58 am

Programs: UA, Marriott, SPG, Hyatt, Hilton, Omni
Originally Posted by jsloan
Sure, which is why UA has less lift to ZRH than to LHR, and why there's less competition overall. However, they generally do a pretty good job of selling what they fly. In fact, EWR-GVA and EWR-ZRH, along with EWR-LHR, were some of the markets rumored to be in line for regular high-J 763 service, as the premium demand often outstrips the economy demand.

I'm not saying that you won't clear -- you certainly might, and traveling on the holiday should help. (In fact, I was able to book a last-minute Business Saver award on ZRH-EWR last November, so it's not like they always sell every seat. But with a week to go, and only 6 seats, and the possibility of people buying upgrades at check-in, realistically you may be hoping for some misconnects.

I've been checking daily and J6 went to J7 then to J6 then to J5 as of last night. This morning, with 2 days until my flight, it was still J5 but then wow I saw a hallowed PZ1 so called 1k desk and they applied my existing GPU on the reservation to clear my upgrade. The customer service agent said it was odd that with a PZ seat opening up that my upgrade didn't clear automatically. Is that correct? I thought I read on FT forums that you have to manually call in for the upgrade and it doesn't happen automatically.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 2, 2019 at 1:19 pm Reason: repaired quote

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.