Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2015, 11:13 am

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat, US CP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by DynaMo13
Last night, the light wasn't working (I usually don't mind it but this time I was working on a presentation and I really need the light). I told the FA, he said he would file an issue. Did not provide any kind of confirmation. Should I have pressed the issue and gotten an appreciation card?

Today I did send a note to customer service about it. Should I expect something or is it a lost cause?
Nothing..just a email saying that sorry it sucks for you but here is an email you can feel happy about.

Sure enough, light out again in First. Complained let's see how far it went.

If anyone has any advice on pressing the issue and making sure an appreciation card is given?
Old Mar 16, 2015, 1:09 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by exerda
But here they have now given me comp twice for (mostly) one issue--albeit I did send a later complaint about the lack of response, too.
And the bigger deal was that because of this baggage issue, I held back on complaining about several other issues with the flight so as not to come across as a complainer. Yes, the bags were the worst of the problems, particularly when UA told me I could come back to pick them up at 9:30pm, that they were on the flight due to land at 8:50pm (which was 2/3 of the way to IAD), yet they weren't, etc.

But because of that problem--and it taking multiple e-mails to resolve the complaint!--I did not mention any of the other issues. Sigh.

I do try to congratulate good service on UA when I can, so I don't come across as a one-sided complaints-only guy, but sometimes UA really makes it hard.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA Gold
EWR-EDI.

8 pm flight delayed past midnight due to mechanical issues. Left after an equipment swap.

$100 compensation unsolicited - United e-mailed with apology and the offer for $100 or 5,000 miles (I think). United Silver at the time.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by DynaMo13
Nothing..just a email saying that sorry it sucks for you but here is an email you can feel happy about.

Sure enough, light out again in First. Complained let's see how far it went.

If anyone has any advice on pressing the issue and making sure an appreciation card is given?
You expect to get to your destination AND have a completely functioning seat?!?! Clearly you are one of the over-entitled elites.

If you bought the seat to work on a report and it did not meet the specifications in the description, you have two options...

1. Complain to United. Be specific about why you bought the seat, how it damaged you and be clear about what you want. (e.g. $100 cert) United will decide what you deserve.

2. Dispute the charge on your credit card. Be specific about how the 'product' was defective. Your credit card issuer - not United - then becomes the arbitrator.

You have to decide how far you want to push this and what your time is worth.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 11:25 am

UA only offer same 7500-mile compensation for 14-hour delay or onboard TV malfunction

My father was stranded in Tokyo because of a United Airlines 747-400
MX problem. UA put him up at an airport hotel and provided dinner and
breakfast. They gave him 7500 miles as compensation. He arrived at
his destination 14+ hours later than originally scheduled.

On the return flight, the entire 747-400's entertainment system broke.
The FAs were unable to fix it. For the 13-hour nonstop flight, nobody could
watch anything... not even on their own iPads(via UA's personal device
entertainment system). Guess what, UA offered the same 7500-mile
compensation.

Considering how hard it is to earn reward miles after March 1, I guess
7500-mile compensation is nothing to sneeze at. However, I just wonder
if it's fair to receive the same compensation for a huge delay or for an
entertainment system malfunction.

Way back when I was 8 years old and flying on UA as UM, a FA spilled
OJ on me. All I got as compensation was a kiss on the cheek. (before
you get too excited, the FA was older than my own grandmother)
This was back in the 1970s.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 11:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Gold, mLife Platinum
That seems a bit low for what is likely to be a TPAC delay.
I'm quite sure LHR-IAH have given us a choice of 12,500 miles or 20% off for a shorter MX delay
Old Mar 17, 2015, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by skycrab
That seems a bit low for what is likely to be a TPAC delay.
I'm quite sure LHR-IAH have given us a choice of 12,500 miles or 20% off for a shorter MX delay
so my father should contact UA again and request at least another 5000 miles for the 14+ hours of delay?
Old Mar 17, 2015, 11:50 am

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by Tor Viking
FRA-EWR
Economy
The audio was all dodgy as the sound only worked in one headphone.
Emailed 1K and received 6000 miles.
6,000?! Our entire cabin had no working seatback entertainment EWR>LHR, and I was only offered 1,250. I'm a Gold. I can understand giving a 1K a bit more as a reward for loyalty, but 5x more?

Old Mar 17, 2015, 11:57 am

Originally Posted by Eric Westby
6,000?! Our entire cabin had no working seatback entertainment EWR>LHR, and I was only offered 1,250. I'm a Gold. I can understand giving a 1K a bit more as a reward for loyalty, but 5x more?

See post#260.... my father was also Gold. On the 13-hour TPAC flight, the personal device entertainment for the entire 747-400 went kaput.

He received 7500 compensation miles for having not being to watch UA stuff on his iPad.

By comparison, he received about 1700 reward miles on this same TPAC flight thank to UA's new way of calculating miles after March 1.(as a Gold member on L fare)

Is it just me or is that a little ridiculous, no? Kind of makes me wish that every UA TPAC/TATAL flight has non-working personal device entertainment system?

Last edited by AppleApe; Mar 17, 2015 at 12:12 pm
Old Mar 17, 2015, 12:26 pm

Programs: DL 4MM/PM, UA 1MM/Gold, AA Paper
IFE audio not working on a TATL 767-300 for both me and Ms. OrlandoFlyer about 10 days ago. Offered 7500miles each or $150 travel credit. Took the miles.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by OrlandoFlyer
IFE audio not working on a TATL 767-300 for both me and Ms. OrlandoFlyer about 10 days ago. Offered 7500miles each or $150 travel credit. Took the miles.
I told my father to select 7500 miles instead of $150 credit both times,
so he now has an extra 15000 miles. If he had chosen the $150 credit,
how long was it good for? A year? The reason I'm asking is that he does
fly UA, so $150 credit is as good as cash... but then again, was 7500
miles a better deal?(since he is a few thousand miles short of a first class
TPAC award ticket)
Old Mar 17, 2015, 1:29 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by AppleApe
I told my father to select 7500 miles instead of $150 credit both times,
so he now has an extra 15000 miles. If he had chosen the $150 credit,
how long was it good for? A year? The reason I'm asking is that he does
fly UA, so $150 credit is as good as cash... but then again, was 7500
miles a better deal?(since he is a few thousand miles short of a first class
TPAC award ticket)
The voucher is good for a year, and can be used for anyone's future ticket on UA.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 3:28 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat, US CP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by 110pgl
You expect to get to your destination AND have a completely functioning seat?!?! Clearly you are one of the over-entitled elites.

If you bought the seat to work on a report and it did not meet the specifications in the description, you have two options...

1. Complain to United. Be specific about why you bought the seat, how it damaged you and be clear about what you want. (e.g. $100 cert) United will decide what you deserve.

2. Dispute the charge on your credit card. Be specific about how the 'product' was defective. Your credit card issuer - not United - then becomes the arbitrator.

You have to decide how far you want to push this and what your time is worth.
Thanks, will have to think about 1. I am a very low maintenance (or may be I have just lowered my expectations) so I would hate to go 2 route.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 5:09 pm

just out of curiosity and because I'm too sleepy to read all 300 earlier posts...

what's the highest number of miles that UA has voluntarily provided for service issues? (without the passenger having to contact UA first) 10000? 12500? 20000? 1,000,000?
Old Mar 17, 2015, 6:12 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by AppleApe
See post#260.... my father was also Gold. On the 13-hour TPAC flight, the personal device entertainment for the entire 747-400 went kaput.

He received 7500 compensation miles for having not being to watch UA stuff on his iPad.

By comparison, he received about 1700 reward miles on this same TPAC flight thank to UA's new way of calculating miles after March 1.(as a Gold member on L fare)

Is it just me or is that a little ridiculous, no? Kind of makes me wish that every UA TPAC/TATAL flight has non-working personal device entertainment system?
Thanks to this thread, I just got the extra 5,000 miles I was annoyed about. Thanks, FT. All's well that ends well.

And yes, like yourself, this means I received more miles as compensation for faulty equipment than I did for the entire TATL trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.