Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2015, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA GS / MM
I need a clarification on the rule of "no compensation for delay under 4 hours". I've asked UA twice on behalf of my daughter (no status) for a MX delay of 3 hours flight that resulted in her missing the ground transportation at the final destination. First time, UA said the delay was weather. After I showed them a screen shot of flight status (showing delay due to mechanical maintenance), I was told the rule of 4 hours (no compensation). I suppose that's the end of the matter. Is this true?
Old Jan 27, 2015, 3:54 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

Originally Posted by GS8101
I need a clarification on the rule of "no compensation for delay under 4 hours". I've asked UA twice on behalf of my daughter (no status) for a MX delay of 3 hours flight that resulted in her missing the ground transportation at the final destination. First time, UA said the delay was weather. After I showed them a screen shot of flight status (showing delay due to mechanical maintenance), I was told the rule of 4 hours (no compensation). I suppose that's the end of the matter. Is this true?
GS desk has told me about the same rule when it has affected me.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 4:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, SAS Diamond
Flew IAD-NRT in economy.
Seat would recline, but wouldn't stay there if I leaned forward.
Told the cabin crew about it and received the sky-kit....(if it's still called that today)
After filling it out, I received a nice email from UA and received 8750 miles.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:24 am

Programs: Won Kay
I had my HNL-ORD flight cancelled due to maintenance recently. I was rebooked and departed 24 hours later.

I sent 1Kvoice an email asking if they would consider giving me a GPU so I can U/G to Global First on an upcoming TLANT flight (I am ticketed in paid C), rather than worrying about asking to be reimbursed for my hotel, etc.

They said NO. But they did ask for my receipts for reimbursement. YMMV.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 9:39 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by roadkit
I had my HNL-ORD flight cancelled due to maintenance recently. I was rebooked and departed 24 hours later.

I sent 1Kvoice an email asking if they would consider giving me a GPU so I can U/G to Global First on an upcoming TLANT flight (I am ticketed in paid C), rather than worrying about asking to be reimbursed for my hotel, etc.

They said NO. But they did ask for my receipts for reimbursement. YMMV.
To be fair, RPUs and GPUs have rarely, if ever, been used as a service recovery tool offered as compensation.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 8:08 pm

Programs: Won Kay
Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
To be fair, RPUs and GPUs have rarely, if ever, been used as a service recovery tool offered as compensation.
I would have been fine if they had just upgraded me without any GPU changing hands.

All of that said, I was offered $200 hotel reimbursement or $400 flight credit.

I took the cash.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 6:11 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Flew PHL-SFO on a 739. Power outlets didnt work. Asked FA to turn on. (Usually I see them use the touch screen to turn it on). One of them called the cockpit and came back and said they were already on and that it cycles around the plane if there isnt enough power. I pointed out that none of the green lights were on in the entire F cabin. She said she wasnt sure. It stayed this way for the whole trip. So either the FA did not properly turn it on or it was broke.

Emailed cust serv. They called and left me a VM (a first for me) and gave me a $100 ecert. I thought this was pretty generous.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 10:18 am

Programs: 1K MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, AA Exec. Plat
Gate agent closed flight 5 minutes early and gave away my seat in first (I was CPU'd). 1Kvoice sent 2500 miles.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by donjo
Gate agent closed flight 5 minutes early and gave away my seat in first (I was CPU'd). 1Kvoice sent 2500 miles.
To be fair, you probably shouldn't have received compensation. Contract of carriage states you must be on board 10 minutes prior to departure.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by steveman518
Had an award ticket in J with the domestic segments in Y (waitlisted for domestic F). Gate agent refused to put me on the upgrade standby list despite acknowledging PR-1 status. E-mailed CS, said it would go to "internal review", and in the end no comp other than saying that all corrective measures are confidential...
And naturally I get 2.5k miles for a broken headphone jack...not sure how this all works
Old Jan 30, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by weirdlyndon
To be fair, you probably shouldn't have received compensation. Contract of carriage states you must be on board 10 minutes prior to departure.
Isnt it 15? (and even more for intl)
Old Feb 1, 2015, 10:51 am

Flight out of EWR to TLV Booked non-stop for my wife and I and a lap baby 10:45pm flight Saturday night.

Few hours before the flight got an E-mail flight was cancelled due to aircraft availability, called united they booked me on earlier flight leaves in less than 3 hours Lufthansa to Munich and then connect to TLV, I got to the airport Lufthansa, said flight was delayed you won’t make connecting go back to united. 45 minuted on line after taking air train with all luggage and baby United put me on a United to Madrid and connecting flight in Madrid 1 hour later to TLV via Iberia and they said luggage would be transferred to Iberia. We barely made the united flight, last one on the plane not sitting together and no meals since we ordered kosher previously, also they had to put our carry-on in first class since no more room and weren’t allowed to access it.

Once in Madrid we checked to see if our luggage was there in case they made a mistake it was, ran to Iberia terminal which we had to take a bus for 10 mins plus walk 20 mins, by then the plane had left which made no difference because when we went to Iberia CS United never put the lap baby on the ticket so they wouldn’t have let us board. Called united over 2 hours on the phone finally was told next flight to TLV was in 11 hours Iberia to TlV , we went back to Iberia CS after over hour on line was told cant check in Lap baby is still not on ticket, at this point it’s over 12 hours in we were exhausted haven’t eating and crying baby with us, I told Iberia to just charge me for baby the $155. We sat around in the airport with our two suitcases 2 carry ons, stroller and baby for the 11pm flight, also no kosher meals on this flight for us. We ended up getting to our destination Monday morning around 4am when originally we were supposed to get there Sunday 4 pm and we left on an earlier flight.
Lost out hotel reservations, a Tour we had scheduled Monday and a whole day of vacation. During our trip I called to see if we can come back a day later to make up the say we lost and they charged me around $150 per person.

A few days ago I e-mailed them for a refund on our flight, the reply was they got us to your destination so no refund is due, and they will refund me $86 for the lap baby which is what I paid United, keep in mind I had to pay Iberia $150 for their mistake. I also got an E-mail that they would give me $125 travel voucher for me and my wife. I think their offer is totally ridiculous it ruined over a day of my vacation which we saved up and planned for months, left earlier and got to our destination over 12 hours later had to sit away from my wife, sat in a airport all day with a baby, cost me a lot of extra money due to hotel we lost, tour we missed, paying United to extend our flight to the next day. I seriously am thinking of taking them to small claims court, I think I would have a better shot then going back and forth with them.

Last edited by l etoile; Feb 1, 2015 at 10:59 am Reason: Added some spacing for readability
Old Feb 2, 2015, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLT
I flew the PS service from JFK to LAX for a weekend. Both ways the flights were delayed by over an hour due to maintenance issues. I already complained about a similar delay in Dec and got compensated with miles. 2 weeks ago I got compensated for a flight without power in the galley leading to no wifi, no streaming and no hot tea/coffee on an A320...shall I complain again or will that make me look bad for constantly complaining?
Old Feb 2, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Happydayy
I flew the PS service from JFK to LAX for a weekend. Both ways the flights were delayed by over an hour due to maintenance issues. I already complained about a similar delay in Dec and got compensated with miles. 2 weeks ago I got compensated for a flight without power in the galley leading to no wifi, no streaming and no hot tea/coffee on an A320...shall I complain again or will that make me look bad for constantly complaining?
I think you have answered your own question. Did UA really compensate you in December for an "over an hour" delay?
Old Feb 2, 2015, 1:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
I think you have answered your own question. Did UA really compensate you in December for an "over an hour" delay?
Yes, instead of 9.30pm arrival we had a 1.30AM arrival and the FAs encouraged everyone repeatedly to contact UA for compensation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.