Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2015, 8:09 am

Originally Posted by aBroadAbroad
Welcome to FlyerTalk… since your post deals exclusively with a UA issue, it should be discussed here in the dedicated United Airlines forum.

Thanks.

Moderator, Information Desk
All good ... thanks for the catch. I didn't know this post belonged there.

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
#1 (I explain the numbers at the bottom)
6 examples marked above where you made derogatory remarks about various people. Maintenance, customer service, CEO, etc. or other less than respectful comments. I under that you were frustrated and upset. Anyone would be. But if this commentary reflects your attitude while communicating with Customer Service I'm not surprised that you walked away dissatisfied. None of these people damaged the plane. None of these people set out to hurt you. None of these people were at fault.

If you try to resolve a problem by saying "I have a problem, can you help me please" you'll get a better result than if you say "I have a problem, and it's your fault you incompetent, overpaid turd. Now fix it before I sue you".

Shelve the anger and you'll usually find you get a whole lot more help and cooperation.
I'm sorry that this is what you chose to focus on. - I'm going to leave my original comments, your response and this response as is and then walk away. I'm focused on solving the problem with my family. Let me assure you - the tone I'm taking here is not the tone I've taken with CS. I'm venting my frustration here so that I can maintain my composure with United this issue. I kept my cool when the plane was cancelled, when I spoke with all United agents on the phone before, during and after this incident and I kept my cool with my cab driver as well, even though the situation was as strange and ludicrous as I describe. I can't help that the facts I've described somehow sound disrespectful to you - they did happen as I stated, though.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 10:46 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Tchiowa

You realize that the minute you start with the "I'm calling my lawyer" routine then customer service puts down the phone or your letter, has a bit of a laugh between the agents, then tries to respond with a straight face.
+1

Since the merger, UA has been firing "bad" [read: less profitable] customers right and left with various changes to MP, customer service, and customer compensation policy.

It would not surprise me at all if service recovery training/guidelines encourage/reward giving less out to complaints where the customer is threatening legal or other negative ramifications.

These are exactly the kind of customers that UA management would be eager to drive away. Why should they encourage you to travel with them again, and then demand a lot the next time things go south?
Old Jan 22, 2015, 1:06 pm

Programs: DL BA Amex
Originally Posted by Kacee
No, this is exactly what travel insurance is intended to cover - circumstances outside of the passenger's control. By contrast, a change or cancellation "on the traveler's end" will be covered only in the most limited circumstances (injury, illness, etc.).

Airlines never cover consequential damages.
respectfully disagree... if UA is at fault for the loss, they should pay. I shouldn't have to pay for insurance to cover UA's error.

Now, if MY car breaks down on the way to the airport, or if I get sick and can't travel, etc... the bill is on my shoulders.

I understand the airlines rarely pay for these damages, but it doesn't mean they are right.

Besides, in the long run, travel insurance, (like any third party warranty) is a joke and a waste of money... IMHO.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 1:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Prem Exec, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
They can get the ticket refunded based on the change. There is almost certainly a better option on AA or AV than SFO-PHX-EWR-SJO. That is a horrible itinerary.
Thanks looking into this option.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, *G
Got 10,500 miles due to forced layover in SFO and missed international connection. Plane to SFO was late from EWR due to mechanical issues. I am 1K and got this by emailing a few days after the fact. Was comped hotel and $21 in food.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 6:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Gold MM, Hertz PC, Hyatt Globalist
Got upgraded last night from EWR to PIT (saw this on the UA app). Got to the gate and was advised I was downgraded. Sent an email to the 1K Desk and they threw 2,500 miles my way for my troubles. Pathetic.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 6:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Platinum, Alaksa MVP 75K, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Shamrock 105
Got upgraded last night from EWR to PIT (saw this on the UA app). Got to the gate and was advised I was downgraded. Sent an email to the 1K Desk and they threw 2,500 miles my way for my troubles. Pathetic.
Whoa...compensation for the downgrade should've happened on the spot in EWR. It would've been a travel voucher for around $250 (IIRC) - GG OVS DOWNGRADE is the command for the agent to type in the system for downgrade compensation.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by bajrbajr
respectfully disagree... if UA is at fault for the loss, they should pay. I shouldn't have to pay for insurance to cover UA's error.
THANK YOU. I really don't get the 'you should be fine with all of this' mentality - I purchased three very expensive tickets that stated United would have a flyable aircraft at that time and date for me to board. The fact that they failed in this regard caused us a substantial loss - it's really that simple.

+1 for your comment as well about travel insurance - there's no guarantee that they would have paid out for my loss, either.

Per everyone's kind suggestions, I:
Filed complaints with the DOT
Forwarded my story on to the ombundsman at Conde Nast.

We'll see where it goes from here - still no response from United to my wife, who filed her claim for her missing bag separately. You can argue that my 'tone' had something to do with United's responsiveness but my wife hasn't heard anything from them ... that's why I don't buy the whole 'just be nice and United will be nice to you' line. You can be direct, and come across as 'disrespectful' or whatever, or you can be nice - either way, they aren't paying attention.

Last edited by BankRobbersKid; Jan 22, 2015 at 9:46 pm
Old Jan 22, 2015, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by BankRobbersKid
... that's why I don't buy the whole 'just be nice and United will be nice to you' line. ...
Ironically, if anything UA responds better to customers who aren't nice. That's not just IME but the reported experiences of other FT'ers too. Just look at all the reports on here of having to file DoT complaints to get problems resolved.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 2:15 am

Originally Posted by gengar
Ironically, if anything UA responds better to customers who aren't nice. That's not just IME but the reported experiences of other FT'ers too. Just look at all the reports on here of having to file DoT complaints to get problems resolved.
I think the point is to be nice, but firm.

But, I agree, 100% - getting the DOT involved will get the best results if it is even close to being a DOT matter.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 3:53 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by bajrbajr
Originally Posted by BankRobbersKid
THANK YOU. I really don't get the 'you should be fine with all of this' mentality - I purchased three very expensive tickets that stated United would have a flyable aircraft at that time and date for me to board. The fact that they failed in this regard caused us a substantial loss - it's really that simple.
That may be your opinion, and it may seem to be fair and logical, but it is not supported by the contract, the law, or any other policy.

As long as we are discussing what we think we are entitled to, rather than what we are actually entitled to, I think United should pay $5 million to cover the loss of a major contract that my company didn't get because my flight got delayed and I missed the negotiating session.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by 110pgl
I think the point is to be nice, but firm.

But, I agree, 100% - getting the DOT involved will get the best results if it is even close to being a DOT matter.
I certainly agree with any recommendation to be polite. My point is simply that the notion that the perception of rudeness on the part of a customer should necessarily result in worse service provided is nothing more than incredibly self-righteous condemnation - and as far as UA goes, with little basis in reality.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 1:09 pm

4.5 hour delay on BNA-ORD-SPI trip due to maintenance issue on originating flight

Hi,

Any compensation available for flight delayed due to aircraft maintenance?

This morning my 17-tear old son was scheduled to fly on UA 3347 - BNA-ORD, connecting to UA 5396 - ORD-SPI, but the flight out of Nashville was "Delayed due to aircraft maintenance", causing him to miss the connecting flight, and resulting in his expected arrival at SPI to be 548 pm instead of 107 pm.

Is he eligible for compensation or even a meal voucher while he waits for the connecting flight? He asked for a meal voucher and was told no.

Last edited by Hockey Sd; Jan 25, 2015 at 1:26 pm
Old Jan 25, 2015, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K; *G and *A Top 1000; HHonors Diamond; *$ Gold; Global Entry
Originally Posted by Hockey Sd
Hi,

Any compensation available for flight delayed due to aircraft maintenance?

This morning my 17-tear old son was scheduled to fly on UA 3347 - BNA-ORD, connecting to UA 5396 - ORD-SPI, but the flight out of Nashville was "Delayed due to aircraft maintenance", causing him to miss the connecting flight, and resulting in his expected arrival at SPI to be 548 pm instead of 107 pm.

Is he eligible for compensation or even a meal voucher while he waits for the connecting flight? He asked for a meal voucher and was told no.
Email should get you a gesture of apology. Yes, son should have been given a meal voucher.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 4:15 pm

Had an award ticket in J with the domestic segments in Y (waitlisted for domestic F). Gate agent refused to put me on the upgrade standby list despite acknowledging PR-1 status. E-mailed CS, said it would go to "internal review", and in the end no comp other than saying that all corrective measures are confidential...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.