Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United Consolidated Compensation Thread [2015]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2015, 8:46 pm

Programs: UA 1K
missed connection: refund possible?

Hi,

I missed my connection today because of a mechanical problem. I arrived 1.2h late. I was rebooked the next day with hotel voucher waiting for me at the gate.

I ended up rebooking myself on Southwest, because it was the only flight left for the day. And cx doesn't have an agreement with them.

Do you think UAL will pay for the expense? What should i expect for compensation? Do I need to cancel the ticket that I won't be using?

Thx!
Old Feb 9, 2015, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
In this situation, UA will refund the unflown portion since you made your own arrangements.

You should cancel the unwanted segment over the phone and request a refund.
Old Feb 9, 2015, 8:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by schnitzer
... And cx doesn't have an agreement with them. ...
cx?

...Do you think UAL will pay for the expense? ...
no

...What should i expect for compensation? Do I need to cancel the ticket that I won't be using? ....
Yes cancel the ticket befre flight time and ask for a refund. You might get a small number of miles or credit for a future flights for the MX.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 9:27 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
cx?
I wanted to say customer service/ UAL

thanks for the advice..

Anyway, I cancelled the flight I'm not going to use and I just sent in my receipts.. let's see what they say. I'm glad to be able to get to work on time.. and not at 1pm.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 11:47 am

So I sent a nice e-mail request to CS and asked politely to please reconsider.
This is part of the answer I got : "Please understand United Airlines uses a tiered model when determining goodwill considerations and reviews our guidelines annually to make sure that they are properly aligned to several determining factors. Our intentions are to find a mix of meaningful options for our customers giving consideration to elite status, cabin flown and service event. Based on these criteria, we are unable to issue the additional goodwill you are seeking." However, this time they didn't give me an option:"I will add 5,000 goodwill miles to your MileagePlus account." Bothersome is the inconsistency as well, although UA states: "In review of your flight, I have determined the goodwill extended to you is consistent with that provided to other customers with similar MileagePlus status and situations." However, Mrs. EX, who is 1K as well, but flies much less than me, consistently got better compensation. And we got offered more for a 3 hrs delay, than for an overnight delay and again nearly nothing for a complete trip cancellation. Overall a quite unsatisfying experience but consistent with their view of us as being overentitled.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 2:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Question as I've not really done this before (guess I've been lucky) - had a flight CX last week because the crew timed out - ended up not getting to destination until approx. 24 hours after originally scheduled. Is it worth writing in asking for compensation? And if so, what is reasonable?
Old Feb 11, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
Asian/Indian-veg meal confirmed (night before by phone and also at check in), business class, FRA-ORD, award ticket, MM Gold. No meal and the breakfast and snacks had no veg option (although did get the bad pasta main for dinner). (I'm semi-convinced my meal was given to a loudly complaining First class GS customer who refused to accept his veg meal option, but that's another story/speculation.)

8,750 miles or $175 e-cert. Web site just bombed on me when trying to redeem, so now will try later or call in I guess.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 11:35 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Au, IHG Au
Received 7,500 miles for a 5 hour late international flight. As a 1K I received 8,500 miles under similar circumstances in December. FWIW, United rebooked my connecting flight with no fuss and I was even upgraded to first on the domestic segment.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 1:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold, Priority Club/Intercontinental Platinum Ambassador
10k miles for me and 10k miles for my husband (unsolicited, they must've looked up my conf # and saw that he was on it as well) for a missed connection with varying explanations given for the delay that stuck us in DEN overnight. Arrived at the connecting gate 2 minutes past departure time (literally) and the system said the flight actually left the gate early. It was an RJ and at least 6 others missed it with us.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 10:12 am

Programs: UA
8750 miles for a late incoming flight (they claimed mechanical but the original reason on the app said late incoming crew) from YVR-SFO. Caused me to misconnect to SFO-HND-SIN. Computer would only reticket me next day through to Tokyo, club agent was flustered and snarky, refused to try to get me on the midnight SQ or BR flights, considered herself a job well done to find SFO-HND-SIN for the following day. Wasted a lot of time poking her way thru my ticket, finally said "Oh, I guess I'll give you a hotel because you're 1K." Called phone center, first agent didn't know how to ticket things, second agent said it's too close in time, try the customer service counter. CSC could no longer see the BR option, and SQ could only get me to HKG on SQ1. Overnighted in SFO (hilariously next to a truck completely on fire).

Is 8750 miles acceptable? (I don't have a good sense of what's appropriate in this situation)
Old Feb 13, 2015, 7:57 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Got a skykit. Entered the information, was told at the end that the system was down, and to try again tomorrow. Today is tomorrow, and when trying again was told "sorry, this has already been used".
Old Feb 14, 2015, 7:03 am

Programs: Won Kay
Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
"I will add 5,000 goodwill miles to your MileagePlus account."
Note the words they use. It's as if they are doing you a favor -- giving goodwill -- instead of admitting they failed to provide the service for which you contracted, and how their failure created a serious expense for you.

At least they could be honest about it. Say something like this:

"We're in this business to make money, period. If we can avoid compensating people like you for the inconvenience and expense you incurred due to our poor service, we will do so. But since you have been so tenacious in demanding we provide even a slight modicum of customer service and recompense for the trouble we caused, here's some useless crumbs for you to chew on. Crumbs that actually cost us nothing to give away."
Old Feb 15, 2015, 8:53 am

A postscript regarding my unfortunate experience. Received letter from UA regarding the 4 1/2 late flight LAX-SFO which resulted in me missing my SFO-HKG connection.

"Reason for Delay/Cancellation : The flight was delayed due to predominate extreme weather"

No mention that pilot left the cockpit and they had to search for a replacement for two hours. Weather?

Combine this with the $ 100/5000K "Goodwill" and I am done with United.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 6:46 am

Programs: UA GS / MM
Offered 25,000 miles or $500 for a cancelled TPAC (mx and crew timeout).
Old Feb 16, 2015, 9:00 am

a friend of mine, with Silver Status, just flew a TPAC flight and the movies did now work for the entire plane. The Purser announced that if they were a MP member, they would get compensation via email. My friend was offered $25 as compensation. He emailed back to customer service saying that, what was offered was a slap in the face, but the reply from MP CS was the $25 was final!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.