Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2015, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by GS8101
Offered 25,000 miles or $500 for a cancelled TPAC (mx and crew timeout).
wow^, unheard of lately.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM; BA S, AA G; AS G; DL | SPG P50, M G, CC G, IHG P, HLT S | Hertz PC, Avis F
Originally Posted by sf4dfish
a friend of mine, with Silver Status, just flew a TPAC flight and the movies did now work for the entire plane. The Purser announced that if they were a MP member, they would get compensation via email. My friend was offered $25 as compensation. He emailed back to customer service saying that, what was offered was a slap in the face, but the reply from MP CS was the $25 was final!
It was in line with PMCO standard. I was once in EWR-GRU PMCO BF and PTV did not work. GRU ground director came to me to offer 3,000 RDM "thanks to my loyalty"
Old Feb 16, 2015, 4:35 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
Got a skykit. Entered the information, was told at the end that the system was down, and to try again tomorrow. Today is tomorrow, and when trying again was told "sorry, this has already been used".
And now the resolution. Was offered $200, but the actual cert was for $150.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 4:56 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, Carnival VIFP Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Flew the Island Hopper UA154 leaving HNL 2/13 HNL-MAJ-KWA-KSA-PNI-TKK-GUM as part of a planned IAD-SFO-HNL-GUM-HKG itinerary to cross the Island Hopper off my bucket list.

Full story of what happened is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...iday-13th.html

Simply put: Island Hopper broke down in MAJ, required replacement part flown in from GUM, 21 hour delay, no other flights from MAJ on any airline. We spent the night on UA's dime (companion got a $250 hotel voucher for a hotel room for the three of us), and of three of the the $7-per-meal vouchers apiece (interesting how it's the same $7 whether at IAD or MAJ).

After this, I received a choice of $150 eCert or 7,500 miles, I'm not Premier. A 1k I was travelling with was offered $200 eCert (or, I believe it was 10,000 miles). I took the eCert.

My next question is: after leaving MAJ the next day, UA154's pilots went out on hours of service at TKK, forcing a 12 hour 3pm-3am delay with no hotels on island. I wonder if UA will offer anything for that, or identify the compendium of delays for passengers affected by both (pretty much anyone boarding from MAJ onward on that Island Hopper).

My trip to HKG was not going to happen at that point, so UA rebooked me GUM-NRT-IAD and protected my E+ purchase on the NRT-IAD leg that I had originally bought for my eastward Transpac from HKG.

Last edited by aoumd; Feb 17, 2015 at 7:38 pm
Old Feb 16, 2015, 6:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K
So I ended up getting a $250 ecert for a misconnect that required overnight.
But I also had to rebooked myself on $298 southwest flight.. so i'm kind of at a loss.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 7:37 pm

And when I asked them what was up, saying I wasn't after the $50, but I would like an explanation as to what happened, I got an email that didn't even have a "Dear Dr. Ahead" stating 2500 miles were added to my account. No explanation.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Leave it to UA to even manage to screw up the compensation.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 10:16 am

Programs: Mileage Plus
I'm a newbie in terms of compensation. But what is the typical compensation for a flight that was delayed 6 hours? This happened to me last year when I was on an award flight from ZRH to EWR. I got a 15 CHF lunch voucher and 5000 miles (UA initiated that). Since it was an award flight, I was okay with it.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by DavidWeb
I'm a newbie in terms of compensation. But what is the typical compensation for a flight that was delayed 6 hours? This happened to me last year when I was on an award flight from ZRH to EWR. I got a 15 CHF lunch voucher and 5000 miles (UA initiated that). Since it was an award flight, I was okay with it.
ZRH-EWR is eligible for EU261* meaning you are due 600 EUR for any delay over 4 hours (assuming compensable causes). Unfortunately UA may try to claim you forfeited than for a paltry number of miles. However, while it probably makes your fight more difficult, it should be possible to call them on their shenanigans and get your compensation.

*Yes, Switzerland is not an EU member state, however they have enacted EU261/2004 (just as all member states and Norway have) so the regulation and most everything you read about it will apply to your flight.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 11:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by wto605
ZRH-EWR is eligible for EU261* meaning you are due 600 EUR for any delay over 4 hours (assuming compensable causes).
It's actually triggered by a three hour delay, notwithstanding what the reg appears to say
Old Feb 20, 2015, 12:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Got 3750 miles as a goodwill gesture for a domestic flight delayed 3 hours earlier this week due to mx.

Was told that "typically compensation isn't given out for delays less than 4 hours" but this was a "goodwill" gesture. Miles posted immediately.

Still waiting on the crew timeout cancellation compensation from 2 weeks ago that killed a day off my business trip.
Old Feb 21, 2015, 6:21 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
What did you do for resolution? Did you contact United proactively (if so, how?) or just wait for them to reach out?
Old Feb 21, 2015, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by rch4u
What did you do for resolution? Did you contact United proactively (if so, how?) or just wait for them to reach out?
Got the skykit. Entered the information, and was offered 10K miles or $200 cert. Took the cert, and was told to try again later. Tried again later, and was told that the skykit number had already been used.

That's when I wrote 1kvoice. I explained the situation, and asked them to 'reset' the skykit number so I in fact could try again later.

They sent me an apology for the initial problem and a $150 cert.

I replied saying I wasn't going to pester them for $50, but would like to better understand how this happened - why do they think promising $200 and delivering $150 is the right thing to do?

Their reply, as I said, was an email saying here is 2500 miles. No explanation, and not even a salutation.

I have no doubt that if I badgered them enough, I could get them to pony up the other promised $50, possibly with a clawback of the 2500 miles. I also have no doubt that this would take many hours of my time - hours that I personally value as worth more than $50.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 8:58 pm

Programs: DL SILVER AMEX MRHH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Compenation Question/Request - What is fair

I was flying home and my Chicago - Boston flight was delayed for 2.5 hours for no other reason than a late aircraft on Saturday. It did a turn Chicago to Porta Vallerta and was simply very late, no weather issues at all. The gate agent said they were bringing in new aircraft from the hangar and the website said as much, then they kept every fifteen minutes changing, delayed due to incoming aircraft and then back to aircraft substitution.

Then the fun part, land in Boston at 115 a.m., nearly three hours late and it takes 90 minutes for the luggage to get unloaded.

What is fair to ask of United when I write in.

Thanks
Old Feb 22, 2015, 9:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
If it's under 4 hours and you're writing in without any Elite status, you're just going to get an apology letter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.