Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2015, 10:14 pm

Programs: Lifetime Plat Spg, 1K UA
2 out of 3

2 out of 3 of my GF flights to Australia in the last year, DFW - SYD missed connections due to mechanical, once in IAH, today in ORD, stuck overnight each time. Each time lost guaranteed night at hotel and change fee for domestic Australian flight, average cost $650 AUS. Last time United gave me $500. Why am I spending $16k for a ticket if they can't get me there on time? My daily billable is many, many multiples of what united offered last time. I think it is simply time to jump ship and go with Quantas, never have done the 380! FYI
1K, 2MM

Last edited by andres21st; Mar 1, 2015 at 10:16 pm Reason: Adding info
Old Mar 1, 2015, 10:34 pm

Programs: LH FTL, UA 1K MM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by andres21st
go with Quantas
Old Mar 2, 2015, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by andres21st
2 out of 3 of my GF flights to Australia in the last year, DFW - SYD missed connections due to mechanical, once in IAH, today in ORD, stuck overnight each time. Each time lost guaranteed night at hotel and change fee for domestic Australian flight, average cost $650 AUS. Last time United gave me $500. Why am I spending $16k for a ticket if they can't get me there on time? My daily billable is many, many multiples of what united offered last time. I think it is simply time to jump ship and go with Quantas, never have done the 380! FYI
1K, 2MM
With that kind of spend, why would you ever stay with UA and its inferior hard and soft product?!?!
Old Mar 4, 2015, 8:06 pm

3,500 miles for non-existent WiFi on a PS flight, which I was happy to accept as I didn't request any compensation and simply wrote in noting that I was disappointed it was missing.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
$200 e-cert or 10,000 miles for 3 hour delay EWR-PEK for 1K.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 5:04 pm

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty
What is standard response to malfunctioning F seat?

Took a First class flight from IDA to BRU and the seat was busted.
What sort of compensation should I expect?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 5:21 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Did the FAs give you a skykit? Or did they just tell you to write in online?

I'd expect something like 7000 miles or so, based on past experiences of my own. You could get anywhere from nada to 30k miles IME for an issue affecting a premium cabin international flight.

You might browse the 2015 Compensation Thread or the one for 2014 or 2013 for any similar cases.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 5:28 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by 100,000miler
Took a First class flight from IDA to BRU and the seat was busted.
What sort of compensation should I expect?
Do you mean IAD to BRU? How was it busted? If you could not recline it for an overnight flight that should be at least the value of 20K miles. Were you on an award or an UG? If on an award I would definately expect miles back in to your account. If you used miles to UG from J I would look for those to be refunded to you.

Was it busted through out the whole flight? If not UA may prorate the compensation.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 7:54 am

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Is there any compensation due when I get a confirmed upgrade, via CPU, and then when the aircraft gets downgraded I pushed back to coach (or into limbo)? This appears to be happening with UA1509 on Saturday. Originally 777 and now it looks like it going to be a 757.

Right now I have no seat assignment and the seat map shows full when I attempt to get me a seat. Probably cause my reservation still show R and not my previous class (Q?). Just spent 30 minutes on the phone with UA and the agent(s) I spoke too can't do anything about seats either.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by drowelf
Is there any compensation due when I get a confirmed upgrade, via CPU, and then when the aircraft gets downgraded I pushed back to coach (or into limbo)? This appears to be happening with UA1509 on Saturday. Originally 777 and now it looks like it going to be a 757.

Right now I have no seat assignment and the seat map shows full when I attempt to get me a seat. Probably cause my reservation still show R and not my previous class (Q?). Just spent 30 minutes on the phone with UA and the agent(s) I spoke too can't do anything about seats either.
There's a thread about it, but so long as you had a confirmed seat assignment, you should be golden and should get downgrade compensation based on the duration of the flight. If you were confirmed but lacking a seat assignment, there's some squishiness involved (IIRC, some folks have said no compensation, and others have said downgrade comp should still apply).

You will have to fight for any compensation IME; GAs will claim it was "a free upgrade, anyway" or the like. But if you were confirmed with a seat, they're supposed to treat it as a downgrade regardless of how you got into that seat (CPU, miles, cash upgrade, etc.).
Old Mar 6, 2015, 11:21 am

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by exerda
There's a thread about it, but so long as you had a confirmed seat assignment, you should be golden and should get downgrade compensation based on the duration of the flight. If you were confirmed but lacking a seat assignment, there's some squishiness involved (IIRC, some folks have said no compensation, and others have said downgrade comp should still apply).

You will have to fight for any compensation IME; GAs will claim it was "a free upgrade, anyway" or the like. But if you were confirmed with a seat, they're supposed to treat it as a downgrade regardless of how you got into that seat (CPU, miles, cash upgrade, etc.).
Well I've got an email with a confirmed seat assignment and a screen shot showing me with a confirmed upgrade. The bigger issue for me right now, is that I have no seat assignment on the new flight and my boarding pass says See Agent. Maybe I'll end up IDB'd and score some real $$$. Considering that this went from a 80% full 777 to a 757 means there are probably a lot of passengers not getting on this flight tomorrow.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by drowelf
Well I've got an email with a confirmed seat assignment and a screen shot showing me with a confirmed upgrade. The bigger issue for me right now, is that I have no seat assignment on the new flight and my boarding pass says See Agent. Maybe I'll end up IDB'd and score some real $$$. Considering that this went from a 80% full 777 to a 757 means there are probably a lot of passengers not getting on this flight tomorrow.
Had that happen at DEN once where they went from the old high-density 767 config to a 752 at the gate... lots of unhappy folks that day who either missed the flight altogether or who got downgraded (admittedly from domestic F, but still...).
Old Mar 6, 2015, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
The past couple of times I have used the customer appreciation website - it errors out at the end after showing the compensation options. Anyone else experiencing this?
Old Mar 7, 2015, 2:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Priority Platinum, Marriot Gold, Delta Platinum
Just got off UA51 no entertainment system... Got email and saw offer: 1250 miles or $25 e-cert... Feel very insulted this is the compensation they are willing to offer...

Any suggestions on what would be appropriate?
Old Mar 7, 2015, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by SJOFlyer
Just got off UA51 no entertainment system... Got email and saw offer: 1250 miles or $25 e-cert... Feel very insulted this is the compensation they are willing to offer...

Any suggestions on what would be appropriate?
business or coach? In coach I'd say $100 for a 1K and in business twice that

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.